Todo Lists Delegate Work Away From Your Conscious Mind

I think that part sounds best in the second person. I want to address the reader (someone interested in getting tasks done) and tell them why I think todo lists are a bad habit.

I thought the point of Elliot’s article was that offloading work from your mind is good. A common way to do this is todo lists, which I think are a bad idea. I’m trying to provide a better alternative to achieve the desired outcome.

I would be interested to hear more about why you think my post isn’t on topic. I don’t want to create unnecessary moderation work for Elliot. But I thought a criticism of todo lists and providing an alternative would be a good thing to post.

Your criticism would be very appreciated.

I’m not sure if this is a good analogy, apologies in advance. But I think of it like scalars and vectors. They can both have magnitudes, but vectors have an added direction component. Calendars are like todo lists but with an added time allocation component.

That’s fair. I think in a standard todo list there’s some implication that you want to get the tasks done. Whereas with the “later” list the implication is that the tasks don’t need to get done at all, and you should expect most of them to not get done. So it’s more like a list of things you should not actively work on. If you need the task to get done, do not put it on the later list.

I did give one example of when I would use a “todo” list over a calendar. I think that in general, you should book tasks in your calendar instead of using todo lists. I would be interested to hear your counter-examples.

I think the article was partly about how to use todo lists and the benefits they can give. There are a lot of tips specifically for using todo lists:

I did reference Elliot’s concept of offloading things from your brain in my post:

I agree that offloading things from your mind is good. I think that todo lists are an incomplete solution to the problem of offloading your tasks.

Thanks for your response.