Whether morality is primarily about social/interpersonal stuff or about dealing with reality effectively

šŸ“ Aside: conversation practice

Iā€™d like to use this as conversation practice. Some things Iā€™m going to try to do (and keep doing consistently) is to write a focused reply to one thing. Iā€™ll also keep questions focused and to a minimum so we can go deep rather than going wide. I might note other topics/things as we go so that we can come back to them later. IDK if itā€™s possible to have like a wiki-post where we could both keep conversation-tree type metadata. I guess youā€™re a mod so I can make a reply mb and we can both edit that post as required? Iā€™ll do that after this reply so we can use it if we want. We could also keep separate ones.

How do you see the AR quote as related to mine? Itā€™s not obvious to me what youā€™re trying to point out. I have some ideas, but theyā€™re guesses.

My main guess is that you think thereā€™s a conflict between ā€œsocialā€ and ā€œinterpersonalā€ ā€“ is that right?

I thought itā€™d be good to try to interpret the Galt quote.

The title and ~subtitle of this section of FTNI is:

ā€œTHIS IS JOHN GALT SPEAKINGā€

This is the philosophy of Objectivism.

A few paragraphs before the main quote, Galt says (this seems notable):

ā€œA rational process is a moral process. [ā€¦]

Hereā€™s the main quote, with some paragraphs from above/below the main paragraph too. (I havenā€™t read AS or FTNI, so it was useful for me to get some context.)

It seems like the connection between rationality and morality (and the choice to pursue reason/truth) is the main topic of these paragraphs.

For the original AR quote, hereā€™s my take on it:

1. Galt is addressing listeners/readers who think that both:
    1. morality is social
      • My guess is that this is directly related to ARā€™s criticisms of ideas like man has an obligation to live for others, rather than himself
        • ā€œmorality is socialā€ is referring to these ideas (which AR/objectivism disagrees with)
    2. a person[1], in isolation / a vacuum, has no need of morality
      • a desert island is often a metaphor for extreme isolation, or a situation where thereā€™s no connection to civilization / other people. Thatā€™s how it reads to me atm.
  2. Galt is saying that this is a time where morality is exceptionally important
    • this meaning being on a desert island (in isolation / a vacuum)
      • i.e., thereā€™s no social factors ā€“ but morality is still important
  3. the next sentence (which is the rest of the para) answers the question why is morality important in this case?
    • my outline of the answer: [if he claims] ([without society/victims to make the claims true]) [ā€¦examples of irrational claimsā€¦] [then heā€™ll die] [because thinking/rationality is necessary to live and stay living].
      • I agree with this (both in isolation, and in answer to the above question)
      • Iā€™d still agree with this without the ā€œwhen there are no victims to pay for itā€ bit.
        • I read it as like a necessary parenthetical, but WRT Galtā€™s ideas themselves, I think the conclusion still makes sense without it.

Do you see any problems with my understanding of the quote? Itā€™s not obvious to me that thereā€™s a conflict between my take and my quote.

Note for future

One thing I did notice, a few paragraphs earlier Galt says:

[ā€¦] but if devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.

I think itā€™s implied that Galt thinks ā€œdevotion to truth is the hallmark of moralityā€. Itā€™s not obvious that thereā€™s convergence between this idea and my quote, so maybe thereā€™s a conflict.

Mb useful questions for context / bg

Some closed question that might be useful for us to both answer upfront (to figure out points that we might disagree on).
Note: Iā€™m conscious this is going broad (in some sense) early in the conversation. I donā€™t think itā€™d be good to focus on any disagreements that come up with these right now (not without good reason), but they might be good context for us re: each-otherā€™s ideas. Also, to avoid going deep, theyā€™re all closed (yes/no) questions.

• Do you think your future self is a different person to your current self? (my answer: yes)
    • If so, does ā€œinterpersonal harmā€ include harm to your future self? (my answer: yes)

WRT my quote:

Morality is about interpersonal harm, and people are free to live their own lives (wrt themselves) how they wish.

• If ā€œinterpersonalā€ was removed, would you still disagree with that?

• (my answer: yes; i.e. I agree with ā€œMorality is about harmā€)
  • Do you agree with the second clause: ā€œā€¦ people are free to live their own lives (wrt themselves) how they wish.ā€?

• (my answer: yes)

1. I read the way Galt says ā€œmanā€ as collectively referring to ~civilization, but the example (on a desert island) seems to be talking about a single person ā€“ thatā€™s why I say ā€œa personā€ specifically. If there were more than 1 person, then there would be some social/interpersonal stuff, which would defeat the purpose of the example. ā†©ļøŽ