Following Along Async Tutoring [Dface]

I read Prepositional Phrases and Prepositional Phrase Examples for 10 minutes. I wanted to go back and read piece by piece. It took me 16 mins to write this post.

Prepositional Phrases

Prepositions are words like “with”, “to”, “in”, “about” and “of” which relate a noun to something else in the sentence.

I think I was having trouble with the relate part of the sentence. It helped to look up what relate meant so I just don’t rely on my intuition.

A prepositional phrase is a type of modifier .

Ok, I see how a preposition and its noun makes up a prepositional phrase and it counts as one modifier.

A noun used with a preposition is never the subject, object or complement of the sentence. Each noun has one job in the sentence.

Ok that sounds good. It makes it easier to find what role each word has.

Prepositions express a relationship between a part of the sentence and some additional information.

That makes sense. The preposition relates its noun and its modifiers to whatever its modifying.

Prepositional Phrase Examples

The prepositional phrase “at stamps” is an adverb modifying “looks”. It tells us what John is looking at.

Just like any modifier you gotta find what the prepositional phrase is modifying.

In “John sat in his chair.”, the preposition is “in” and its noun is “chair”. The prepositional phrase “in his chair” is an adverb modifying “sat”. It tells us what John sat in.

I see in the end of every paragraph in the section it’s making sense of what the prepositional phrase is doing in the sentence. Like prepositional phrases literally give us more information about what the sentence means.

1 Like