Elliot Shares Links (2022)

https://www.tiktok.com/@medievalfilthcauldrons/video/7081791023852178734

You can get 11 day old ground beef at Olive Garden!

Starts by talking about governments printing money, spending more money than they have, and inflation.

He measures the power of a country by 8 factors which he said he “averages”. So it’s just the kind of problematic thinking that CF criticizes.

They must be that are normalized and/or weighted first before averaging. Something must be done to try to convert between the different dimensions. He didn’t mention that though.

His factors are themselves complex things like “trade” or “education” that are presumably weighted averages of many other factors. Or else judgment calls using intuition.

He basically thinks there are repeating cycles in human affairs. While I don’t fully agree with that, it can happen if people don’t understand the causes of typical cycles and how to avoid them. The US government does seem to be falling into some of the standard patterns and traps (and has been for a long time) such as devaluating their currency.

It’s basically about the rise and fall of empires which he blames a lot on finances, and somewhat on the rich people getting lazy/decadent/etc. as a few generations on top go by.

I do think he’s raising (unoriginal) concerns that are worth consideration. (He actually really makes it sound like original research but he wasn’t really saying anything new.)

His final two conclusions were we need to spend less than we earn and treat each other well.

Huge container ships is the opposite of the small batch sizes Goldratt talked about.

1 Like

https://www.tiktok.com/@washingtonpost/video/7081328079238647086

Facebook using a proxy to covertly plant lies about TikTok in local news.

1 Like

Essay claims we have a shortage of geniuses today and that most geniuses come from aristocratic tutoring. Many geniuses didn’t go to school until they were teens, and had multiple tutors first (including sometimes their parents).

EDIT: part 2 Follow-up: Why we stopped making Einsteins - by Erik Hoel

1 Like

Interesting discussion of how awful editors are, how places like The New Yorker consistently want to cut 60% of your article, how pitching articles is a lot of the job (and is shitty), and how most writers don’t care about the final article as long as they get published and paid.

Tips for getting to 2000 substack subscribers: start with over 2000 twitter followers. Also write stuff that popular people will like and promote. Also have spent the last decade writing for mainstream publications like The Atlantic. lol.

(long)

An open letter to Tim Cook about Final Cut Pro, signed by editors and post-production pros around the world by Scott Simmons - ProVideo Coalition

Kafai has been editing films for 30 years. Since the beginning, he loves FCP classic and he could never find a better NLE. Even when he edits the TOP2 box office Chinese film (WOLF WARRIOR 2, $870M worldwide), he still uses FCP7. Asking him about FCPX, he said the software is promising but not ready yet for big budget films. He wants to co-sign this letter to encourage Apple to improve FCP. Almost the whole Chinese film industry relies on FCP7 and wish they can switch to FCPX.
– From Kafai Cheung, Editor

omg. FCP7 is from 2011.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-04-20/elon-checks-his-pockets

Litquidity put out a league table of dinner allowances, where a $35 allowance (Centerview, Morgan Stanley, etc.) was good, $30 (Evercore, Greenhill, Lazard, JPMorgan, etc.) was fine, and $25 (Goldman, Jefferies, Deutsche Bank, Citi, etc.) was bad. Goldman was bad, and there were headlines about Goldman’s cheap meal allowances and disgruntled bankers. Nobody did a league table of free breakfast and lunch at investment banks, so Goldman got no points for being generous with breakfast and lunch. 3 So Goldman sensibly added $5 to bankers’ dinner allowance, saving the bankers $5 per day, and removed the free breakfast and lunch, costing them considerably more than $5 per day. The result was a good Post headline and congratulations from Litquidity. The bankers are strictly worse off, but Goldman looks better in the rankings, which is what it is optimizing for.

I don’t like doing lame things just because other people are being dumb and looking at local optima.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Creating & Editing Video, Audio & Animation

https://www.tiktok.com/@real_time_science/video/7079035143444516142

EDIT: Is that labelling fraud? What methods should be used to determine whether it is or isn’t?

I think the right method to determine if it’s fraud is to compare it to the definition. I think there are at least two relevant definitions: technical/moral, and legal.

I think the technical/moral definition of fraud is a false or intentionally misleading representation designed to produce financial gain. Regarding the non-GMO label on products for which no GMO alternative exists, it’s not false. But it is intentionally misleading & designed that way to help sell a product. So I think it meets the technical/moral definition of fraud.

I don’t know what the legal definition of fraud is and whether it meets that. I’d look up the relevant laws if I cared enough about whether it was legally fraud or not, like if I was considering suing the companies putting the non-GMO label on products for which no GMO alternative exists.

Keyboard brightness controls on Mac for third party monitors. Also: