If catching up is where you learn a bunch of CF based on prerequisites then when you’re doing the catch up phase, you’re saving some CF to learn later. That way it’ll catch up to your prerequisites I think. I think there’s probably a lot of CF topics to catch up on. You can get some to be at 5 points or others at 15 points.
This sentence I think supports my last paragraph. The catch up phase doesn’t have to be done to catch up on everything about CF. It makes sense cuz I think that would be a lot of CF to catch up on. I kind of had that theory in the back of my mind while reading the whole article. I just treated learning CF as one whole thing.
The next quoted sentence:
I think that single phase is the catch up phase. Seeing it as one whole phase is an approximation. That seems like you add up all the catching up you would do to learn CF and treat it as one whole. It’s a total to talk about to help explain cycling between prerequisites. That way you don’t gotta mention every single catch up phase involved in catching your CF up to your prerequisites.