Doubtingthomas Philosophy Topic

No. You should have done like 20x more work to resolve this on your own before trying to solicit Elliot’s attention, and effort explaining himself.

Try instead:

• Original:
  • Equivalent (modification in bold):

It’s important how one handles open questions or candidate ideas that one doesn’t yet have a conclusion about. A reason it’s important is so that those things don’t lead to negative emotions.

This is a misquote. You misquoted a quote that was evident directly above your misquote. It says “including so those things”.

The misquote could be a source of your confusion. But instead of doing a super-minor double check to see if you’d read and re-written correctly, you chose to spread that confusion to others.

What is the purpose of saying “It’s a mistake that I make quite often.”? Are you trying to get someone to pursue that line of thought with you, to explain what the root cause of the mistake is/could be, how it ties into general issues in your thinking, and so on? If you are, you should say so. You should open up a separate topic, and be clear about your asks.

What I think the purpose of “It’s a mistake that I make quite often.” is, is that you are trying to make others witness to your self-deprecation. You’re conveying I can’t even get question marks right. You are trying to signal how weak and pitiful you are. You are presenting a complex that is seriously problematic. This judgement is formed partially based your posting history.

Disclaimer: Although I’m replying to something in Unbounded, I have not addressed this recent curi article; and really, actually, genuinely, I’m not ready for strictly unbounded discussion. This is a one-off reply that fails to be better-placed elsewhere.

1 Like