Meditation

Since you’re on CF, I assume that you like Objectivism. I think Sam Harris’s ideas about the self (that the self is an illusion, and, consequently, that it’s good to see through the illusion) conflict with Objectivism. Few of Ayn Rand’s ideas would make any sense at all if there was no self.

Further, I see meditation (or at least the type of meditation that Harris advocates, vipassana meditation) as being about training oneself to stop caring about problems on-demand. When you meditate, you are training yourself to be able to blank out more effectively. One of the main points of Objectivism is that your moral obligation is to use reason to solve your problems, and that blanking them out is wrong.

I agree with anon55’s comment.

What Sam Harris believes partially resembles what Ellsworth Toohey says to Catherine Halsey in the scene in The Fountainhead where she complains to him that she’s miserable. Rather than helping Catherine solve her problems through reason, Ellsworth basically says she should blank them out and forget about herself. Some telling snippets:

And only when it [the ego] is dead, when you care no longer, when you have lost your identity and forgotten the name of your soul—only then will you know the kind of happiness I spoke about, and the gates of spiritual grandeur will fall open before you.

Now you see how difficult it is to discuss these things when our entire language is the language of individualism, with all its terms and superstitions. ‘Identity’—it’s an illusion, you know.