Gaslighting discussion (split from: Justin’s Miscellaneous Posts)

The Facebook stuff you’re analogizing to is written differently than the example we’re talking about here, and I wouldn’t have had a problem with it or have been confused by it.

I treat statements related to forum policy and what I can and can’t do as literal statements for various reasons. When I haven’t done that, I have caused problems. So I took it as a literal rule (albeit one I had no idea how to abide by).

I understand that context matters, but I don’t see how you get to what you said from “please don’t post anything that puts a potential burden on me to respond or act.”

Are there any other examples of things of this nature (statements re: forum policy/rules/behavior) that you think I shouldn’t try to interpret literally, or is this the only one?

I ignored the request to not impose potential burdens because I had no idea how to implement it and keep posting, and I thought that if Elliot wanted me to cease posting, he would say that and not imply that via another statement. Any posting at all seemed like a potential violation, since any post, AFAIK, might impose a “potential burden” (very broad) to “respond or act” (also very broad).

The “Please don’t assume” part is what I thought was addressing the rule violation directly, and I’ve tried to abide by that (including mistakenly not posting here for a while). I read that as “Please don’t assume” [you can post places besides where you were literally told you can post]. And then I thought the second part, the part about burdens, was saying an additional, separate point, and that is what I was confused by and the part I ignored.

I’ll note that I took the “Please don’t assume” part, with the implied words or something like them added, as something I should abide by precisely, and not a request for best efforts or good faith or something like that. So there were two ideas. Both of the form Please don’t [X]. And I read both of them as things that I should follow precisely, which seems consistent to me. I had to imply words for one because it was too short to get much meaning from otherwise; I didn’t think Elliot was telling me to make no assumptions ever in life or something like that.