Apricus - Meta-Discussion of my Emotions and Diagnosing My Difficulty Engaging with FI Long-term

Anyone have any resources/references to understand Ayn Rand’s concept of “second-handedness”? I think I might be quite second-handed, because I tend to like people a lot, learning about them, and I like being liked so I think I change myself in situations to be liked rather than to be honest. I think I’ve been getting better at being myself, being weird, being OK not being liked, actually preferring to repel a bunch of people but more accurately and strongly attract the kind of people who are better fits for me and so on, but I want to do it more consciously over time and understand some of the mechanics at play.

I think that will start with understanding second-handedness better. I read the Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged (I think one of these I didn’t finish fully, and the other I did finish fully, but I do not remember which between them) and I listened/read a few times to her “Philosophy, why do we need it” talk/lecture. I read and liked Anthem too. Trying to think what else I read and liked from Ayn Rand.

If there are any chapters from those books I should read to learn more specifically about second-handedness, what it means, how to identify it in myself, how to solve it/change it for the better etc. let me know. Or any other books, blog posts, audio pieces/talks, or content from curi or someone else analyzing/explaining second-handedness are all good for me.

You could also try https://www.amazon.com/What-Care-Other-People-Think/dp/0393320928

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. I will check it out. It looks familiar but I think that’s because I read the other Feynman book, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard P. Feynman | Goodreads

I liked the stories in it so I think I will like this one too.

The Nasa Challenger story about Feynman also strikes me as an example where he displayed a lot of courage and was outspoken where other people wanted to cover it up or not learn from the mistake or not even admit that there was a mistake that could have been prevented if they took him seriously

He had so many other stories, like the social science thing where he had to dissect papers to understand that they were purposely obfuscated to sound smart but were actually saying very simple things in complicated ways. And everyone was just nodding along. That real world story surprised me because it reminded me of stories from Ayn Rand’s books, so when people tell me those parts from Ayn Rand’s books are fictional and exaggerated, I tell them about the Feynman stories too because those were real world example. The real world is way more like fiction than we want to admit sometimes, sometimes in both really good but also really bad ways.

There was also the story of Feynman editing school textbooks and many of the other teachers didn’t even read the books because they had barely any feedback and Feynman was working so hard every night to pore over them and make detailed edits and try to improve them because he knew how important it was that those textbooks be as good as possible, cuz tons of kids were going to read them and needed to enjoy them and learn from them and the ideas had to be good

I’m just realizing these are all examples of first-handedness (if that’s a valid antonym/inverse term for second-handedness)

I can be more like that. I can do what I think is right even if it’s scary or I think people will hate me or I could lose a job or money or whatever. Whenever I do what I think is right or say what I think is right, I usually feel way better, don’t lose as much as I expected, and sometimes I’m wrong but people are often pretty nice and explain a better way to think about it to me and don’t punish me that badly.

TY

1 Like

Going to work on being more brave, transparent, and proactive. Might take time to see results. Will try not to make promises I can’t keep or won’t keep. Start Small.

Recently moved to my brother’s + his wife’s house away from my dad’s, so it’s my first time having my own room in 2.5 years. My dad’s place was a small 400-500 sq.ft studio basement suite, everything in one room. So 2 adults living there was not ideal for either. Lots to explore at this place and my daily habits are much better due to the new environment and the house rules and encouragement of my brother + his wife.

What I did today as documented in Google calendar. Things I wanted to do that I didn’t do:
Record myself reading philosophy articles
Project Management Course
Fragless startup work

Things I did that I wanted to do or am quite glad I did and do not regret doing even in the context of my 3/6 month goals:
MLE Esports org stuff
Exercise at the gym (my second time going there, it’s very nice to have a convenient gym nearby)
Brushing my teeth + showering
Eating food that I cooked and washing the dishes. I’ve been eating about once a day. Seems fine for now but I think if I want to do weight lifting I will need to learn to eat twice a day.

Going to not overthink/over-write this as I gotta go to bed and do it all again tomorrow. I eventually want to get to the point where I can interview someone every day as I’m realizing that’s something I really enjoy doing, and I also want to get to the point where I am making some progress on my project management course and philosophy work every day, in some form. I need to build those into my daily habits.

Some pics:

The gym first time i visited it yesterday:

Today I met someone there and asked him if he can show me a basic beginner exercise to weightlift, so he did and I ended up trying it: AA-Ordinary Humans, Extraordinary Choices (Podcast) - Google Drive (1 minute video of me trying the exercise) – another friend saw the video and told me it looks like I was doing a combination or something weird between these two exercises:
How To: Dumbbell Chest Press - YouTube
How To: Dumbbell Flys On A Flat Bench - YouTube

Glad I mustered the courage to ask him to share his knowledge. It got me some good practice talking with people and also just learning something new and implementing it in real time, even if I didn’t do it perfectly. I might see him around since I plan to visit the gym every day and figure out what to do there better over time. I spent i think 25 minutes on the bike and ~5 minutes on the treadmill, and didn’t much else other than 4 sets of 10 reps of the above exercise he showed me.

I will learn to set some better fitness goals that are more accurate. It’s kind of like a videogame to have metrics to track like my heart rate and aim to keep it at a certain number. My body and mind adjust lots of different little things to try to optimize and hit a certain metric, or e.g. if I wanted to bike x kilometres in y time. But first I’ll just focus on sustainability and the daily habit of going there everyday and that becoming normal and easy.

My room 3 days ago before some setup

I bought this ultrawide monitor months ago and when I went to unpack it on this move, I saw the instructions and just gave up, decided to do it later. But later will never come unless I make a plan and execute it and decide to just do it no matter how hard it gets, and it will probably be easier than I think once I commit to it.

My room once I got the basic podcasting setup done for a meeting I had to make kind of quickly (I challenged my colleague that I could get it done in 10 min when he said we can talk tomorrow and it’ll stay the way I sent him in this below pic:

It ended up taking 23 min or something and then we talked so I was happy – I got it done pretty quick regardless, and run into unexpected problems like that I plugged in the monitor’s power supply to the computer and vice versa, and the computer ran but the monitor didn’t. I tried a few things then realized that might be the issue and reversed the cables and then it all worked. Glad I noticed and thought about it early because idk how much damage might have been done to my computer or it’s PSU if I kept the wrong cable plugged in long-term and just tried other solutions)

Now it looks more like this, although with a different keyboard since that one there uses Cherry MX Blues and is super loud. I asked my mom to buy it for me when I was 17 and writing my first novel for NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month, 50,000 words in a month, 1700 a day, surprisingly achievable when broken down that way). I had read that typists/novelists/writers like cherry mx blues because of the clicky actuation and feedback. I did enjoy them quite a bit. I think I’m using browns or reds some kind of softer key now since they make a lot less noise.

I eventually want to sound dampen my room so I can do podcasting and typing and stuff later at night. I have people on my list to interview in lots of different timezones, like EU, China, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia, India and Pakistan and so on.

Have a good night everyone! I will try to be transparent every day and I figure it’s best to be transparent even when I mess up (especially when I mess up probably) because then I can learn from it, as long as I don’t let the mistakes and my reactions to them (emotionally and otherwise) overwhelm me. So one step at a time towards goals

Right when I try to record the video of me reading the first article here so i can go to bed

this happens :sob:

But I will figure it out. Maybe I need to flush my DNS cache or something. I guess first thing I should duckduckgo this 504 Gateway Time-out error. Same error on another browser, Firefox.

The 504 Gateway Timeout error is an HTTP status code that means that one server didn’t receive a timely response from another server that it was accessing while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the browser.

In other words, 504 errors usually indicate that a different computer, one that the website you’re getting the message on doesn’t control but relies on, isn’t communicating with it quickly enough.

I guess maybe the server that hosts criticalfallibilism.com might just be down for now. I will try to go to sleep and record tomorrow. I need to fill out my schedule for today but I really just want to do it tomorrow. Will just take a screenshot so I can remember to do it.

I did not actually do the project management course. I did like 10 minutes of it. Most of my time was spent in discord calls, and working on some stuff with the podcast and discord server. So maybe what I can learn from that is not to get into Discord calls until I do a lot of the stuff I want to do for the day first, like my philosophy recording, PM work, exercise, and podcast rendering/uploading/thumbnail work/discord community stuff. Doing two podcast interviews tomorrow so I am excited but I need to make sure I also do my PM and philosophy work. If I keep delaying those two, my next job gets delayed and my general learning progress gets delayed.

I also ended up exercising with my brother at the community gym at like 10pm so that wasn’t ideal. Sleep deprivation also guaranteed tonight with ~5 hours of sleep. Will aim to do better tomorrow and schedule better. Interviewing people in europe means 5 am or 7 am interviews will be normal, but that means I need to just learn to do everything early and sleep by 9 or 10pm. Gn everyone

Quick notes for myself so I don’t forget and can expand on the topics later (also this helps me sleep better at night to just get all these ideas off my mind because otherwise they tend to keep coming up in my mind until I post them, do something about them, or slowly forget about them over the course of months/years, but that process seems painful and unnecessary compared to trying this one):

Just took a shower. When I shower, I tend to think of new ideas, so I’m starting to intrinsically enjoy and like showering. It does not feel like a waste of time. It is also feeling more pleasurable in terms of warm water, enjoying the sensations of the present moment, and engaging actively with the positive idea that I am cleaning my body and thus improving myself in some way.

One idea that came up: At this stage in my life/learning/mindset/current problem situation, I should view quitting things as a last last resort and be very careful about the decision and consider all the consequences, discuss the pros and cons with CF etc.

Why? Because I think quitting things is one way that I sabotage my progress and learning. Not just the CF community, but also quitting my job or quitting League. It’s possible I quit things right when learning becomes hard or there is some barrier that I do not want to problem solve past. So then I end up starting over. It’s like that Joshua Parker (he was the university student who wrote that part of the script) idea from the Shia LaBeouf skit of “JUST DO IT” where the script goes like:

Do it
Just do it

Don’t let your dreams be dreams
Yesterday you said tomorrow
So just do it
Make your dreams come true
Just do it

Some people dream of success
While you’re gonna wake up and work hard at it
Nothing is impossible
You should get to the point
Where anyone else would quit
And you’re not going to stop there
No, what are you waiting for?

Do it
Just do it
Yes you can
Just do it
If you’re tired of starting over
Stop giving up

Those last two lines have particularly stuck with me. I am often starting over because I keep giving up. Sometimes that ends up being good because I start over in a better direction, or with better ideas or values, but often it just means I stopped when it got tough enough that if I stuck with it and found creative, persistent ways to keep making progress, I could have had breakthroughs and learnt a lot of cool things and been much happier.

However, the past is in the past. So moving forward, I need to detail my priorities to CF, try to explain why they are important to me, and be open to changing them rationally through discussion over time as I learn why they might be flawed and how they could be made better for my own goals and fulfillment.

Another thought from the shower: If I am unconsciously building contempt and/or disdain for “most people” or something like that, then it’ll become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If I go around the world looking for people who want to treat me like an outcast, I will find them. And if my defence mechanism to that is to look down my nose at them, I’ll become a bitter and resentful person, and I’ll also miss out on a lot of creative opportunities to collaborate with people just because I misunderstood them and went in with a preconceived notion that they were a bad fit for me or inferior or something.

I don’t want to become like that (and heck I might already be a lot more like that than I realize, so curi pointing that out from my writing could save me from going down that path). I’ll try to brainstorm what I want to be like, because I think if I know the personality traits and habits I want to cultivate, I can find a way to become more like that over time. I think curiosity and honesty are the core values I want to invest in rn. Courage and some others also seem interesting but I will explore them later. I think honesty requires developing courage anyway.

I want to respect people on a global level. This just means that I see everyone has having unbounded potential as human beings. I want to know what I want clearly and know what my values are clearly so I can express them to others. I want to then let others decide for themselves whether those values are a good fit for theirs, and whether my goals are a fit for theirs. I want to do the same myself, and then together we can figure out if we’re a good mutual fit. There was a page from the book I’m reading rn, You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters by Kate Murphy | Goodreads, I’ll post the picture I took and transcribe the bit I remember finding beautiful and inspirational when I read it yesterday evening.

“The pair were very different personalities–Tversky was impulsive and brazen, while Kahneman was more reticent and considered. But they clicked through many hours of conversation–arguing, laughing, and occasional shouting–leading to many eureka moments neither could have accomplished alone.”
"Kahneman and Tversky spent so much time together, their wives became jealous. “Their
relationship was more intense than a marriage,” said Tversky’s wife, Barbara. “I think they were both turned on intellectually more than either had ever been before. It was as if they were waiting for it.” When they wrote their research papers, the two men would sit side by side at a single typewriter. “We were sharing a mind,” said Kahneman, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics in 2002, six years after Tversky’s death.

Reading this made me wonder if this is the kind of standard I should try to look for in the long-term relationships I build with people. I didn’t even know this level of depth in a relationship between intellectual partners was possible, although I think I got some glimpses into it from all the CF/FI/FIFL/curi blog post reading I’ve done. It wasn’t super surprising but I think reading it like this made it feel like it was possible for me to aim for and not an unrealistic goal.

BTW it seems problematic to me that their wives became jealous but it also makes sense. I have a question: Is it worth looking for a long-term romantic relationship, like marriage, that is also that degree of intellectual depth/connection? Or is that unrealistic and it’s better to just look for 1 romantic relationship + 1 intellectual relationship?

I think the post about philosophy first relationships kinda covers that, I will check it out again.

Oh good to know. Every time this feature pops up I’m really glad it exists. Is it a normal feature of Discourse or did someone custom add it? Either way, I am grateful for it

I plan to quote different quotes from it than I quoted back on Feb 12th.

the philosophy first approach recognizes that philosophy (aka reasoning) skill and compatibility are rare (and hard to create) and places appropriate value on that. if you aren’t a total conformist and you can find a few people you really like and get along with, you’re doing pretty well in the world today. then it makes sense to solve problems that come up so you can keep interacting . problems don’t mean you’re bad people or have a bad relationship. problems are part of life. and problem solving should be part of life too. don’t give up easily. don’t go “omg this seems hard” and go look for some other person who hopefully is magically easier to deal with. don’t think if you find someone new there will never be any hard problems.

if you get to know a few especially great people more thoroughly, then you can also get a perspective on their whole life. instead of just seeing little bits and pieces of a bunch of people, you can actually learn what someone else’s life is like. that’s interesting. maybe you can learn something about how to fit together a bunch of different stuff into an overall life. how can all your different stuff integrate together into a coherent whole?

and the more you do with one person with intellectual compatibility, then the more you can deal with connections between different topics. your interests shouldn’t all be these separate, individual things. it’s really common, when doing anything very interesting, that an idea in one field ends up being relevant to some other field.

This part seems relevant. Amos and Tversky got to know each other over a very long period and would have seen a bunch of stuff like this. I’m wondering who the closest person in my life to this is.

Other than my mom and dad in terms of having lots of conversations with them when I was younger, but drifting apart as I got older, it might be my cofounder, Josh, who I met in 2018. Since then we’ve had hundreds or 1000+ hours of conversation (but not a lot written, mostly verbal, although we started recording a lot of them recently, and YouTube can add automatic transcription, so that gives us something to Ctrl+F through to search through previously brought up ideas, analogies etc. and look at patterns). He’s probably the closest person I’ve talked the most with and listened the most to and in one of our most recent long conversation we both did note that we were on different pages the first ~2h and there was a lot of trying to get on the same page, but for the last ~1h of the convo we were starting to complete each other’s sentences, read each other’s minds, and it’s the first time in ~4.5 years that that has happened in that way. I didn’t think that much of it till I read this part of the book and started writing this post and made the connection. But maybe we’re crossing some sort of threshold and we’ve interacted with each other enough over a long enough period of our lives that we can not only predict each other better, but also offer some unique perspective to each other on the problems we each want to individually solve. I guess one thing I like about our relationship is it is both professional and personal. We both seem to genuinely want to help each other as people and with personal/individual problems, if we ask for help. Although I think he helps me a lot more than I help him, sort of. It’s different kinds of help both ways, maybe because we both solve problems differently.

Another note:
One thing I’m starting to notice I’m really bad at is handling distractions and prioritizing things. Like if I go to FI with a plan to do something, I end up spending way too much time on it. For example right now, I just wanted this post to be some quick notes, but it became a bunch of writing + thinking. I wanted to write some quick notes to remember stuff and then go record me reading Intuition articles, and then maybe even record myself doing my project management course because that might actually motivate me to do it (been putting it off for 2 days now). I also think I’m tempted to rush through the course, but that means I won’t learn that well, but if I record myself going through it and talk out loud about what I’m learning, I think I will learn better.

This happened in League too. I’d go into the game with a specific plan, e.g. “Have a plan for every wave”, “Punish/Pressure on every last hit possible”, and in the midgame, “Funnel as much gold onto myself as I can as efficiently as I can, and try to be at teamfights whenever I’m near them or they break out near where I am funneling gold” – I think this is also a way that I sabotage my learning. I let myself get distracted by fun/interesting things and start digging into them but lose sight of my original goal, OR I let myself get distracted by things because I view them as emotional/urgent. I tend to feel like if I don’t write a response right away, I never will, and I think I struggle to schedule stuff and trust myself to follow the schedule. That’ll take some step by step building and small successes, so try to just schedule a single day or a single hour or something and stick to it consistently. Then I can try scheduling stuff further out, like 2 weeks out, and then when the time comes just get used to checking my calendar, seeing reminders, not viewing reminders as some scary/anxiety inducing thing and just pushing the reminder forward if I don’t want to do it right then, but eventually actually getting it done and making it so that I have to keep facing the thing I’d otherwise avoid facing.

So at least two ways I think I sabotage my learning:

1. quitting when things get hard rather than maybe finding smaller, easier ways to progress, or identifying why it got hard and breaking it down into more achievable, easier steps.
  2. Changing my priorities unconsciously rather than consciously. Changing them based on short-term distractions or emotions rather than going back to my priority list and consciously asking, “Where do I want to place this new item that has come up now? Does it go right to the top, or somewhere in the middle?”

I’m also really bad at actually following my checklists. If I make them too big, I ignore them, and if they are too small, I do some of them but not all of them, or I find a way to lose the checklist and forget about it, which seems like a really complicated way to avoid stuff but it happens way too often to just be coincidence. I think that might be self-sabotage too. Like making a Trello and then never looking at it again, or making a paper sticky note, and then not putting it back on the monitor when it falls off etc, or keeping it on the monitor but then just learning to ignore it rather than force myself to read it everytime my eyes pass over it, and then to actually think about it rather than just read and forget. Wow I’m realizing there are so many layers to ACTUALLY paying attention to something and I can sabotage myself at every layer if I’m not conscious of where I’m putting my focus and how I’m using my mind.

So that’s 3 ways.

There must be hundreds if I keep looking for them. I’ll keep an eye out.

Another note:

Part of the issue I felt was that the more I learnt CF, the more isolated I felt from my work colleagues (~4 years ago). I also never felt like I could properly belong in CF, so I was stuck between two places and kinda moving further away from feeling like I could bring this stuff up with my work colleagues or my friends and family.

But looking back, a lot of those were my own fears, and they were unfounded. When I did muster the courage to bring them up to work colleagues, it never went as badly as I expected. For example, I even remember whispering to my colleague, “What if I become a conservative?” and yet today that seems like such a silly fear to me… A lot of the ideas and explanations here now make sense, and I’m not worried what political side they are on. I don’t follow politics as much as I used to, maybe because if I did I would be more worried about that? Not sure. I think my need to belong or feel safe belonging to some side or tribe or team is less pressuring on me now, and I am more comfortable admitting sometimes that I don’t belong or that I have friction with a group and that’s OK as long as I can work on it and make progress.

Reminder for myself to use the stories thread to share a story where I shared the ET Lying essay with a colleague and what his reaction was and how I felt about it etc. (Short summary is just that he dismissed it saying that philosophers will write all sorts of stuff, and I was trying to say that I think it’s really true, and applicable. I think he was trying to console me because he could tell that I was trying to uphold the standard in the essay and failing and that I was being unproductively hard on myself/emotional about that failure)

Also reminder for myself to share the story a friend told me about Will, who would want his story to be shared. That story helped me emotionally connect with the idea that a minimum wage actually hurts the people it is most intended to help. I read the Andy D discussion with curi and the points curi made sense to me, but I’m guessing I didn’t fully or deeply understand them, because I must not have been fully convinced. I must have had some kind of unconscious disagreements or maybe a fear of holding an opinion that I thought might get me in trouble/hot water if I ever brought it up with people IRL if the topic came up (like if someone were to mention that we should have a higher minimum wage because the cost of living in Vancouver is too high, and that people are working 2-3 jobs to pay rent and survive etc.)

Video uploading now: https://youtu.be/K9WO_HLH5sA

Should be up and processed in ~45 minutes. Didn’t get far, like 1.5 sections into the post, out of 6 sections. Went on a lot of tangents. I think it’s a useful experience to help diagnose problems in my learning and process. Seems like I read very slowly if I let myself explore the tangents that come up in my mind, but maybe that is OK. Next time I want to give myself more time to have creative exploration and not have to cut it off early (my brother and his wife went to bed and I don’t want to disturb them)

I’ll go sleep now and I think I’ll sleep better tonight having done this. Main things I feel bad about not doing today: No exercise, no PM course progress, and didn’t get much sleep last night, and didn’t fill out my calendar yesterday like I said I would do this morning. There are more things I think I missed, and I’ll likely remember them as I go to bed, but I’ll need to figure out a way to empty my mind and be at peace while sleeping, having some faith in myself that I will work on it the next day and keep making progress. If I’m too hard on myself and expect too much from each day, then I ruin my own sleep quality, and then sleep deprivation just snowballs on itself and makes it hard to learn and recover from that stuff. I also didn’t pull any examples for the other thread so that I could give people a chance to analyze and defend themselves from the accusations I made, and so that CF could also improve if it did make any mistakes that contributed to the problems I wrote that I experienced

Other Links

https://www.yesornophilosophy.com/

Came back to write:

Things I’m glad I did: Recorded two podcast interviews, did some philosophy thinking and writing, wrote some poetry when I couldn’t sleep and there was stuff that I felt I just had to write, and worked on writing better titles and understanding thumbnails for the podcast eps. Want to make some thumbnails tomorrow using some advice some friends have given me, and also do philosophy + PM course and record video of me doing earlier in the day so I don’t procrastinate on that.

Wanted to write this section so I don’t go to bed only dissatisfied with what I didn’t do, but also satisfied with what I did do that I’m glad I did

Cool, I can shut down my computer. Looks like it is uploaded and will just process on its own now. Gn everyone

Please read the forum guidelines.

1 Like

I just read through it the first time. Got a badge for doing so.

I think some of these will be good habits to learn for general thinking and discussion. My initial reaction is that the sections I might struggle the most with are:

Do Not Misquote

Clarity and Quality

Always Be Civil

I think I have gotten better at avoiding misquotes but I still use paraphrases badly and sometimes put words in other peoples’ mouths.

Don’t post references to anything outside the current forum topic without giving the source.

Don’t criticize ideas in vague ways that people can’t reasonably give a rebuttal to. Specific criticisms of quotes are preferred.

Avoid writing ambiguous statements.

The more you disagree with someone, the more you should write in a clear, direct way. When they have a significantly different perspective on the world than you, shortcuts are likely to fail.

I think I also fail at these ones quite often.

These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

I think this means I shouldn’t use profanity, and I should also avoid the possibility that my writing can be interpreted in an offensive or rude/hateful way. So I should try to make it more respectful and clear and driven to a purpose. I’m not sure how to make these changes but I think being aware of it and re-reading what I write as I write it will help.

I had a long post drafted up from two days ago but I’ve just saved it to a Wordpad from now. I think what I should be doing moving forward is writing more deliberately, and before sending a post, just removing parts that were basically like writing to think, rather than thinking and then posting quality statements that make sense and are clear and have a specific purpose. Thinking about and reminding myself of my goal more often as I write will help too. If I post freewriting then I should label it appropriately and mention that the purpose would be for problems in my thinking to be more visible so that I can identify and fix them with the help of the community.

Question 1: Some of the text in the long post I saved to Wordpad was some quotes from the Feynman book, What Do You Care What Other People Think?: "What Do You Care What Other People Think?": Further Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard P. Feynman | Goodreads
Is this thread an appropriate place to post those quotes and my thoughts, or would that fit better in a different thread? It’s hard for me to judge what kind of discussion or posts from myself fit the Topic as I’ve named it, and I think I’m just ending up using it a personal thread to post things when I don’t know where else to post them.

Thanks for asking me to read the guidelines. I feel a little… dejected, because reading these guidelines made me realize that I’ve been breaking a lot of these, but at least I can try to get better at following them now, and I can ask specific questions when I’m unsure if some writing breaches a guideline and/or causes harm or not. I’m more interested in the spirit of the guidelines than just the written letter of them and want to build habits that will hopefully make me a positive contributor rather than a neutral or negative contributor to the forum long-term (also without unconscious self-sacrifice/trying to please others without deriving enough personal value from it, which is a potential bad habit of mine).

Question 2: Do you think it would be a good idea for me to read the guidelines in detail, section by section, record that reading and think out loud about how to apply them (or maybe apply them to one of my posts and point out places where I breached the guidelines specifically) and invest some time and effort in getting better at automatically/unconsciously applying the guidelines to a decent level of accuracy? Currently I think I do a poor job of applying them automatically. It seems like they are important and apply at a level higher than any individual philosophy concept (like they are meta to it), such that I’d want to be decent at applying the guidelines without much conscious thought before I post long-form writing trying to learn other philosophy. I guess for the video analyses/readings of the Intuition articles, the guidelines still apply but it’s harder for me to mess up, unless I start quoting what I said verbally and discussing it with others in writing. Hopefully this also improves community quality and means I’ll make less low quality/spammy posts in the process of figuring out the guidelines better. So it might be win-win/mutually beneficial.

Question 3: Are there any other sections of the guidelines/rules you think I have particularly bad writing/thinking habits about and should focus more on when being cautious, careful, or doublechecking my posts against those sections to check that I’m complying responsibly with the standards? I feel like I might be missing a lot, but hopefully I’ll spot more problems as I dig into the ones I’ve already spotted and singled out for now.

From the first section of the guidelines:

Forum Purpose

The purpose of the Critical Fallibilism (CF) forum is to discuss and apply CF. You can comment on, learn about or debate CF philosophy. You can also apply CF ideas to other topics or use CF methods (such as idea trees, IGCs, textual analysis, and CF-compatible critical thinking).
If you aren’t directly discussing philosophy, you should connect your topic to CF and explain your goal(s). E.g. you might debate a scientific issue and use a discussion tree while referring to CF material on how to use discussion trees. Or you might use decisive criticism to analyze history and discuss CF ideas about which criticisms are decisive and why.

You’ve posted a LOT of personal minutiae here and I don’t get what connection it has to the forum purpose. For example:

You don’t make any connection between this and some sort of philosophical relevance. I have barely read (just skimmed) any of your posts which are written like that (and very much doubt anyone has) because of this.

The posts like the one which I took a quote from seem more like personal journalling than philosophical discussion.

You may find it more useful and people may find it more interesting to engage if e.g. you make your own personal journalling website to post those things (there are tons of websites you can use for this), then if you think some part of your journal is philosophically relevant you can link and discuss why you think it’s relevant and how it connects to philosophy/CF.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to make these points. You’re right that most of what I wrote was disconnected from CF. I plan to start a Project in the projects category to practice in smaller, simpler ways to build up my posting frequency and quality over time.

I just re-read the rules and the main one I think the main one I should focus on is being CF relevant.

I did take your advice and wrote my subsequent personal posting elsewhere.