Curiosity – Analyzing Dishonest Ads

1 Like

Related, the Substack name “Uncharted Territories” isn’t very true. It’s some mix of exaggeration, wishful thinking, aspiration, carelessness, truth, bragging, not taking marketing words literally, using a cliche, etc. A fair amount of what he posts is pretty clearly not new, including the stuff about geography being the root cause of social and political outcomes (which has been done before by Jared Diamond and probably many others, and I’d be somewhat surprised if any of his major takes on those issues were original even though he largely didn’t credit sources). The fertility interview involved asking a reasonably mainstream expert to share his opinions (which was interesting and good quality IMO, but not a mission exploring uncharted territory). His takes on what’s going to happen with some major online activities and businesses (e.g. about substack and online writing or about amazon) are pretty good and show some originality (I think; in contrast to the geography stuff, I’d be surprised if he just got it from a few good sources I don’t know about) but those don’t deal with something that could very accurately be called uncharted territory. There are tons of takes on those issues from other people. Another issue where he had some pretty good thoughts and some originality is rational debate and discussion, but again I wouldn’t call it exploring uncharted territory. Even my own more unusual and original takes on rational discussion are IMO major improvements over existing (poorly) charted territory rather than dealing with something uncharted (in other words, being first to a new issue). With my own Paths Forward and Idea Tree stuff there’s more that could maybe be called actually new issues no one else thought about before like having a written (rational) discussion or debate policy, but I’d still mostly think of that as doing better at an area that gets too little attention, not as exploring a new territory before any mapmakers arrive. I think my Yes or No Philosophy is the kind of thing that actually should be called uncharted territory. I have been unable to find any significant precursor to binary epistemology. I say that I build on Popper, Rand and Goldratt but none of them had this idea or anything very close to it; they just had a bunch of other useful ideas that can help out as building blocks for new stuff.