Eternity Async Tutoring

After you throw a small, red ball, while you sing, you should stamp your feet loudly, and you should clap your hands energetically, if it’s still daytime.

no

yes, the singing goes with the stamping and clapping

can you tell which it is with intuition? like if someone said it to you, do you know what you’d think they meant? i don’t think you should worry about figuring this detail out with grammar rules right now.

If someone said it to me I think I would but probably due to stuff like putting emphasis on certain parts when they talk and what not. Intuitively, I thought singing goes with the red ball being thrown.

Ok. I’ll move onto part three then and look at those articles on infinitives you shared earlier.

Uhh. I don’t know. If desired, I could probably write down my thought processes as I do a level.

I just glanced at a level I haven’t beat yet (and still haven’t as I write this) and I would roughly say my process playing through the game has been:
1.) Do random stuff, read text, figure out what’s going on in the level
2.) After getting a feel for the level, really read the text blocks and where they are
3.) Levels imply what they want you to do. Trust it. Most of the time they hint at what they want done. The puzzle is figuring out what they want done. So step 3 is figure out what the level is implying to beat it.
4.) Try and solve the puzzle.
5.) If you still haven’t solved it, give it a little more time and then re-judge if there is another way this puzzle can be approached. Keep repeating until beaten.

That’s it really. I would add to it that while I do break the level into parts. I’m usually breaking the whole idea I feel the level is implying into parts. I think the level wants me to do X for a solution. Ok so what are all the steps to get X to work? Well I need “rock is push” for example, ok. The blocks “rock” “is” and “push” are in terrible spots, so I’ll focus on getting those things together before thinking of the rest of the puzzle.

EDIT:
So to answer your question: I could probably note down some stuff I’ve noticed, but strategy is the same as from when I started I feel. No real conscious adjustments to how I approach the game. I’ve just played a good bit every day, so I feel more comfortable with the game and with how things work.

Any problems or just busier recently?

Mmm. A bit of both. I was very busy near the end of last week and then this week I just got sick near the start of it. Getting sick made it hard to do the sentence analysis and stuff. I didn’t know how hard it actually was for me versus how much of it was difficulty focusing because I was sick. I think I had covid? Tested negative but I had it before and it felt the same. Idk.

I did finish reading the article yesterday. I started feeling better today. I spent most of my time in bed just playing more Baba. I beat 211 levels at 75 hours.

I’m going to work on the sentence analysis for part 3 and 4 now. I’ll try and not spend too much time on any sentence and note down any confusions I have.

1 Like

Part 3 Sentence Analysis, ~55 minutes:

Running fast isn’t fun

• isn’t = is not, so “Running fast is not fun.”
  • is - linking verb
  • running - subject, gerund
  • fun - complement
  • modifiers:
    • fast is an adjective modifying running
    • not is an adverb modifying is
  • Running in a manner that is considered fast is not enjoyable.

I don’t want to stand on my porch when it’s wet.

• don’t = do not, it’s = it is, so " I do not want to stand on my porch when it is wet."
  • do - action verb, is - linking verb
  • “I do not want to stand on my porch” is joined together with " it is wet" with the conjunction “when”.
    • “I do not want to stand on my porch”
      • do - action verb
      • I - subject
      • want - object?, infinitive?
      • modifiers:
        • not is an adverb modifying want
        • to stand on my porch is a prepositional phrase modifying want
          • to is the preposition
          • porch is the noun governed by to
          • my is modifying porch
            • stand on is a prepositional phrase modifying porch modifying? Idk. This one confuses me
    • “It is wet”
      • is - linking verb
      • It - subject, refers to my porch
      • wet - complement
      • no modifiers
    • When my porch is wet, I do not do the action of wanting to stand on my porch.

Swimming after work is too tiring.

• is - linking verb
  • swimming - subject, gerund
  • tiring - complement
  • modifiers:
    • after work is a prepositional phrase modifying swimming
      • after is the preposition
      • work is the noun governed by after
    • too is an adverb modifying tiring
  • Swimming after work is very tiring.

John gets sweaty when he does his exercise routine.

• gets - action verb, does - action verb
  • “John gets sweaty” is joined together with “he does his exercise routine” with the conjunction “when”.
    • “John gets sweaty”
      • gets - action verb
      • John - subject
      • sweaty - object, gerund?
      • no modifiers
    • “he does his exercise routine”
      • does - action verb
      • he - subject, he refers to John
      • routine - object
      • modifiers:
        • his is a reference adjective modifying routine
        • exercise is a participle? modifying routine
    • John has a routine. That routine is for exercise. It is his routine. When John does that routine, he gets sweaty.

I gave him gifts.

• gave - action verb
  • I - subject
  • gifts - object
  • modifiers:
    • him is a reference adjective modifying gave?
  • I gave gifts. I gave gifts specifically to a him.

I love to throw boomerangs to myself.

• love - action verb
  • I - subject
  • no object
  • modifiers:
    • to throw boomerangs is a prepositional phrase modifying love
      • to is the preposition
      • boomerangs is the noun governed by to
      • throw is a participle modifying boomerangs
    • to myself modifies throw
      • to is the preposition
      • myself is the noun governed by the preposition
  • I love to throw boomerangs if the person I’m throwing them to is myself.

When a movie is boring, I stop watching.

• is - linking verb, stop - action verb
  • “I stop watching” is joined together with “a movie is boring” with the conjunction when.
    • “I stop watching”
      • stop - action verb
      • I - subject
      • watching - object, gerund
    • “a movie is boring”
      • is - linking verb
      • movie - subject
      • boring - gerund, complement or is it a participle?
      • modifier:
        • a modifies movie
    • If any movie I am watching is boring, then I will stop watching it.

I like reading non-fiction books out of order.

• like - action verb
  • I - subject
  • reading non-fiction books - object, gerund
    • non-fiction books is the object of reading
  • modifiers:
    • out of order is a prepositional phrase modifying reading
      • out of is the preposition
      • order is the noun governed by out of
    • non-fiction modifies books
  • If I’m reading books that are of the non-fiction variety, I like to read them out of their specified order.

My broken speakers don’t work for making sound.

• don’t = do not, so “My broken speakers do not work for making sound.”
  • do - action verb
  • speakers - subject
  • work - object
  • modifiers:
    • my modifies speaker
    • broken modifies speaker
    • not modifies work
    • for making sound is a prepositional phrase modifying do
      • for is the preposition
      • making sound is a gerund governed by for
        • sound is the object of making
  • For the purpose of making sounds, my speakers, which are broken, do not work.

FYI, working at the CIA is cooler than the FBI.

• FYI = For your information, CIA = Central Intelligence Agency, FBI = Federal Bureau of Investigations, so “For your information, working at the Central Intelligence Agency is cooler than the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”
  • is - linking verb
  • working - subject, gerund
  • cooler - complement
  • modifiers:
    • for your information is a prepositional phrase modifying? Idk
    • at the CIA is a prepositional phrase modifying working
      • at is the preposition
      • the modifies CIA
      • CIA is the noun governed by at
    • than the FBI is a prepositional phrase modifying cooler?
      • than is the preposition
      • the modifies FBI
      • FBI is the noun governed by than

Hmm. It could be because I’m tired and I’m still recovering, but the practice for part 4 is confusing me. Here’s the first sentence:

John pet his dog and cat with vigor.

• Marking
    - {<John> <pet> <his dog>} and {<cat> <with vigor>}
  • Outline
    • {John pet his dog} and {cat}.
  • Questions
    • What action happened? Pet
    • Who pet? John
    • What was pet? Johns dog and cat
    • How was the petting performed? With vigor

Its mainly the outlining stuff. Is that outline fine? Is their necessarily a “correct” outline? I assume not. Its just a way to organize the important parts of the sentence right? I think since its kind of open ended I’m unsure as to what should be in an outline of a sentence.

“to throw” is an infinitive.

where did you get the term “reference adjective”?

Can you list all non-finite verbs in this sentence and their types? (The article’s term “verbal” means “non-finite verb” but I don’t usually use “verbal” anymore.)

This sentence needs an implied word.

Check other people’s solutions and see if that helps with anything.

This isn’t correct. You’re saying there are two clauses. But is there a verb in the second clause?

From your article. From Fallible Ideas - Grammar:

Reference adjectives are similar to pronouns, but they’re adjectives like “my”. In “John liked his job.”, the adjective “his” refers to “John” and means “John’s”. (These adjectives are also possessive.)

Its in part 3, under the section References.

Oh OK. It’s not a standard term and I forgot about it. It’s not very important/necessary but it makes sense. For words like “his” and “my” the dictionary says “possessive determiner” which is fine but neither of those terms specifies that it refers to something else like a pronoun does. FYI, “determiner” is a sub-category of adjective – a type of adjective. Some people may claim otherwise but ignore them.

Proadjective is another made-up term that would make reasonable sense (meaning “like a pronoun but an adjective”. the “pro” part means “in place of”).

However, “him” isn’t any type of adjective. The dictionary just says “pronoun”.

From Purdue Owl - Infinitives :

Be sure not to confuse an infinitive—a verbal consisting of to plus a verb—with a prepositional phrase beginning with to, which consists of to plus a noun or pronoun and any modifiers.

I did read this initially but I didn’t take it too seriously, I guess? I don’t know. So going forward to + a verb should always be treated as an infinitive (with possible rare exceptions I assume)?

To fix that one then:

I love to throw boomerangs to myself.

• love - action verb
  • I - subject
  • boomerangs - object
  • modifiers -
    • to throw is an infinitive acting as an adjective modifying boomerangs
    • to myself is a prepositional phrase modifying love
      • to is the preposition
      • myself is the noun governed by to
  • I throw boomerangs. When the person the boomerang is being thrown at is myself, I love it.

Ok. For that one I think I just got confused. I think that sentence needs an implied word? Here’s my second attempt:

I gave him gifts.

• gave - verb
  • I - subject
  • gifts - object
  • modifiers:
    • (to) him is a prepositional phrase modifying gave

My broken speakers don’t work for making sound.

• My broken speakers do not work for making sound.
  • uh verbs? do is a verb but if I’m understand correctly so far it’s the finite verb in the sentence. so that leaves potentially work, making, and sound. I treated work and sound as nouns. They have noun definitions in merriam-webster. Are either(or both) of those two supposed to be a nonfinite verb? Hmm so does making though. I don’t know.
  • The only one I think of as a non-finite verb is making. Making is a gerund?

FYI, working at the CIA is cooler than the FBI.

Ok. I initially thought that, but I felt like it made sense without implied words and I didn’t want to do more than necessary.

• Implied words " working at"
  • For your information, working at the CIA is cooler than working at the FBI.
    • is - linking verb
    • working - subject, gerund
    • cooler - complement
    • modifiers:
      • for your information is a prepositional phrase modifying idk?
      • at the CIA is a prepositional phrase modifying working
      • than working at the FBI is a prepositional phrase modifying cooler?

There isn’t a verb in the second “clause”. I think because the time I’ve spent on this has been kind of sporadic I forgot that and can also join together things other then clauses. So:

John pet his dog and cat with vigor.

{<John> <pet> <his dog and cat> <with vigor>}.
pet - verb phrase
John - subject phrase
his dog and cat - object phrase
with vigor - prepositional phrase modifying pet

This is incorrect in terms of grammar and meaning. For meaning, what is the thing the person loves? Is it the action of throwing (with some modifiers like it’s not just throwing anything) or is it an object (boomerangs)? For “to myself”, if it modifies “love” then it is not modifying the throw, so the boomerang could be thrown to anyone or anywhere.

Look up “broken”. And DO, DOES, DID + bare infinitive | Grammaring

Yes.

“FYI” modifies the whole clause. the clause is led by the verb, “is”, so more or less equivalently “FYI” modifies “is”.

yes and it contains another prepositional phrase, “at the FBI”, which modifies “working”.

OK much better. I’d also do this:

<his <dog and cat>>

The “his” applies to the whole group “dog and cat”.

Hmm. Is it something like this?:

• love - action verb
  • I - subject
  • to throw boomerangs - object, noun infinitive, and it has the object boomerang?
  • modifiers:
    • to myself is a prepositional phrase modifying to throw boomerangs

The only other thing I can think of is from your comment is that its just to throw thats a noun and boomerang is a sort of modifier? I don’t know how that works though.

Broken - From merriam-webster:
broken - adjective

violently separated into parts : shattered

: damaged or altered by or as if by breaking (see break entry 1): such as

Maybe this second definition?
break - verb, break entry 1 from merriam-webster:

a

: to separate into parts with suddenness or violence

broke a plate

Break the chocolate bar in half.

b(1)

: to cause (a bone) to separate into two or more pieces : fracture

broke her femur

(2)

: to fracture a bone of (a bodily part)

the blow broke her arm

(3)

: to dislocate or dislocate and fracture a bone of (the neck or back)

c

: to cause an open wound in : rupture

break the skin

d

: to cut into and turn over the surface of

break the soil

e

: to render inoperable

broke his watch

So broken is a form of the verb break?

Ok. So, looking up, a bare infinitive is an infinitive without to. So in the sentence work would be an infinitive there.

Yes!

Interesting. I’d recommend New Oxford dictionary as the first one you check for grammar. I think it’s better at parts of speech. It’s in Apple’s Dictionary app or on Google:

It’s common to have non-finite verbs after verbs as objects. It comes up a lot. You’ll also sometimes see them after each other, also as objects, in a chain.

Try this sentence:

Tomorrow I will have been waiting for a month!

Non-finite verbs are verbals. Verbals consist of gerunds, participles, and infinitives.

• From Cambridge Dictionary:
    • Finite verb forms show tense, person and number (I go, she goes, we went, etc.)"
    • “Non-finite verb forms do not show tense, person or number. Typically they are infinitive forms with and without to (e.g. to go, go), -ing forms and -ed forms (e.g. going, gone):”
  • Along with other stuff previously mentioned finite verbs seem to be the typical conception of verbs. They’re the verbs doing stuff in a sentence. Non-finite verbs are words based on verbs but they don’t play the same role. They can act as nouns (gerunds), adjectives (participles), or play a variety of roles (infinitive).
  • It is common to have a non-finite verb (a verbal) after a verb as an object. So it is common to have a non-finite verb acting as an object (not a verb) after the finite verb. The non-finite verbs acting as objects can also be sometimes seen in a chain, one after each other.

• will - action verb
  • I - subject
  • waiting - gerund, object
  • modifiers:
    • tomorrow - adverb modifying will, it’s giving information about when the willing object will happen
    • for a month - prepositional phrase modifying waiting
      • for is the preposition
      • a is a determiner modifying month
      • month is the noun governed by four

So looking up on google I got this for have:

used with a past participle to form the perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect tenses, and the conditional mood.

been:

past participle of be.

So should “have been” be treated as one word here?

Also I guess New Oxfords dictionary (googles dictionary) doesn’t have a definition for “for”?

Looks like a bug. Apple’s dictionary has it:

No. You never need to do that with verbs. It’s most useful for proper nouns like “Elliot Temple”.

You didn’t say what “waiting” is the object of. I think you mean it’s the object of “will”? But the thing I will is not waiting.

have is the object of will. been is the object of have. waiting is the object of been.

The thing I will is have. The thing I have is been. The thing I’ve been is waiting.

Or put another way, the thing I will is “have been waiting”. The lead of that group is “have”. The thing I will have is “been waiting”. The lead of that group is “been”, and the thing I will have been is “waiting”.

“will” is a finite verb. “have” is an infinitive. “been” is a past participle. “waiting” is a gerund.

Does that make any sense to you?

Also try looking at this and see if it helps but don’t try to read everything and just give up if it’s not working. Nonfinite verb - Wikipedia including a bunch of the links in the first paragraph.

@LMD I think you understand this right? You could share how you understand it if you know how to explain that.

Mhm. Well. It makes sense to me when you point it out and like reading about this stuff. Maybe it’s because I’ve been doing this with lots of days apart (though I should be good to do it consistently again) but I’m having issues making sense of that while looking at sentence. Or, another way to put it, my issue is identifying those things in a sentence.

Non-finite verbs don’t conjugate for number and person (pov). They don’t function as the main verb in a clause.

~yeah, I looked at the examples and they make sense when pointed out to me, but when you ask me to go and figure it out I get confused.

You need more practice over time.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. Should I go ahead and finish the part 4 sentence practice with the marking of phrases and clauses and the question based analysis?

1 Like