Discussion tree for yes no philosophy

I have created a discussion tree for yes or no philosophy:

I read through the tree. I didn’t see any major error (meaning an error that would cause you to fail at one of the important goals I’d guess you may be pursuing. Important goals means the ones you’re really trying to achieve as against goals where you might accomplish it as a bonus – so really the goal is like “make a low, efficient effort to try to get this along the way” and so even if you don’t get it you aren’t actually failing at that goal).

btw how far are you in the CF course videos? and have you read some Goldratt yet?

i started making my own tree, haven’t looked at Alan’s yet

the red represents where there’s some difference between CF and CR

I have read “The Goal” and “The Choice” by Goldratt.

I have finished CF parts 1-4.

looks ok to me. since you mention argument conversions, i’d have mentioned both types.

my tree grew!

Yes or No Philosophy Summary - Conceptual Tree updated.pdf (2.0 MB)

The text is still illegible after downloading and zooming in. I think you either need to adjust a forum upload setting or link to a full size image somewhere else.

i swapped in a PDF, it seems to work fine now

I checked the settings and my PNG was well below the max, and the PDF is a similar size. Not sure what is going on there :thinking:

Your image was a jpg when I downloaded it. So if PNG original then it got converted

Tree looks OK overall. Re elegance: I’d ask how elegance relates to a goal. What do you want it for? People have all these things they think are nice, including elegance, which they cannot relate to throughput, to specific goals. And then they have no good way to choose between them. And they focus attention on that stuff instead of on the decisive issues.

Sometimes the more elegant one is better in an important way. Maybe it’s simpler so there’s less stuff to go wrong. And if something does go wrong, it’s easier to understand what’s going on and fix it. So, phrased negatively, the rival idea is fragile and complicated (which makes it hard, costly and slow to work with). Learning to state issues like this, instead of going by vague intuition, helps with rational thinking.

1 Like