Curiosity – Caffeine Is Bad

Yes that’s how I always used to take the word before “problematic language” started being a thing. I didn’t mean to imply you meant it as anything like the intrusive-controlling way, I was just exploring possible reasons behind my response. It seems like I might have subconsciously allowed the intrusive-controlling use of the word to be too pervasive in my mind without realising it. Possibly something that infected me from social media (which I used to be more active on and care about, I barely use it now).

I did (though it’s possible I missed things).

I think it’s unambiguously stated that caffeine etc usage should be disclosed where progress gets stuck like that.

I’m unclear if you mean only that, or if you mean it should be disclosed at all times. Here are a couple excerpts that lead me to think you might mean at all times as they are more general statements.
1:

Being drunk while posting would be more extreme and more unreasonable. But from a rational/logoical perspective, the difference is quantitative not qualitative. It’s less bad by degree to only have one beer instead of being drunk, but it’s the same kind of thing. Beer makes it harder for you to think straight. So do coffee, nicotine and pot.

2:

It’s kinda like if people were trying to have conversations with me while drunk and didn’t disclose that they were drunk. I think a lot of readers would find that example pretty bad and see my point about how that would be mistreating me. Doing the same thing with caffeine, sleep deprivation, other drugs or smaller doses of alcohol is also unreasonable in a similar way to doing undisclosed drunk conversations. It’s the same issue qualitatively, just less bad as a matter of degree, but still bad.

Whether you mean full disclosure at all times, or just disclosure when facing a stuck problem, that will impact the context of some other questions I want to ask once I understand this point.

I wasn’t clear there. I didn’t mean that I think you genuinely expect that of everyone. But I’ve read quite a few of your articles and had the sense that you wouldn’t mean it that way as a result. In isolation, if someone were to read this article on it’s own or without much context, I think it could be easily misunderstood and this could be avoided e.g. if you replaced “everyone” with “them” (referring to the fans mentioned in the previous paragraph).

Yes, good point. “intrusive” is the wrong word. I was guessing at why I was having a strong reaction.
It’s hard to recreate my thinking behind it now, as I don’t have the same reaction reading it anymore. So the guess about intrusiveness seems to have just been a bad one.

I think even face to face people often lie and say they’re fine. I think there’s a lot of shame around getting angry, and it can seem like “losing” or an admission of fault to be the one getting angry in an argument where people are concerned with status.

I feel like I need to acknowledge this but I’m struggling to pick good words so this is probably going to be clumsy.
It seems sad. I guess it feels out of place to be sympathetic here, and I don’t want to be intrusive, but you have my sympathies. I don’t have a high opinion of the state of humanity myself. But within everyone there’s potential for boundless growth. Humanity remains the best thing that exists.

I have a feeling that you were making another point that I’m missing.