Curiosity – Caffeine Is Bad

In general, I think it’s good for people to engage with other ideas and communities, not be isolated at only one place or point of view. I’m not a big fan of say Kant, Aristotle or Hobbes, but if you wanted to try reading them and talking to some of their fans, I wouldn’t want to actively discourage that.

You can read some of my opinions on LW and EA (and/or skim some of their stuff) and judge for yourself if you want to engage with them or not.

One opinion you might have is like “hey that looks pretty bad, but maybe you left something out; it’s only your side of the story not theirs; I don’t want to just take your word for it and reject them based on trusting you” in which case you might want to ask them about it and hear their side of the story, which I don’t think will go very well, but people are welcome to try it.

Or if you’re not seeking new stuff currently (got enough to do already) you could just put this in a “maybe later” category.

One bad thing I’ve seen people do is they will engage with two communities in a separate, isolated way. So like one might draw them in and persuade them of some stuff, and they never bring up those ideas at the other community to hear opinions/rebuttals. So basically rational debate doesn’t happen and the communities are implicitly competing at being appealing in other ways.