Super Fast Super AIs [curi.us post]

My ongoing situation is that I don’t have serious goals or plans related to CF, and I don’t have a good idea about asks or offers either.

Some of my unserious goals related to CF are:

Have an intellectual hobby

Learn things in an easy and unplanned/unstructured way

Stay informed about ideas that could be really important

Bigger picture, I still have the goal of helping life extension research with more than just small donations. I had formulated a plan and written some business collateral involving SENS. I was preparing to go public[1] with it when the Aubrey harassment stuff happened. Now I don’t know what to do.

[1] I have a problem with not knowing how to pseudonymously interact with CF with regard to content that is or will be tied to me IRL. I hadn’t figured out if or how I was going to post links to the material on CF.

That sucks, though I suppose announcing your plan and then having the harassment stuff come out would have been even worse!

Typo? I don’t know what you mean.

2nd CF account?

Had you planned, done or written anything to address my pre-existing criticisms of AdG and SENS, from years ago?

1 Like

Not a typo. What I meant specifically is that I had written some web pages and content for marketing letters.

In response to this question I went looking to see if I was misusing collateral. I found:

informational materials (such as brochures and fact sheets) used in selling a product or service to a prospective customer or buyer

I don’t think I’m misusing collateral, but I don’t have any other guess about what went wrong.

That definition is not in some standard dictionaries at all, and is not the well known meaning of the word. I’d never heard of it.

Yeah it was a new use of the word to me and I like words

No. I was planning to help AdG and SENS despite their known flaws. I think the main reason was the context of not knowing of any better people or organizations working on life extension that I could effectively help.

Did you research other life extension related orgs and make e.g. a chart with their pros and cons, and conclude that SENS is the best?

It’s weird that you used an uncommon meaning for a common word, and you used in a non-standard way, but you had no guesses as to why someone didn’t understand what you meant.

If you search “business collateral”, most of what comes up is the more standard meaning of the word collateral.

The meaning that you were using does come up if you search “marketing collateral”.

But you specifically called it business collateral, not marketing collateral.

1 Like

I was unaware that I was using an uncommon meaning in a non-standard way.

Were you aware that “business collateral” had a different meaning?

No.

Not consciously. If “business collateral” had come up in the context of ex: making a loan to a business I would have known they were talking about something different.

You don’t pick any type of adding value to the discussion. You focus on specific sub-categories of that. Specifically, you focus on things where you think you’ll look good and be lecturing people below you or similar.

your claim here is kind of weird.

you are claiming that, at the time you said:

you were not consciously aware that “business collateral” had another meaning.

But at that point, you had already looked up collateral in the dictionary and linked it, and the first definition from your link was:

property (such as securities) pledged by a borrower to protect the interests of the lender

So, even after reading that definition, and while knowing that someone else was confused about your meaning, you were still not consciously aware that the phrase you used had another meaning, and that might be what was going on.

You were trying to figure out a misunderstanding about the meaning of a word. You looked up a definition of the word that has as the first entry the more standard meaning that the other person had in mind, and still had no idea what might be going wrong.

I don’t really understand how that happened. One way would be that you weren’t really trying to resolve the misunderstanding in good faith. You were instead trying to do something like prove that you were in the right, and the other person was ignorant.

The definition of collateral you’re using was not on that webpage in 2017:

It’s also not present in 8 dictionaries I have on my Mac. By contrast, the first definition m-w gives is in every dictionary including one from 1828.

and your one source calls it marketing collateral in the one example it gives.

Social climbing autopilots.

Yes, I misjudged how common my usage of “collateral” was. Some reasons for the mistake include exposure that’s parochial to my personal situation and when I searched, the source I quoted happened to be the first result in Duck Duck Go.

A deeper reason might be that I consider terms to be uncommon based at least in part based on my estimation of the status of people who use them. Maybe science, finance, and legal jargon seem more uncommon to me than marketing jargon because I have less respect for the marketing profession or most of the people in it than I do scientists, bankers, and lawyers.

Marketing collateral would have been better for me to have said.