SENS, Aubrey de Grey, and Harassment

https://www.tiktok.com/@lovelyleobrie/video/6995546733497306373

But if we live for ever, de Grey points out, that may mean having to dispense with social conventions like marriage and monogamy.

He’s already started doing that — in a hilarious 2014 documentary, The Immortalists, de Grey and his biologist wife Adelaide Carpenter, 19 years his senior, were filmed writhing around on the grass on one of their naked picnic expeditions. (Adelaide said they’d met at a Cambridge student party at which his opening words to her were: ‘Justify your existence’.)

But Adelaide unhappily explained that while their 23-year marriage was still a loving one, de Grey was having affairs with three other women. One was 45 and another 24, both somewhat younger than 68-year-old Adelaide. Still, such age differences will hardly matter when everyone lives for ever, added de Grey. Adelaide revealed that her openly polyamorous husband wanted all his women to live together with him. ‘It’s so not my scene,’ she said. They divorced three years later in 2017.

In the film, de Grey also said he saw himself as a ‘poster boy for future lifestyles’ in which immortality would mean big age differences between people, including sexual partners, would become far less important.

Like underwear, monogamy makes no sense, he insists.

‘What is so special about sex that it’s the one thing that you only do with one person?’ he said a few years ago. ‘If you have a regular chess partner they’re not going to complain if you acquire a second regular chess partner.’

1 Like

Aubrey de Grey was fired by SENS for interfering with the sexual harassment investigation

more info here, including a statement from Aubrey https://www.reddit.com/r/longevity/comments/p94ynf/statement_from_sens_re_aubrey/h9v8s3p?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Finished reading. Aubrey’s an idiot, jesus christ.

Someone in the reddit thread summarizes:

If you are ever accused of misconduct:

• Do not post “a short statement intimating that they (your accusers) had been set up.”
  • Do no act go on record “exaggerating” in response to “inaccurate information” received a few hours prior. Wait for the facts.
  • Do not send vague emails that could easily be construed as threats against careers.

God, I am (further) lowering my opinion of all SENS related claims Aubrey has ever made and suspecting I’d find a lot more flaws in Ending Aging if I reread it today. (Also, someone could do a scholarship check on that book. You’d probably find misquotes, bad cites, etc.) This is worse than his first response, which was already bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/longevity/comments/p94ynf/statement_from_sens_re_aubrey/h9vmsgy/

I personally still view the accusations as highly suspect, blown out of proportion, and likely done for malicious purposes. With that said, doing this was dumb. I’m sure he didn’t even realize what he was doing, he seems to be a bit socially inept, but nevertheless this whole thing is just sad.

This is an interesting (and biased) way to defend AdG. Does this poster not realize that AdG’s “socially inept” screw up is evidence that the accusations are true? He is accused of doing socially inept screw ups with girls, most of which (conceivably all) he presumably didn’t even realize he was doing, but which nevertheless crossed lines.

I donated USD 3200 since 2019, but I just cancelled the monthly remittance order. I do not wish my money to be spent on things other than science and advocacy – e.g. an independent investigator. If they suspect a crime, they should report it to the authorities, instead of putting the expenses on the bills of the donors.

jfc this guy thinks they shouldn’t have hired an investigator and cancelled his donations b/c he thinks that was an unforgiveable waste of money which should have been paid for by tax payers.

This guy gave a reasonable response re the investigator, and also said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/longevity/comments/p94ynf/statement_from_sens_re_aubrey/h9ydvb9/

given Aubrey’s notorious drinking

One of the reddit posts mentioned lifespan.io as a possible alternative to SENS. But when I looked at their achievements they led off mentioning working with SENS and raising $390k.

Anyone have opinions about lifespan.io or know of other alternatives to SENS?

The very first endnote in Ending Aging is pretty BS. The text:

In the industrialized world, the proportion of deaths that are attributable to aging is around 90 percent—yes, that means that for every person who dies of all causes other than aging added together, be it homicide, road accidents, AIDS, whatever, somewhere around ten people die of aging.1

The note:

1. There are many available sources of the number of deaths from various causes in various parts of the world. A reasonably concise one from which the approximate numbers I give here can be derived is: Lopez AD, Mathers CD, Ezzati M, Jamison DT, Murray CJ. Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet 2006;367(9524): 1747–1757.

He cites the whole paper and doesn’t say which specific data he used (there’s a bunch of data in the paper) or how he coded stuff as aging-related (glancing at it, the paper doesn’t seem to categorize stuff as specifically related to old age). He talks about the “industrialized world” but that’s not terminology the paper authors use (they instead discuss e.g. “high-income countries”.) And he basically tells the reader to figure it out (“can be derived”) and hedges by calling his claim “approximate numbers” in case anybody complains.

More from Aubrey

I think it is time to update you all on the ongoing matter. The independent investigation remains ongoing, so there are still some things I feel unable to divulge for fear of such action again being maliciously caricatured (not by the investigator, let me be clear!) as interference, but I can share quite a few developments that are unrelated to the investigation.

First of all: on Monday morning, the entire SRF staff were told about my termination. I was obviously not present at the meeting, but many of those present have relayed its content to me. To describe their reaction as “rage” would be such an understatement as to be an abuse of the English language: their collective incandescence could power the whole of Mountain View right now. I have been told that they are living in terror of saying anything publicly, for fear of making things worse as a result of malicious mischaracterisation of their intentions, so I speak here for them. They have converged on the statement that “none of us have ever suffered or witnessed such harassment by Aubrey or in the context of the SENS Research Foundation. Moreover, contrary to what has been stated, none of us ever heard of such incidents occurring in connection with our workplace or our founder prior to the recent allegations”.

Second: I remain adamant that Celine is not a bad person and has made her allegation in good faith as a result of a false memory, rather than making it up. This is especially because I have (belatedly) learned that someone has reported indeed seeing Celine in distress after the dinner. I think it is already public knowledge that Celine was, until this month, under the false impressions (a) that I had ordered the termination of her D.Phil funding from SRF as revenge for her action in making allegations of habitual harassment against someone at Oxford with power over her, and (b) that I also acted to prevent wider knowledge of those allegations so as to allow that person to continue working in the longevity community. In fact, I knew nothing of the allegations, nor of the termination of Celine’s funding, until this month - nor even that she had not received her D.Phil. Celine’s August 10th post, together with her post about habitual harassment which I first saw that same day, made it immediately obvious to me who the alleged harasser is, but I won’t name him quite yet: I haven’t yet heard his side of this ugly story, and you know what, that matters rather a lot to me.

My current best guess, based on the still somewhat fragmentary data available to me, is that these matters were kept from me by others who DID have those anti-Celine, pro-harasser intentions, because they realised that if I were informed of the situation I would act very swiftly (subject to hearing his side of the story!) to excise the harasser from the community for good. One mustn’t blame Celine for failing to consider that possibility, because there has always been a clear assumption by the wider world - an assumption that will, I assure you, become correct after I get my foundation back - that no meaningful decision at SRF can ever be made without my approval, let alone without my knowledge. But the point, obviously, is that it doesn’t take much imagination to work out that Celine must have been hating me to her core for the past couple of years: sufficiently, perhaps, to allow her (given her courageously self-confessed limitations documented in her “My Flaws” post) to develop a distorted memory of who actually reduced her to tears that night. (Of note, the alleged habitual harasser was present at the dinner.) That’s my best guess right now, given the data available to me.

Third: Celine alleges that a misogynistic culture has long existed at SRF, e.g. with senior management being in the habit of rating interns by looks. I therefore feel it’s useful to spell out that:

• over 2/3 of SRF’s staff (and, historically, at least half of our interns) are female (and in case you’re wondering, in most cases I played no part in the hiring of those women!);

• only one member of staff has ever said anything to me along those lines (albeit he did so repeatedly), and that was always in private;

• it had never (until now…) occurred to me that he might have been making such statements more widely.

(It is not irrelevant, however, that Celine was the person who featured the most frequently in his remarks to me.) That person is not the alleged harasser, but he is the person I view as most likely (based on data available to me as of now, which I repeat remains fragmentary) to have colluded with the alleged harasser as outlined above. (And he was present at the dinner.) Let me be totally clear: beyond those private remarks to me by that one man, the culture at SRF has been uniformly non-sexist, as is decisively demonstrated by the prevailing mood among the (mostly female) staff that I summarised at the top of this post. Also, I have not yet heard that man’s side of the story either, hence my non-naming of him.

More to come. Keep watching this space - and also STAT, whose interest in this matter is not waning.

Aubrey (my bold):

Also Aubrey, 2 weeks before being busy with the public allegations against him: Ignores me (who he previously spent a lot of time with – a 200 page conversation – so I’m not a stranger) when I informed him that another of his Oxford buddies, David Deutsch, lied about me and encouraged severe harassment against me from his fans, and that the problem is ongoing because they come to my spaces and won’t leave me alone. (Note as context that Aubrey is friends with Deutsch, has had dinner with Deutsch, has praised Deutsch, and recorded a video of him talking with Deutsch.)

So I don’t believe him about what he would have done if he’d known about another Oxford harasser.

This quote alone is kinda BS.

If it’s actually 90 percent, that would be nine aging deaths per other death, not ten.

Both numbers say “around”, but they don’t match. The text “yes, that means” indicates they should match. And if he meant 91% he would have said “over 90 percent” instead of rounding it against his own point.

2 Likes

SENS just sent out a newsletter that omits the news that they fired AdG.

https://mailchi.mp/sens.org/srf-news-aug-10-13423954

guy gets caught cheating minecraft. he was asked for log files which he handed over which proved he cheated

he then claimed that was his only cheated run. all the rest were legit. which was a total lie. many others had the same suspicious signs that got him investigated in the first place

he hadn’t handed over proof they were definitely cheated so he apologized for the one error and said the rest legit

reminds me of AdG, who admitted to the one bad thing he did that was documented in writing (the email trying to have a sexual relationship with the underage girl) but then he denied doing anything else that there wasn’t hard proof of. then in later writing he focused only on the stuff there wasn’t hard proof of (celine related) and never mentioned the proven stuff again (laura related). many fans who write comments seem unaware that he admitted that one of the major accusations was true, though i don’t recall any of them specifically saying that laura might be wrong or lying like they do with celine.

Coincidentally, part of the investigative report has now come out:

NOTE: There are two links at the bottom of the page linked above which contain more details.

Short summary of the biggest news is there’s substantially more evidence of Aubrey’s guilt including another email, where he calls the woman “hotter than hell”.

I read email 5 as him telling Celine, in writing, that he really does want her to charm and sleep with donors. He found out that she was bothered about what he’d said and thought if he explained why it’s a good idea in writing she’d be convinced. He seems to think the issue must have been that when they were drunk and he was speaking verbally she didn’t fully follow his logic.

so, hm, it has been drawn to my attention that you took more exception some time ago than I’d appreciated to my discussion of how you might maximise your contribution to the longevist mission. So…

When I was much younger I had a couple of relationships with women who were very smart but, being teenaged, had not had time to demonstrate it. It was important to them that I not compliment them too much on their (very considerable) physical attributes, and I respected that at the time and still do. But for those of us who have already achieved plenty in life, and who thus have nothing to prove, the same does not apply. I have a mission in life, and I have no compunction whatsoever in furthering it by means that have nothing to do with my intellect, whether that be my ability to feign a reasonably aristocratic accent or my own physical attributes. Similarly, I view it as not only acceptable but positively recommended that those of my colleagues who are similarly committed to this same mission should take whatever advantage may be available, of whatever attributes they may possess, to influence those who have major potential to further that mission - and, to the extent that they do so without even thinking about it, that they not be all coy and in denial they they do so. There’s a war on, my friend; there’s no time to be all pompous about some hypothetical greater value of those enviable features that one has earned through hard work over those that one was born with. We need to work with what we have, however we obtained it.

His email to Laura is included and is even worse than Laura said.

Corruptors - haha, the good news is that there were two of them, to chaperone each other :-) Corruption is a two-way street… if the finalist in question was [censored name] it was probably the guys who needed strength in numbers…

Heh… an admission for you - you probably know (it’s public) that I have a fairly adventurous love life, and I’m not coy in talking about it, but I’ve always taken care to avoid letting conversations stray in that direction with someone so young as you, and I confess that that has always felt quite jarring given that I could treat you as an equal on every other level. Maybe those days are over…

That last sentence “Maybe those days are over…” is saying pretty directly that he wants to have a sexual relationship with her now. What does does he think may be over? The days when she was age 14-16 and he had to keep his mouth shut instead of flirting with her.