Elliot Discusses with Effective Altruism (retitled from: Rational Debate Methodology at Effective Altruism?)

I replied:

I don’t have time to engage very well

and

Agreed. Though it depends on what your strengths are what role you wish to play in the research-and-doing community. I think it’s fine that a lot of people defer to others on the logical foundations of probability and utility, but I still think some of us should be investigating it

I agree. People can specialize in what works for them. Division of labor is reasonable.

That’s fine as long as there are some people working on the foundational research stuff and some of them are open to serious debate. I think EA has people doing that sort of research but I’m concerned that none of them are open to debate. So if they’re mistaken, there’s no good way for anyone who knows to fix it (and conversely, any would-be critic who is mistaken has no good way to receive criticism from EA and fix their own mistake).

To be fair, I don’t know of any Popperian experts who are very open to debate, either, besides me. I consider lack of willingness to debate a very large, widespread problem in the world.

I think working on that problem – poor openness to debate – might do more good than everything EA is currently doing. Better debates would e.g. improve science and could make a big difference to the replication crisis.

Another way better openness to debate would do good is: currently EA has a lot of high-effort, thoughtful arguments on topics like animal welfare, AI alignment, clean water, deworming, etc. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of charities, with a ton of money, which do significantly less effective (or even counter-productive) things and won’t listen, give counter arguments, or debate. Currently, EA tries to guide people to donate to better charities. It’d potentially be significantly higher leverage (conditional on ~being right) to debate the flawed charities and win, so then they change to use their money in better ways. I think many EAs would be very interested in participating in those debates; the thing blocking progress here is poor societal norms about debate and error correction. I think if EA’s own norms were much better on those topics, then it’d be in a better position to call out the problem, lead by example, and push for change in ways that many observers find rational and persuasive.

I wrote:

Our perspectives and ways of thinking are very different. I find it confusing that you value the examples more than the concepts. And I find it confusing that you ask for more examples instead of just thinking of some yourself. I guess you can’t? Which, to me, indicates that you didn’t understand the concepts involved. But you don’t seem to be aiming to understand the concepts better.

I don’t think anyone will adopt my suggested policies without understanding the concepts, but I could be wrong. I’m also not sure it’s a good idea to adopt policies without understanding the concepts behind them. If you don’t understand the concepts well, then you don’t really understand their purpose, and therefore are likely to do a lot of things which defeat the purpose. Also, you can’t correctly judge if the policy is good without understanding the conceptual reasoning that leads to the policy. And you can’t tell if you’re using a policy right if you don’t understand its purpose well, which is a conceptual issue.

My arguments in favor of policies are conceptual, not about the concretes of specific policies. If someone doesn’t understand the concepts (like the rule of law), and therefore doesn’t understand my arguments, then why would they like or want the policies? Some policies might happen to fit with some pre-existing way of thinking they have, but overall it mostly just won’t work.

And if people systematically ignore ideas they can’t easily use right away without changing their conceptual framework much, and favor ideas that are easy to practice immediately within their current conceptual framework, then that is a huge systematic bias that will prevent people from considering, debating or adopting new, better concepts. It’s a bias favoring the status quo, the already known, the similar, etc. That’s in addition to being a bias against abstractions and concepts, which I think are necessary to being a very effective thinker.

Trying to explain another way, there is the “teach a man to fish” parable. And you seem to want me to give you fish (specific policies) instead of caring about my explanations of how to get your own fish.

While strictly speaking I don’t think positive arguments are correct, I don’t think the distinction is relevant here, and there are various upsides to this sort of wording such as trying to be understood. I wanted to acknowledge the issue though.

I wrote:

I don’t think it can really be changed.

I think all types of abstract, conceptual, logical or mathematical thinking are learnable skills which are a significant part of what learning about rationality involves. As usual, I have arguments and I’m open to debate.

I have put substantial effort into teaching some of this stuff, e.g. by building from sentence grammar trees (focused on understanding a sentence) to paragraph trees (focused on understanding relationships between sentences) to higher level trees (e.g. about relationships between paragraphs). There are many things people could do to practice and get better at things. I’ve found few people want to try very persistently though. Lots of people keep looking around for things where they can have some sort of immediate success and avoid or give up on stuff that would take weeks (let alone months or years). Also a lot of people focus their learning mostly on school subjects or stuff related to their career.

I’m concerned that most people on EA are too intolerant or uncurious talk to people with large differences in perspective.

Oh, yes, to a certain degree, like most people. But less than most people in my opinion.

I don’t disagree with that. But unfortunately I don’t think the level of tolerance, while above average, is enough for many of them to deal with me. My biggest concern, though, is that moderators will censor or ban me if I’m too unpopular for too long. That is how most forums work and EA doesn’t have adequate written policies to clearly differentiate itself or prevent that. I’ve seen nothing acknowledging that problem, discussing the upsides and temptations, and stating how they avoid it while avoiding the downsides of leaving people uncensored and unbanned. Also, EA does enforce various norms, many of which are quite non-specific (e.g. civility), and it’s not that hard to make an excuse about someone violating norms and then get rid of them. People commonly do that kind of thing without quoting a single example, and sometimes without even (inaccurately) paraphrasing any examples. And if someone writes a lot of things, you can often cherry pick a quote or two which is potentially offensive, especially out of the long discussion context it comes from.

Things like downvotes can be early warning signs of harsher measures. If someone does the whole Feynman thing and doesn’t care what other people think, and ignores downvotes, people tend to escalate. They were downvoting for a reason. If they can’t socially pressure you into changing with downvotes, they’ll commonly try other ways to get what they want. On a related note, I was disappointed when I found out that both Reddit and Hacker News don’t just let users vote content to the front page and leave it at that. Moderators control what’s on the front page significantly. When the voting plus algorithm gets a result they like, they leave it alone. When they don’t like the result, they manually make changes. I originally naively thought that people setting up a voting system would treat it like an explicit written policy guarantee – whatever is voted up the most should be on top (according to a fair algorithm that also decays upvotes based on age). But actually there are lots of unwritten, hidden rules and people aren’t just happy to accept the outcome of voting. (Note: Even negative karma posts sometimes get too much visibility on small forums or subreddits, thus motivating people to suppress them further because they aren’t satisfied with the algorithm’s results. Some people aren’t like “Anyone can see it’s got -10 karma and then make a decision about whether to trust the voters or investigate the outlier or what.” Some people are intolerant and want to suppress stuff they dislike.)

I don’t know somewhere else better to go though. And my own forum is too small.

That’s why I recommand examples of policies.

I will post more examples. I have multiple essays in progress.

You might be interested in that link.

Broadly, if EA is a place where you can come to compete with others at marketing your ideas to get social status and popularity, that is a huge problem. That is not a rationality forum. That’s a status hierarchy like all the others. A rationality forum must have mechanisms for unpopular ideas to get attention, to disincentivize social climbing behaviors, to help enable people to stand up to, resist or call out social pressures, etc. It should have design features to help attention get allocated in other ways besides whatever is conventionally appealing (or attention grabbing) to people that marketing focuses on.

One of the big things I think EA is missing – and I have the same complaint about basically everyone else (again it’s not a way EA is worse) – is anyone who takes responsibility for answering criticism. No one in particular feels responsible for seeing that anyone answers criticism or questions. Stuff can just be ignored and if that turns out to be a mistake, it’s no one’s fault, no one is to blame, it was no one’s job to have avoided that outcome. And there’s no attempt to organize debate. I think a lot of debate happens anyway but it’s systematically biased to be about sub-issues instead of questioning people’s premises like I do. Most people learn stuff (or specialize in it) based on some premises they don’t study that much, and then they only want to have debates and address criticism that treats those premises as givens like they’re used to, but if you challenge their fundamental premises then they don’t know what to do, don’t like it, and won’t engage. And the lack of anyone having responsibility for anything, combined with people not wanting to deal with fundamental challenges, results in basically EA being fundamentally wrong about some issues and staying that way. People tend not to even try to learn a subject in terms of all levels of abstraction, from the initial premises to the final details, so then they won’t debate the other parts because they can’t, which is a big problem when it’s widespread. E.g. all claims about animal welfare, AI alignment, or clean water interventions depend in some way on epistemology. Most people who know something about factory farms do not know enough to defend their epistemological premises in debate. Even if they do know some epistemology, it’s probably just Bayesian epistemology and they aren’t in a position to debate with a Popperian about fundamental issues like whether induction works at all, and they haven’t read Popper, and they don’t want to read Popper, and they don’t know of any literature which refutes Popper that they can endorse, and they don’t know of any expert on their side who has read Popper and can debate the matter competently … but somehow that’s OK with them instead of seeming awful. Certainly almost everyone who cares about factory farms would just be confused instead of thinking “omg, thanks for bringing this up, I will start reading Popper now”. And of course Popperian disagreements are just one example of many. And even if Popper is totally right about epistemology and Bayes is wrong, what difference does that make to factory farming? That is a complex matter and it’d take a lot of work to make all the updates, and a lot of the relevance is indirect and requires complicated chains of reasoning to get from the more fundamental subject to the less fundamental one. But there would very likely be many updates.

But I think what they would really like is a straightforward way of doing that, with proven results.

It’s too much to ask for. We live in an inadequate society as Yudkowsky would say. Rationality stuff is really, really broken. People should be happy and eager to embark on speculative rationality projects that involve lots of hard work for no guaranteed results – because the status quo is so bad and intolerable that they really want to try for better. Anyone who won’t do that has some kind of major disagreement with not only me but also, IMO, Yudkowsky.

Basically, to see that your approach works. Right now they have no way of knowing whether what you propose provides good results. People tend to ignore problems for which there is no good solution, so, in addition to saying that something is conceptually important, you have to provide the solution.

One way to see that my approach works is that I will win every single debate including while making unexpected, counter-intuitive claims and challenging widely held EA beliefs. But people mostly won’t debate so it’s hard to demonstrate that. Also even if people began debates, they would mostly want to talk about concrete subjects like nutrition or poverty, not about debate methodology. But debating debate methodology basically has to come first, followed by debating epistemology, because the other stuff is downstream of that. If people are reasonable enough and acknowledge their weaknesses and inabilities you can skip a lot of stuff and still have a useful discussion, but what will end up happening with most people is they make around one basic error per paragraph or more, and when you try to point one out they make two more when responding, so it becomes an exponential mess which they will never untangle. They have to improve their skills and fundamentals, or be very aware of their ignorance (like some young children sorta are), before they can debate hard stuff effectively. But that’s work. By basic errors I mean things like writing something ambiguous, misreading something, forgetting something relevant that they read or wrote recently, using a biased framing for an issue, logical errors, mathematical errors, factual errors, grammar errors, not answering questions, or writing something different than what they meant. In a world where almost everyone does those types of errors around once a paragraph or more, in addition to being biased, and also not wanting to debate … it’s hard. Also people frequently try to write complex stuff, on purpose, despite lacking the skill to handle that complexity, so they just make messes.

The other way to see it works, besides debating me, is to consider it conceptually. It has reasoning. As best I know, there are criticisms of alternatives and no known refutations of my claims. If anyone knows otherwise they are welcome to speak up. But that’d require things like reviewing the field, understanding what I’m saying, etc. Which gets into issues of how people allocate attention and what happens when no one even tries to refute something because a whole group of people all won’t allocate attention to it and there’s no leader who takes responsibility for either engaging with it or delegating.

Well that was more than enough for now so I’ll just stop here. I have a lot of things i’d be interested in talking about if anyone was willing, and i appreciate that you’re talking with me. I could keep writing more but I already wrote 4600 words before this 1800 so I really need to stop now.

One vote can be -8 points. Rigged system.

lol. it was -14 with 2 votes earlier. now at -11 with 5 votes, i think that means it has 3 upvoters worth 1 point each and 2 downvoters worth 8 and 6 points. -11 score for getting 60% positive votes!?

I wrote:

Ok, this is a very good claim. I find that a very useful insight. Since it’s “no one’s job”, everything is decentralized, it means it’s hard for useful feedback to reach the ones that could use it. And there is no negative consequences for being wrong on some stuff, so it keeps going.

I really have trouble seeing how to fix that, however (are there some movements out there where this is the case?).

I haven’t read the rest yet and might not get to it today, but I’ll give a comment on this.

I think the solution is that anyone (who cares a lot) can take personal, individual responsibility for addressing criticism. I do that with my own tiny movement. There is no need to divide up responsibility. Multiple people can separately do this at once.

Isn’t that too much work? To the extent that anyone else does something useful, it’s less work. If the movement is tiny, then it’s a ton of work. If the movement is pretty big, and a lot of people do useful tasks, then it’s less work.

If you take responsibility, you don’t have to do everything yourself. You can delegate to anyone willing to do stuff. You just have to monitor their work. If you endorse it and it’s wrong, you were wrong. If it’s partly wrong and partly useful, you can endorse just part of it and specify which part.

You also don’t even have to delegate everything. People may do stuff without you asking them to. You can take responsibility even if you’re not seen as a leader and have zero people who will do tasks at your request. What you do is figure out what usable, endorsable essays and other materials the movement has, and figure out what’s missing, and fill in whatever’s missing to your satisfaction. With a larger movement, many people’s opinion would be that nothing crucial is missing, so their initial workload is merely reviewing what exists, learning about it, getting a kind of organized overview of it figured out, and being satisfied.

When critics come along and want to debate, maybe someone will answer them in a way you consider satisfactory. Or maybe not. If you take responsibility for these ideas and think they’re true, then you should monitor to see that critics get answered in ways you’re content with. If there are any gaps where debate or answers aren’t happening to your satisfaction, then you need to fill in that gap (or, in the alternative, admit there is a gap, and say unfortunately you’re too busy to deal with the whole gap, so not all criticism has been answered and debated yet, so you aren’t confident you’re right).

To fill in a gap where some critic is raising an issue, there are two basic scenarios, the easy and hard one:

easy scenario: the issue is addressed somewhere. the critic just needs to be provided with a link or cite. sometimes a little bit of extra text is needed to explain how the generic information in the article answers the specific information the critic brings up. i’ve called this bridging material. it’s a type of personalization or customization. there are a lot of cases where a paragraph of customization can add a lot to a cite/link. you also may need to specify which part of a link/cite is relevant rather than the whole thing, and may need to give disclaimers/exclusions to go with the link/cite.

all of that is pretty fast and a pretty low amount of work. and it’s something that people can contribute to a movement without being geniuses or great essay writers or anything like that. people who just read and liked a lot of a movement’s materials can help by sharing the right links in the right places. if a movement has a lot of literature, then this will probably address over 80% of criticism.

hard scenario: the issue is not already addressed somewhere. new ideas/arguments/literature are needed. this is more work. if this comes up a bunch and it’s too much work for you, and others won’t help enough, then the movement isn’t really fully fleshed out and you shouldn’t be confident about being right.

this is how i do stuff with my own tiny philosophy movement. i monitor for issues that should be addressed but no one else addresses. i have some fans who will sometimes provide links to existing essays so i don’t have to. I occasionally delegate something though not very often. since my movement is tiny i don’t expect a ton of help, but on the other hand i can refer to the writing of dead authors to answer a lot of issues. i try to learn from and build on some authors i found that i think did good work. it’d be really problematic to try to do everything myself from scratch. if i tried to reinvent the wheel, i’d almost certainly come up with worse ideas than already exist. instead i try to find and understand the best existing ideas and then add some extra insights, changes and reorganization.

and i have a debate policy so if a critic will neither use nor criticize my debate policy (and someone has linked him to it), then i don’t think i need to answer his criticism (unless i actually think he has a good point, in which case i’d want to that point even if it has no advocates who are smart, reasonable or willing to debate). i have a forum where critics can come and talk about my philosophy. EA has a forum too which is one of the main reasons I’m talking to EA at all. not enough movements, groups or individuals even have forums (which IMO is a major problem with the world).

(I do not count facebook groups, subreddits, twitter, discords, or slacks as forums. social media and chatrooms are different than forums. comment sections on blogs, substacks, news articles, etc., also aren’t proper forums. having an actual forum matters IMO. Examples of forum software include Discourse, phpbb and google groups. I view forums as a bit of a remnant of the old internet that has lost a ton of popularity to social media. i think LW/EA partly have forums because the community started before smartphones got so popular.)

I offered to find errors in texts EAs share with me.

Yes, it can be learned - and I had to learn that in engineering school. But I didn’t like it. As I said, I found doing that sluggish, boring and not motivating. I can do it if I am forced to, but this makes me lose motivation - and keeping my motivation is very important for me to stay active. If learning about energy was purely abstract thinking, I simply wouldn’t bother, even if it’s important. So I prefer to play on my strong suits - that’s more sustainable for me.

Not gonna debate this right now (unless maybe you wanted to focus on this topic instead of others) but I wanted to clarify: When I said it’s learnable, I meant learnable in a way that you like it, don’t have motivation problems, aren’t bored, it isn’t sluggish, everything works well. Those things you talk about are serious problems – they mean something (fixable) is going wrong. That’s what I think.

I made a little list of feedback based on the I read in your posts.

Thanks. I appreciate work people do that facilitates me getting along with more EAs better, so that I can better share potentially valuable ideas with EA.

You said that you won every debate, and your way of doing works, but I have no way of knowing that from the outside.

Yeah I don’t expect anyone to trust that or to look through tens of thousands of pages of discussion history (which is publicly available FWIW). And I don’t know of any way to summarize past debates that will be very persuasive. Instead, all I really want, is that at least one person from EA is willing to debate, and if I get a good outcome, then a second person should become willing to debate, and so on. And e.g. if I get to 5 good debate outcomes with EA people then a lot more people ought to start paying some attention, considering my ideas, etc. It should be possible to get attention from EA people by a series of debates without doing marketing, making friends, or other social climbing. And starting with one at a time is fine but I shouldn’t have to go through hundreds of debates one at a time to persuade hundreds of EAs.

I think that’s a reasonable thing to ask for even if I had no past debate history. But I don’t know of any communities (besides my own) that actually offer it. I think that’s one of the major problems with the world which matters more than a lot of the causes EA works on. Imagine how much more easily EA could do huge amounts of good if just 10% of the charities and large companies were open to debate, and EAs could go win debates with them and then they’d actually change stuff.

You could provide an example of something specific that could be improved in animal welfare advocacy by using the Popper method, showing why it is superior.

I don’t have any quick win for that. Just a potential very very long debate involving learning a ton of ideas which could potentially lead to EAs changing their mind about some of these beliefs. I have long, complicated arguments regarding other EA topics too, such as AI alignment (which again depends significantly on epistemology, so Popper is relevant). I’ve been interested in talking about AI alignment for years but I don’t know any way to get anyone on the other side of the AI alignment debate to engage with me seriously.

Don’t try to sell a tool or a solution itself - show that you get better results this way (using examples). If it works, then some people will try to use the solution.

I often get results that I consider better, but which other people would evaluate differently, or wouldn’t know how to evaluate, or wouldn’t be able to replicate without learning a lot of the background knowledge I have. When people have different ideas, it often means the way of evaluating outcomes itself has to be debated/discussed – which partly means talking about concepts, abstractions, philosophy, etc. And then the specific evaluations can require a lot of discussion and debate too. So you can’t just show an outcome – there has to be substantial discussion for people to understand.

One of your post spent 22 minutes to say that people shouldn’t misquote. It’s a rather obvious conclusion that can be exposed in 3 minutes top. I think some people read that as a rant.

I’m highly confident that EAers broadly disagree with me on that topic, which is why I wrote that article. It’s not obvious. It’s controversial. And I believe it’s an ongoing, major problem on the forum that is not being solved.

It’s related to another article I’m considering writing, which would claim basically that raising intellectual standards would significantly improve EA’s effectiveness. Widespread misquoting, plus widespread not really caring about or minding misquotes, is one example of EA having intellectual standards that are too low. Low intellectual standards have negative consequences for having accurate views about the world and figuring out the right conclusions about various causes. And they also makes it extremely hard to have productive debates about hard issues, especially when there’s significant culture clash or even unfriendliness.

In general, you need either friendliness or high standards to have a productive discussion or debate. It’s super hard with neither. And friendliness towards critics with significant outsider/heresy ideas is rare in general. I think EA has more of that friendliness than typical but not nearly enough to replace high intellectual standards when dealing major differences in ideas.

Antagonizing people is easy, even by accident. I’m not saying you are doing that, but it’s still very important, so I add that just in case.

I know that I often antagonize people by accident. I’m not going to deny that or feel defensive about it. It’s a topic I’m happy to talk about openly, but IME other people often don’t want to. I have sometimes been accused of being mean, at which point I ask for quotes, at which point they usually don’t want to provide any quotes, or occasionally provide a quote they don’t want to analyze. Anyway it’s a difficult problem which I have worked on.

What follows logically, then, is what is the most effective way of making EA better? I don’t have a good answer to that yet, but that 's what I will try to answer.

I don’t have a plan that I particularly expect to work, but I have a few things to try. One plan is getting people to debate or, failing that, to talk about issues like why debating matters. Another plan is to get a handful of people to take an interest, discuss stuff at length, learn more about my ideas, and then help change things. Another plan (that I’ve already been working on for 20 years) is to write good stuff – at EA or even just at my own websites – and maybe something good will happen as a result.

I think I’m aware of a bunch of problems and difficulties that you aren’t familiar with, which make the problem even harder. For example, I have objections to a lot of the psychology and marketing stuff you mention. But anyway, to summarize, I know something about debating issues rationally but less about getting anyone to like me or listen. One of the main problems is social hierarchies, and in very short I think any plan involving social climbing is the wrong plan. Eliezer Yudkowsky also has a lot of negative things to say about social hierarchies but unfortunately I don’t see that reflected in the EA or LW communities – I fear that no one figured out much about how to turn criticism of social hierarchies into action to actually create different types of communities.

Also, when you have conclusions that rely on different background knowledge than your audience has, it’s very hard to explain them in short ways, which are how people want and expect information, while also making it rationally persuasive (which requires explaining a lot of things people don’t already know, or else they should not find it persuasive without debating, discussing or studying it first to find out more).

Ok, very well. I’m not sure it’s reasonable to expect everyone to take responsibility for changing on a topic - but changing requires efforts and time, and it’s not realistic to expect every people to do all of that.

I don’t expect everyone to do it. I expect more than zero people to do it.

Or, if it is zero people, then I expect people to acknowledge a serious, urgent problem, and to appreciate me pointing it out, and to stop assuming their group/side is right about things which no one on in their group/side (including themselves) will take responsibility for the correctness of.

Honesty about reading

Skimming and other ways of reducing reading can work well and I’ve been interested in them for a long time. Getting better at reading helps too (I’ve read over 400,000 words in a day, so 10,000 doesn’t seem like such a daunting journey to me). But ignoring arguments, when no one on your side has identified any error, is problematic. So I suggest people should often reply to the first error (if no one else already did that in a way you find acceptable). That makes progress possible in ways that silence doesn’t.

If you think the length and organization of writing is itself an error that is making engaging unreasonably burdensome, then that is the first error that you’ve identified, and you could say that instead of saying nothing. At that point there are ways for problem solving and progress to happen, e.g. the author (or anyone who agrees with him) could give a counter-argument, a rewrite, or a summary (particularly if you identify a specific area of interest – then they could summarize just the part you care about).

I recently posted about replying to the first error:

It’s particularly important to do this with stuff which criticizes your ideas – which claims you’re wrong about something important and impactful – so it’s highly relevant to you.

“When I said it’s learnable, I meant learnable in a way that you like it, don’t have motivation problems, aren’t bored, it isn’t sluggish, everything works well.”

Wow, this means you could have an entire class of people, including ones who have trouble with maths (with like say complex equations), and you 'd be able to teach them to do maths in ways they like ? That would be very impressive! I’d like to learn more, do you have sources on that ?

I have multiple types of writing (and videos) related to this:

• educational and skill-building materials (e.g. grammar trees, text analysis or tutoring videos)
  • writing about how learning works (e.g. practice and mastery)
  • writing about epistemology – key philosophical concepts behind the other stuff
  • writing about why some opposing views (like genetic IQ) are mistaken

I’ve been developing and debating these ideas for many years, and I don’t know of any refutations or counter-examples to my claims, but I’m not popular/influential and have not gotten very many people to try my ideas much.

In terms of the subject matter itself, math is one of the better starting points. However, people often have some other stuff that gets in the way like issues with procrastination, motivation, project management, sleep schedule, “laziness”, planning ahead, time preference, resource budgeting (including mental energy), self-awareness, emotions, drug use (including caffeine, alcohol or nicotine), or clashes between their conscious ideas and intuitions/subconscious ideas. These things can be disruptive to math learning, so they may need to be addressed first. In other words, if one is conflicted about learning math – if part of them wants to and part doesn’t – then they may need to deal with that before studying math. There are also a lot of people who are mentally tired most of the time and they need to improve that situation rather than undertake a new project involving lots of thinking.

Also most current educational materials for math, like most topics, are not very good. It takes significant skill or help to deal with that.

There is an issue where, basically, most people don’t believe me that I have important knowledge and won’t listen. Initial skepticism is totally reasonable but I think what should happen next, from at least a few people, is a truth seeking process like a debate using rational methods instead of just ignoring something, on the assumption it’s probably wrong, with no attempt to identify any error. That way people can find errors in my ideas, or not, and either way someone can learn something.

Part of what’s going on here is that Popperian epistemology says, in brief summary, we learn by critical thinking and debate (both within our mind and with others). Bayesian epistemology does not say that. It (comparatively) downplays the roles of debate and criticism.

In the Popperian view, a rational debate is basically the same process as rational thinking but externalized to involve other people. Or put the other way around, trying to make critical arguments about ideas in your head that you’re considering is one of the main aspects of thinking.

I’m unaware of any Bayesian who claims to have adequate knowledge of Popper who has written some kind of refutation of Popperian epistemology, or who endorses and takes responsibility for a particular refutation written by someone familiar with Popper’s views. This is asymmetric. Popper wrote refutations of Bayesian ideas and generally made a significant effort to critically analyze other schools of thought besides his own and to engage with critics.

Also, if you want people to debate you, maybe you should make a shortlist of the top things you feel would be productive to debate you on. : )

The things I’m most interested in debating are broad, big picture issues like about debate methodology or what the current state of the Popper/Bayes debate is (e.g. what literature exists, what is answered by what, what is unanswered). Attempts to debate other topics will turn into big picture discussions anyway because I will challenge premises, foundations or methodology.

The debate topic doesn’t really matter to me because, if it isn’t one of these big picture issues, I’ll just change the topic. The bigger picture issues have logical priority. Reaching a conclusion related to e.g. poverty depends on debate and thinking methodology, what epistemology is correct, what knowledge is, what is a good argument, what does it take to reach a conclusion about an issue, how should people behave during debates, when should people use literature references or write fresh arguments, etc. I don’t want to name some attention-getting issues as potential debate topics and then effectively bait-and-switch people by only talking philosophy. I’ll either talk about the issues I think have logical priority or else, if we disagree about that, then about which issues have logical priority and why. Either way it’ll be fairly far removed from any EA causes, though it’ll have implications for EA causes.

1 Like

Questions like: How can I show that this theoretical stuff can be useful in the real world ?

I have answers to this and various other things, but I don’t have short, convincing answers that work with pre-existing shared premises with most people. The difficulty is too much background knowledge is different. My ideas make more sense and can be explained in shorter ways if someone knows a lot about Karl Popper’s ideas. My Popperian background and perspective clashes with the Bayesian perspectives here and it’s not mainstream either. (There are no large Popperian communities comparable to LW or EA to go talk to instead.)

The lack of enough shared premises is also, in my experience, one of the main reasons people don’t like to debate with me. People usually don’t want to rethink fundamental issues and actually don’t know how to. If you go to a chemist and say “I disagree with the physics premises that all your chemistry ideas are based on”, they maybe won’t know how to, or want to, debate physics with you. People mostly want to talk about stuff within their field that they know about, not talk about premises that some other type of person would know about. The obvious solution to this is talk to philosophers, but unfortunately philosophy is one of the worst and most broken fields and there’s basically no one reasonable to talk to and almost no one doing reasonable work. Because philosophy is so broken, people should stop trusting it and getting premises from it. Everything else is downstream of philosophy, so it’s hurting EA and everything else. But this is a rather abstract issue which, so far, I haven’t been able to get many people to care much about.

I could phrase it using more specifics but then people will disagree with me. E.g. “induction is wrong so…” will get denials that induction is wrong. (Induction is one of the main things Popper criticized. I don’t think any philosopher has ever given a reasonable rebuttal to defend induction. I’ve gone through a lot of literature on that issue and asked a lot of people.) The people who deny induction is wrong consistently want to take next steps that I think are the wrong approach, such as debating induction without using literature references or ignoring the issue. Whereas I think the next step should basically be to review the literature instead of making ad hoc arguments. But that’s work. I’ve done that work but people don’t want to trust my results (which is fine) and also don’t want to do the work themselves, which leaves it difficult to make progress.

Attracting readers is a different activity than truth seeking. Articles should be evaluated primarily by whether people can refute what the article says or not. If I avoid errors that anyone knows about, then I’ve done a great job. A rational forum should be able to notice that, value it and engage with it, without me doing anything extra to get attention.

Truth seeking and attracting typical readers are different skills. People usually aren’t great at both. A community that emphasizes and rewards attracting will tend to get issues wrong and alienate rational people.

I got to a major, motivating point (“a bias where long criticism is frequently ignored”) in the third sentence. If someone is unable to recognize that as something to care about, or gets bored before getting that far, then I don’t think they’re the right audience for me. They could also find out about “Method: Reply to the First Important Error” by reading the bullet point outline.

I read far worse writing all the time. It’s not a big deal. Readers should be flexible and tolerant, learn to skim as desired, etc. They should also pick up on less prominent quality signals like clarity.

Any time I spend on polishing means less writing and research. I write or edit daily. I used to edit/polish less and publish more, and I still think that might have been better. There are tradeoffs. I now have a few hundred thousand unpublished words awaiting editing, including over 30,000 words in EA-related drafts since I started posting here.

I’m also more concerned with attracting especially smart, knowledgeable, high-effort readers than attracting a large number of readers. Put another way, the things you’re asking for are not how I decide what articles or authors to read.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. I intentionally added some summary to some articles recently, which I viewed as similar to an abstract from an academic paper. I’m not necessarily against that kind of thing, but I do have concerns to take into account.

I think you’re mistaken about evolutionary psychology and brains, but I don’t know how to correct you (and many other people similar to you) because your approach is not optimized for debate and (boring!?) scholarship like mine. That is one of many topics where I’d have some things to say if people changed their debate methodology, scholarly standards, etc. (I already tried debating this topic and many others in the past, but I found that it didn’t work well enough and I identified issues like debate methodology as the root cause of various failures.)

I also agree with and already (try to) do some of what you say. I have lots of material breaking things into smaller parts and making it easier to learn. But there are difficulties, e.g. when the parts are small then the value from each one individually (usually) becomes small too. To get a big result people have to learn many small parts and combine them, which can be hard and require persistence and project management. You’re not really saying anything new to me, which is fine, but FYI I already know about additional difficulties which it’s harder to find answers for.

The brain is better at processing stuff that is concrete. Visual stuff like pictures.

I’m personally not a very visual thinker and I’m good at abstract thinking. This reads to me as denying my lived experience or forgetting that other types of people exist. If you had said that the majority of people like pictures, then I could have agreed with you. It’s not that big a deal – I’m used to ignoring comments that assume I don’t exist or make general statements about what people are like which do not apply to me. I’m not going to get offended and stop talking to you over it. But I thought it was relevant enough to mention.

The alternatives are things like:

• raise intellectual standards
  • have debate policies
  • use rational debate to reject lots of bad ideas
  • judge public intellectuals by how they handle debate, and judge ideas by the current objective state of the debate
  • read and engage with some other philosophers (e.g. Popper, Goldratt and myself)
  • actually write down what’s wrong with the bad philosophers in a clear way instead of just disliking them (this will facilitate debating and reaching conclusions about which ones are actually good)
  • investigate what philosophical premises you hold, and their sources, and reconsider them

There are sub-steps, e.g. to raise intellectual standards people need to improve their ability to read, write and analyze text, and practice that until a significantly higher skill level and effectiveness is intuitive/easy. That can be broken down into smaller steps such as learning grammar, learning to make sentence tree diagrams, learning to make paragraph tree diagrams, learning to make multi-paragraph tree diagrams, etc.

I have a forum people can join and plenty of writing and videos which include actionable suggestions about steps to take. I’ve also have proposed things that I think people can picture, like that all arguments are addressed in truth-seeking and time-efficient ways instead of ignored. If that was universal, it would have consequences such as it being possible to go to a charity or company and telling them some ideas and making some arguments and then, if you’re right, they probably change. If 10% of charities were open to changing due to rational argument, it’d enable a lot of resources to be used more effectively.

BTW, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have much confidence in your political opinions (or spend much time or effort on them) without doing those other kinds of activities first.

I’m actually interested in that - if you have found sources and documents that provide a better picture of how brains work, I’d be interested. The way I work in debate is that if you provide somehing that explains the world in a better way than my current explanation, then I’ll use it.

I have already tried telling people about evolutionary psychology and many other topics that they are interested in.

I determined that it mostly doesn’t work due to incorrect debate methodology, lack of intellectual skills (e.g. tree-making skills or any alternative to accomplish the same organizational purposes), too-low intellectual standards (like being dismissive of “small” errors instead of thinking errors merit post mortems), lack of persistence, quitting mid-discussion without explanation (often due to bias against claims you’re losing to in debate), poor project management, getting emotional, lack of background knowledge, lack of willingness to get new background knowledge mid-discussion, unwillingness to proceed in small, organized steps, imprecision, etc.

Hence I’ve focused on topics with priority which I believe are basically necessary prerequisite issues before dealing with the other stuff productively.

In other words, I determined that standard, widespread, common sense norms for rationality and debate are inadequate to reach true conclusions about evolutionary psychology, AGI, animal welfare, capitalism, what charity interventions should be pursued, and so on. The meta and methodological issues need to be dealt with first. And people’s disinterest in those issues and resistance to dealing with them is a sign of irrationality and bias – it’s part of the problem.

So I don’t want to attempt to discuss evolutionary psychology with you because I don’t think it will work well due to those other issues. I don’t think you will discuss such a complex, hard issue in a way that will actually lead to a correct conclusion, even if that requires e.g. reading books and practicing skills as part of the process (which I suspect it would require). Like you’ll make an inductivist or justificationist argument, and then I’ll mention that Popper refuted that, and then to resolve the issue we’ll need a whole sub-discussion where you engage with Popper in a way capable of reaching an accurate conclusion. That will lead to some alternatives like you could read and study Popper, or you could review the literature for Popper critics who already did that who you could endorse, or you could argue that Popper is actually irrelevant, or there are other options but none are particularly easy. And there can be many layers of sub-issues, like most people should significantly improve their reading skills before it’s reasonable to try to read a lot of complex literature and expect to find the truth (rather than doing it more for practice), and people should improve their grammar skills before expecting to write clear enough statements in debates, and people should improve their math and logic skills before expecting to actually get much right in debates, and people should improve their introspection skills before expecting to make reasonably unbiased claims in debates (and also so they can more accurately monitor when they’re defensive or emotional).

I tried, many times, starting with an object level issue, discussing it until a few errors happened, and then trying to pivot the discussion to the issues which caused and/or prevented correction of those errors. I tried using an initial discussion as a demonstration that the meta problems actually exist, that the debate won’t work and will be full of errors, etc. I found basically that no one ever wanted to pivot to the meta topic. Having a few errors pointed out did not open their eyes to a bigger picture problem. One of the typical responses is doing a quick, superficial “fix” for each error and then wanting to move on without thinking about root causes, what process caused the error, what other errors the same process would cause, etc.

Sorry you took it that way.

This is an archetypical non-apology that puts blame on the person you’re speaking to. It’s a well known stereotype of how to do fake apologies. If you picked up this speech pattern by accident because it’s a common pattern that you’ve heard a lot, and you don’t realize what it means, then I wanted to warn you because you’ll have a high chance of offending people by apologizing this way. I think maybe it’s an accident here because I didn’t get a hostile vibe from you in the rest; this one sentence doesn’t fit well. It’s also an inaccurate sentence since I didn’t take it that way. I said how it reads. I spoke directly about interpretations rather than simply having one interpretation I took for granted and replied based on. I showed awareness that it could be read, interpreted or intended in multiple ways. I was helpfully letting you know about a problem rather than being offended.

This would centralize the information in one spot (that you can redirect people to in future debates and works).

I have tried many centralizing or organizing things. Here’s an example of one which has gotten almost no response or interest: Philosophy Outline: Reason & Morality · Elliot Temple

Anyway, I have plenty more things I could try. I have plenty to say. And I know there’s plenty of room for improvement in my stuff including regarding organization. I will keep posting things at EA for now. Even if I stop, I’ll keep posting at my own sites. Even if no one listens, it doesn’t matter so much; I like figuring out and writing about these things; it’s my favorite activity.

An unrelated note: I liked your post on the damage big companies were doing on your forum.

FYI, it’s hard for me to know what post you mean without a link or title because I have thousands of posts, and I often have multiple posts about the same topic.

I don’t really understand why you think the damage they do is not compatible with capitalism - I don’t see anything in the definition of capitalism that would preclude such an outcome.

The definition of capitalism involves a free market where the initiation of force (including fraud) is prohibited. Today, fraud is pretty widespread at large companies. Also, many versions of capitalism allow the government to use force, but they do not allow the government to meddle in the economy and give advantages to some companies over others which are derived from the government’s use of force (so some companies are, indirectly via the government, using force against competitors). Those are just two examples (of many).

(I may not reply further about capitalism or anything political, but I thought that would be short and maybe helpful.)

so you can’t distinguish between people who have something to hide and people who would be ok with the concept if they had heard about it.

You can tell them about the debate policy concept and see how they react. You can also look at whether they respond to criticisms of their work. You can also make a tree of the field and look at whether that expert is contributing important nodes to it or not.

I don’t see such a practice becoming mainstream for the next few decades.

I think it could become important, widespread and influential in a few years if it had a few thousand initial supporters. I think getting even 100 initial supporters is the biggest obstacle, then turning that into a bigger group is second. Then once you have a bigger group that can be vocal enough in online discussions, they can get noticed by popular intellectuals and bring up debate policies to them and get responses of some kinds. Then you just need one famous guy to like the idea and it can get a lot more attention and it will then be possible to say “X has a debate policy; why don’t you?” And I can imagine tons of fans bringing that up in comment sections persistently for many of the popular online intellectuals. It’s easy to imagine fans of e.g. Jordan Peterson bugging him about it endlessly until he does it.

I think the reason that doesn’t happen is that most people don’t actually seem to want it, like it or care, so getting to even 100 supporters of the idea is very hard. The issue IMO is the masses resisting, rejecting or not caring about the idea (of the few who see it, most dislike or ignore it), including at EA, for reasons I don’t understand well enough.

For instance, let’s take someone like Nate Hagens. How would you go to judge his reliability?

I glanced at the table of contents and saw mention of Malthus. That’s a topic I know about, so I could read that section and be in a pretty good position to evaluate it or catch errors. Finding a section where I have expertise and checking that is a useful technique.

There’s a fairly common thing where people read the newspaper talking about their field and they are like “wow it’s so bad. this is so amateurish and full of obvious errors”. Then they read the newspaper on any other topic and believe the quality is decent. It isn’t. You should expect the correctness of the parts you know less about to probably be similar to the part you know a lot about.

At a glance at the Malthus section, the book seems to be on the same side as Malthus, which I disagree with. So a specific thing I’d look for is whether the book brings up and tries to address some of the arguments on my side that I regard as important. If it ignores the side of the debate I favor, and doesn’t have any criticisms of anything I believe, that’d be bad. I did a text search for “Godwin” and there are no results. (Godwin is a classical liberal political philosopher from the same time period as Malthus who I like a lot. He wrote a book about why Malthus was wrong.) There are also no results for “Burke” and no mention of Adam Smith (nor turgot, bastiat, condorcet, mises, rothbard, hayek). I see it as a potentially bad sign to look at old thinkers/writers only to bring up one who is on your side without talking about other ideas from the time period including disagreements and competing viewpoints. It can indicate bias to cherry pick one past thinker to bring up.

That’s inconclusive. Maybe it gives fair summaries of rival viewpoints and criticizes them; I didn’t look enough to actually know. I don’t want to spend more time and energy on this right now (also I dislike the format and would want to download a copy of the book to read it more). I think it gives you some idea about ways to approach this – methods – even though I didn’t actually do much. Also, in my experience, the majority of books like this will fail at fact checking at least once if you check five random cites, so that would be worth checking if you care about whether the facts in the book are trustworthy.

What sort of examples do you want? Do you want me to call out specific individuals who misquoted and say that’s bad? You could look through my comment history and find some examples if you want to, but I thought drawing attention to and shaming those people would be bad.

It’s easier to discuss whether misquoting is very bad for truth seeking, and mistreats a victim, without simultaneously making it a discussion about whether particular individuals in the community are bad.

The deadnaming article has a one paragraph summary near the start. It also has the text:

I think this norm [against deadnaming] is good. I think the same norm should be applied to misquoting for the same reasons. It currently isn’t (context).

The links clarify that EA does not have a strong norm against misquoting. What’s the problem? Maybe you missed that part when skimming? It’s in the introduction immediately before the article summary. The rest of the article does not attempt to argue this point; it’s talking about something else which builds on this premise.

Why is this even controversial? If I tell you a misquote or poor cite in the sequences or some other literature you like, you aren’t going to care much or start taking actions regarding the problem (such as checking whether the same author made more errors of a similar nature), right? You don’t believe that misquoting is like deadnaming someone and should have a similar norm against it because it’s hurtful to the victim in addition to being poor scholarship, do you? Don’t you disagree with me and know that you disagree with me? The norm I’m advocating is not normal nor popular with any large group. So, fine, disagree with me – but I find it a really bizarre reaction for people who disagree with me to dismiss my arguments on the basis that I’m obviously right and this is a waste of time due to being uncontroversial common knowledge. Most people think stuff like “People are sloppy sometimes, which isn’t a big deal.” instead of thinking, “Being sloppy with quotes in particular isn’t acceptable. Use copy/paste. If you must type something in, triple check it. There’s no real excuse for quotes to be inaccurate in tiny ways; that’s really bad even if the wording changes do not substantively change the meaning.”

I’d like to first establish that this issue matters, and only second, potentially point out some specific examples. As long as I don’t think anyone considers misquoting to actually be very bad, I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring up examples of people doing it. Also I don’t think the problem is a few individuals behaving badly; it’s a widespread problem of community attitudes and norms. The community simply doesn’t value this kind of accuracy and is OK with misquotes; in that context, it’s unfair to be very hard on individuals who get caught misquoting, so that’s another reason not to name and shame anyone. If i give examples people will just tell me that the misquote didn’t change the conclusion in that case and therefore doesn’t really matter (rather than agreeing with me), which is not the point. Misquotes mistreat the person quoted like deadnaming, and also like other inaccuracies they’re bad for truth seeking whether or not they change the conclusion. These are not popular claims, but I think they’re important, so I tried to argue and explain them, and neither of these claims would be served well by examples because they’re both about concepts not concretes. And if people don’t like conceptual articles, or struggle to understand them, or don’t like long articles … fine whatever, but saying that people agree with me, when they don’t, is really weird.

I think a question you should ask yourself is “If I can only have a limited number of exchanges with people, and they have a limited time, what do I want them to learn?”. And then just mention a few things that are the best/most useful stuff you have in store.

That’s not my goal. My goal is basically to understand complex, important issues, figure out the right answers, explain them, and make it possible for others to learn (and/or debate) what I know. I’m more interested in enabling someone to become a great thinker by a large effort, not in offering some quick wins. Besides not being what I primarily care about, there are also various difficulties and downsides with quick wins.

Is this for everyone? No. Should some people want it? Yes.

Why should anyone believe me about the quality or importance of anything I say, or be interested to keep going past reading one or two things? Because they can’t point out any errors so far.

I think putting a time or quantity limit on engagement, independent of finding any errors, is the wrong approach. If they do find errors, they should debate instead of just assuming they’re right. They could at least debate until Curiosity – Claiming You Objectively Won A Debate

If someone else debates, maybe you don’t need to. But if no one else on your side will debate, then you ought to recognize you have no allies who are actually being useful and take action yourself. If none of the intellectuals you like and get ideas from will debate, nor any of their (other) followers, then you should lose some respect for those leaders and groups, and try to proceed rationally yourself as best you can.

I think one reason most people are not interested is that they don’t feel concerned by the idea. I don’t feel concerned by it. It feels it could work for public intellectuals

If you get ideas from public intellectuals who are doing rationality wrong, then you are in trouble too, not just them. You need to do rationality things right yourself and/or find thought leaders who are doing things right. So it is each individual’s problem even if they aren’t a public intellectual.