Elliot Shares Links (2021)

i think Elliot really wants people to use goals. he probably wants them to state their goals to. my main goal in writing this message is mostly to write 10 messages before the 30 timer on my phone ends.

i think this picture shows Elliot has posted approximately 297 times, and other people have posted approximately 380 (all posts) - 297 (elliots posts). which would equal 83 posts from not elliot

It seems bad how few replies there are for how many messages Elliot has made. if he makes a message with a link in it, he probably thinks there is something in that link that could be responded to. you could even respond something like: i dont think there is much to respond to here

1 Like

Daring fireball:

Apple Newsroom:

…Apple’s industry-leading VoiceOver screen reader will get even smarter using on-device intelligence to explore objects within images.

i dont know what VoiceOver screen reader is. i guess it does something like: reads text, then turns it into audio so you can listen to the text. I doubt it has as good as Voice Dream Reader. i am not sure if its really competing with voice dream reader or not.

Ya and note if you get to 10 posts you’ll be in third place already

i currently have the goal of responding to 10 messages before my timer ends. it seemed liek it would take to long to respond to a twitter thread. i just now realized while typing this that i can respond to one of the first things i see in that twitter thread so it wont acatually take that long

An interesting thing about watching video game streaming where streamers verbalize their logic as to strategy is that you realize that the population-wide distribution of analytical ability is wider than you remember it being.

im having a hard time understanding this sentence. rather than understand it im gonna say that i think its good to comment on your gameplay while your playing. saying outloud what you are doing will help you be more conscious of the decisions you are making. if you say something outloud instead of it just being some idea in your mind it will be easier to critcize it and know if its bad or not.

a while ago elliot told me to commentate my gameplay while i was playing overwatch. also he mentions things about language being used to like categorize ideas or something im odne with this message i gotta write more and faster

Did the Industrial Revolution decrease costs or increase quality?

i dont see a reason why it couldnt have done both.

Can You Criticize Science (or Do Science) Without Looking Like an Obsessive? Maybe Not.

thats seems like a really social thing i think? i dont know what it means to be an obsessive.

idk what the article is commenting on. im guessing its about a problem in science where you can criticize stuff without people thinking your like trying to hard or something

I’ve just accepted an offer as a remote Junior Software Engineer. My head is spinning.

i think “My head is spinning.” means he is confused. it seems like a problem that a company would give someone a job even though that person is confused presumably in relation to that job. i think his comment “My head is spinning.” refers to him being confused about something with this job.

did they not do a proper hiring process? does it not really matter if the person they hire is confused right now?

oh man i remember watching that video. its werid how companies can just be horrible at dealing with hackers. in gta online there is a massive amount of hackers where they have all kinds of powers and can make it impossible to play the game

i think part of the reason hes reacting to that video is he gets the ssex appeal aspect of the thumbnail without actually being the person whos doing hte sex appeal

stealth edits bad

ok 11 comments with 1:24 left on the timer. i thought the 11th comment was the 10th comment. i tried to really rush my last comment cuz i thought the timer was about to go off any second

yeah it’s about social dynamics screwing up science.

they don’t mean confused. i was gonna say look it up but some of the webpages just say dizzy.

this one lists “giddy” as one meaning.

he’s excited and needs some time to get used to the idea of having this awesome job. and the process went pretty fast and he’s surprised it went so well, so that’s part of why he needs time to get used to it. something like that.

yeah. i don’t think it’s about the thumbnail specifically, just the general topic. you can react to sexual content and people don’t view it the same as if you brought up sexual content yourself. they don’t see you as using sex to get attention the same way the person who brought it up first is. like it’s not your fault the other guy brought it up.

congratulations

I’m afraid that asking this might make me seem that I have some negative feelings so I wanna make it clear that I mean no ill will. I don’t understand why did you congratulate for completion of this task. Generally people congratulate others when they end up achieving hard things. As you pointed out even 10 replies puts the poster in top 3 in list of replies so that means not everyone is doing this but that does not imply that this is hard to accomplish. So do you think that this is a significant/hard accomplishment or did you write that to motivate @internetrules? If you think this is significant//hard I would like to learn why because if it is I would also like to start doing this.

I’ve repeatedly suggested people actually write posts and share thoughts and opinions, both in general and specifically on the links I shared. I think someone actually doing that is good. People seem to find it hard/impossible in some way. 15 years ago I might have thought it’s insignificant and easy, but then I found people broadly unwilling or unable to do it (and they also won’t discuss what stops them).

Also, @internetrules (from memory) didn’t have any bad posts in the 10. He made some mistakes like re head spinning. But mistakes are OK. I didn’t see dishonesty, social climbing, second-handedness, pressuring others, cargo culting, etc. They looked like his own thoughts/opinions said without trying to have some effect on other people.

By contrast, @doubtingthomas has a history of writing bad posts. If he could write 10 posts in a row that are not bad, that would be an accomplishment. I’d be somewhat surprised if he succeeded. And if he tries and fails, it’ll probably be pressuring to me – he’ll probably do something that makes it hard for me to write zero replies. And it won’t be an accident. He wants my attention. For example, if he posted a misquote of me or anyone, that would be a tactic to try to get a reaction from me, using an area (misquotes) where I’m well known to be more reactive than most other people (and also more reactive than I am for most other types of posts).

This morning I saw 3 new posts from DT.

Yaron Brook is "looking for an objectivist who is an expert on Karl Popper" - #20 by doubtingthomas was fine. It didn’t say a lot, but it was saying a thought of his.

David Deutsch Megathread - #79 by doubtingthomas was bad. It’s acting helpless/lazy/no-motor and unnecessarily trying to get other people to do stuff. It also ignores things I’ve posted (which are not original/unique) about how to ask good questions. And it doesn’t say any thoughts, opinions or goals that DT has.

The post I’m replying to right now also has bad parts. Overall it’s fine because it shares some thoughts and the question is hard to answer and DT talked about what he already knows about it – he put some reasonable thought into answering his own question. So that’s good. But it also reads as second-handed and being like “I want praise from teacher. Why did that other kid get praise? I want to understand how to get praise.” It won’t go well to write posts because of second-handed motivations, instead of because you think it will help with self-improvement.

The idea of saying things without trying to have effect on other people doesn’t make sense to me. This maybe why I do pressuring things. For example let’s say I am sharing how I think about something. One of the reasons for doing that maybe that I want the people I am sharing ideas with to tell me where I am making mistake. Is this pressuring? I understand that pressuring is a bad thing. But desiring criticism from people or expecting them to share criticism does not seem like a bad thing. I’m confused now. I don’t know where I am going with this. One thing of sense that I can make out of this is as follows: is there a way to ask for criticism without having effect on other people?

Should you want to do significant/hard stuff? I think Elliot generally advocates something like: getting a track record of success doing easy/small things before you try to do harder stuff. Do you think you have a track record of success with easier stuff?

also: i did not feel bad about your message. yay!