Career, Physics and Goals (was: Artificial General Intelligence Speculations)

If you don’t know the (underlying) cause of an error, then you don’t know the consequences of that (underlying) error, so it’s not safe to ignore it.

Did you respond to this issue somewhere?

How did you determine that I’m biased? Did you find (and say anything about?) an error? Why is this (IIRC) the first I’m hearing of it?

Then why are you shocked that I reached a different conclusion about it than you did?

Could you see how this is a systematic weakness or bias in how schools approach and train math? They’re not even trying to address some aspects of how to think about math.

Is this another mistake that you will dismiss as not important, or do you see a major concern here? In general, I find it very hard to talk to people productively when they dismiss errors as unimportant. If a general abstract explanation (e.g. about bad philosophy causing systemic errors in a field) doesn’t work, and also particular examples don’t work, then what would work? It’s hard enough to convince someone that I’m right about any examples when there’s a large underlying disagreement / perspective difference. But even when I succeed at that, people often don’t really care.