Unions and Bias

@ingracke, I think @Lebowski doesn’t see the point of persistently focusing on his error(s). He feels backed into a corner, defensive, etc., so now he’s evading and just trying to move on and change his position and forget about the error. Attacking his error, and trying to keep the attention on it, feels mean and pointless. He feels like you put work into confirming his positions in advance in order to trap and hurt him. He doesn’t know how to get constructive value out of this or what sort of nice goal you might have.

Whereas you think you’re trying to help and that he apparently doesn’t want to learn anything and is wasting your time by sabotaging. He’s trying to remove the spotlight from the very thing you’re trying to talk about, so that seems like he’s awful to talk with.

There’s a clash of goals here. @Lebowski doesn’t seriously expect to get things right so doesn’t value post mortems. You’re assuming he was trying to think, made an error, and would want to fix his thinking error so he doesn’t repeat it. You see discussion as practice to get good at thinking to improve your lives. But he’s just screwing around and writing careless errors that wouldn’t surprise him to be wrong about, and then using social manipulations to change the subject without even admitting what happened. He isn’t trying to do a learning process and doesn’t have things set up to benefit from criticism. He has plenty of uncorrected, known errors so he doesn’t actually benefit from most criticism – unless it’s super super important (so it’s worth dropping almost everything else to fix it), criticism just makes the error queue longer which is something people often feel bad about.

Finding out about errors is not his bottleneck, and correcting errors is not his goal. You’re talking to each other at cross purposes.

In this case, I think the main thing going on is he dislikes unions which prevents him from reading normally. It’s not something he can think objectively about. And he isn’t here to find that out and fix it. He has bigger problems which he’s avoiding by being here… Alan’s answers were also poor, I think for the same reason of bias about unions. Similarly the tweet author is being egregiously unreasonable (including in multiple followup tweets nested under that one), and I think he’s being more unreasonable than he usually is due to him hating unions.