JustinCEO Topic

Continuing the discussion from ChatGPT and Current AIs Are Dumb:

@qwerty

Got curious about this since it’s professionally relevant and I didn’t super confidently know the answer. After looking into it, I think perhaps ChatGPT is “thinking” of a SEP-IRA but it misapplied that info to Trad IRAs & Roths

When must I deposit the contributions into the SEP-IRAs?

You must deposit contributions for a year by the due date (including extensions) for filing your federal income tax return for the year. If you obtain an extension for filing your tax return, you have until the end of that extension period to deposit the contribution, regardless of when you actually file the return.

Somewhat relatedly, it’s apparently very common for people to think that getting an extension to file their taxes also delays their obligation to pay their taxes. That is not how it works. You still have to pay your taxes by the deadline, even with an extension. There are separate penalties for failure to file and failure to pay.

On the general topic of software tools spitting out bad information, check out what Bing showed me for “sep ira contribution deadline with extension”.