Baba Is You

4-8 spoilers. Example of using writing to help organize thinking and reach a solution.

I hadn’t solved 4-8 yet. I just did it.

First I played the level a bit to get experience and intuition about it. I didn’t remember much and don’t think I tried it much before. I got an initial understanding of what is hard about it (initial because sometimes there turn out to be more layers of difficulty later).

I started by writing a list of what rules i could form. That didn’t help much so next I decided to write a list of important beliefs I had about the level. I figured if I listed those well, then at least one would have to be wrong, and writing them down might help. And indeed the first one was, while not wrong as written, helpful and related to a wrong belief.

Here’s what I wrote:

rock is push
leaf is push

rock is leaf
leaf is rock (NO, rock is stuck above leaf)

rock is tele
leaf is tele

beliefs:

if something is push and tele, i can’t step onto it. (i could already be on it though when it becomes both. maybe that’s the key)

tele does nothing unless there are 2+ objects

tele with 3+ objects sends to a random other teleporter

i can’t push the ghost to where the key starts

i need to teleport the key to the word room by putting the rock on it then turning the rock into a leaf

if i get a push tele leaf to the ghost, i won’t be able to get the ghost on it because the ghost is also push

oh i need the key to warp back and forth. then i push the leaf every other turn. get key into ghost room. then move ghost onto key

Then I solved it. Solving it involves some implementation details and trial and error, mainly setting this part up correctly so I could activate the second leaf rule while getting myself teleported simultaneously:

I didn’t spend a long time before writing. And the writing didn’t take very long either. And solving it after I was done writing was also quick. I wrote all that at once without playing in the middle. If you’re having a harder time, you could alternate playing and writing.

1 Like