labels: trying to stay focused, light editing, casual effort
Off topic but a little relevant: This was suggested to me (by algorithm) the other day:
I was surprised that I hadn’t heard about this before. I can think of reasons that TRAs would want to suppress it but hard to know (might cause some issues because they’d be appealing to biological essentialism or adjacent). Maybe I should post it to BFITF thread too for discussion there.
Yeah. It seems like there’s 2 things in mild conflict here: the asides can be ignored and are useful for providing context and exposing ideas (they’re an option if they reveal something more important / deeper), and also they’re a distraction because they’re controversial. So it feels like they are more okay the more skilled (or at least focused) your discussion partner is.
It’s one of the posts I have half a reply drafted to, which I’ve deprioritized since this thread seems more important right now.
Hmm yeah, I see what you mean.
for what it’s worth, in hindsight I don’t think I was serious enough about this topic. (Also it occurs to me now that if I wanted to argue that leftism was hostile to christianity, it’d probably be better to start with the soviet union or ccp)
Yeah I half agree. Well maybe I should fully agree but also point out that synecdoche is happening in that there definitely are some very anti-western leftists, but they’re the minority (probably). I can pull up examples if we need but it’s not relevant right now I think.
On the note of synecdoche, I should say:
It sounded like, from your conclusion, that you maybe thought that I thought synecdoche is good or something. I think it’s bad and almost always an error. The paragraph I added about when it might be okay is not meant to be a defense of using it generally, just that I could think of one kind of case where it might be okay or useful.
You’re right in that I’m not principled about it and that I do it.
I think there’s an asymmetry here in that arguing for something being wrong is different than arguing for a specific position. And I’d guess that if you wanted to entertain a specific counter position as devils advocate, you’d bring this up via like a hypothetical, or have some context indicator about some other view/group disagreeing and then presenting their arguments, or something else that implies a different framing/context to prior comments. (I’m not sure I have any basis for that guess other than vibes)
Hmm okay – it depends. If you’re arguing for a position you think is actually wrong then it seems more like the devil’s advocate kind. It can still be useful, but it feels different to arguing for something being wrong outside of anyone else’s position.
Yeah something like that (and I agree it’s false in this case and generally).
And yeah I’m not consistent with it. I have some defensive type explanations that come to mind (like that it’s about the core of an ideology or whatever) but if I apply those consistently I should be harsher on the right too, and I should be more responsible in grouping (though using labels like ‘far left’ or ‘far right’ or ‘alt right’ or whatever feel basically meaningless in today’s political vernacular).
TBH I wish there was a centrist party that didn’t push their beliefs on their constituents so much. That would have been a lot better for preventing things getting this bad. I’m not sure such a party could lead us out of this situation though.
This is one of the reasons I wanted to bring it up and discuss it. I was thinking about it in part because I’d identified it in me as well as more broadly (I think both tribes do it).
I can guess the others but what do you mean by this one?
I’m not sure exactly what you’re referring to. I am finding this discussion valuable, if that’s what you mean. I’m happy to discuss any of the tangents I’ve brought up but I also might push back on discussing and just concede if it seems irrelevant or downstream of other topics.
Yeah that’s right. I thought it would be better to show more thinking and just like explore it a bit instead of trying to do a perfect reply or whatever. Hopefully the labels helped.