Justin Does SICP

FWIW I found it helpful to spend lots of time looking at other answers when doing my Simply Scheme stuff. And the harder a time I had with the problem (or especially if I couldn’t solve it myself), then the more important it was for me to look at other people’s answers and do detailed analysis.

The internet is helpful cuz there are so many Githubs and blogs out there so that if you’re working through some standard material you can find answers that you can check your answers against. And you can also get a sense over time of who the good people are (people with succinct high quality solutions) and focus on them.

Anyways I think it’s interesting cuz I had a perspective shift where trying to solve the problem on my own kind of became more of a beginning or intermediate step than the final step. Like you read some material, then you try an exercise, and that’s where most people stop. But you can look at a bunch of different ways of solving the problem and do detailed analysis on them, or do some super detailed analysis about why your solution works, or various other things.

One issue I’ve had is not wanting to look at answers and getting stuck when I can’t solve a problem. But by figuring out other stuff I can do even if I need to look at the answer, I’ve addressed that problem somewhat

1 Like