• Marking:
	- {Seeing is not believing}.
	- {<Seeing> <is> <not believing>}.
  • Question Based Analysis:
    • What happened? is
    • What is? Seeing
    • What is seeing? believing
    • What kind of believing? not
  • Hmm. For this one I’m kind of confused on what not is modifying. “not” modifying believing makes sense to me, but I’m unsure.

I like philosophy because it involves thinking methods.

• Marking:
	- {I like philosophy} because {it involves thinking methods}. 
	- {<I> <like> <philosophy>} because {<it> <involves > <thinking methods>}.
    • What action happened? like
    • Who/what did the liking? I
    • What was the liking done to? philosophy
    • What else happened? involves
    • Who/what did the involving? it
    • What is it? philosophy
    • It involved what? methods
    • What kind of methods? thinking
    • How are the two actions related? because

Some people don’t love truth or honesty.

• Some people do not love truth or honesty.

• Marking:

- {Some people do not love truth or honesty}.
	- {<Some people> <do> <not love> <truth or honesty>}.
  • Question-Based Analysis:
    • What action happened? do
    • Who/what do? people
    • People do what? love
    • What kind of love? not
    • What is not loved? truth
    • What else is not loved? honesty
    • How many people? some
  • Hmm is love an infinitive here with the object phrase “truth or honesty”?

John and Olivia enthusiastically sang their favorite song on the stage, but singing well wasn’t enough for the actors pretending to be judges.

• John and Olivia enthusiastically sang their favorite song on the stage, but singing well was not enough for the actors pretending to be judges.

• Marking:

- {John and Olivia enthusiastically sang their favorite song on the stage} but {singing well was not enough for the actors pretending to be judges}.
	- {<John and Olivia> <enthusiastically sang> <their favorite song <on the stage>>} but <singing well> <was> <not enough> <for the actors pretending to be judges>
  • Question-Based Analysis:
    • What happened? Sang
    • Who sang? John
    • Who also sang? Olivia
    • What was sang? song
    • What kind of song? favorite
    • What kind of favorite? their
    • How did they sing? enthusiastically
    • Where was it song? on
    • on what? stage
    • on what kind of stage? the
    • What else happened? was
    • what was? singing
    • Singing was? enough
    • What kind of enough? not
    • What kind of singing? well
    • why was the singing done? for
    • for who? judges
    • what kind of judges? pretending
    • pretending to do what? to be
    • who is pretending? actors
    • what kind of actors? the

While you’re having a discussion, never misquote anyone.

• While you are having a discussion, never misquote anyone.
- Marking:
	- While {you are having a discussion}, {never misquote anyone}.
	- While {<you> <are> <having a discussion>}, {never misquote anyone}.
  • uhh. This can be re-written as Never misquote anyone while you are having a discussion.
  • While should be joining two phrases right? Never is an adverb, misquote is the verb, anyone is a pronoun.
  • Is this a special case? I don’t know what to look up here. I thought it had something to do with “never” potentially so I just googled grammar for the word never but I don’t think the stuff I skimmed mentioned something about no subject.
  • Oh is there an implied word? I can think of adding “you should” to the beginning but I don’t think thats right here.

I think that nuclear power is safe.

• Marking:
	- {I think} that {nuclear power is safe}.
	- {<I> <think>} that {<nuclear power> <is> <safe>}.
    • What happened? think
    • who think? I
    • What else happened? is
    • what is? power
    • power is what? safe
    • what kind of power? nuclear
    • How are the two actions related? that

I think it’s

{<Seeing> <is not> <believing>}

This is one of the cases where it’s hard to tell the difference, based on the meaning, between multiple options for where a modifier goes. That’s one of the more common ways an exact tree is harder to figure out.

I think the contraction is a hint that is+not go together, but I’d have the same opinion if the contraction wasn’t used.

It’s hard to explain exactly why and it shouldn’t generally matter to philosophical analysis.

I think it’s an “is not” relationship with “believing” rather than an “is” relationship with “not believing”.

I wrote my comments above before seeing this.

It’s hard to tell if “not” modifies “do” or “love”. My guess is it modifies “do”. “do” is the more important (finite verb vs. object) and earlier word (comes earlier in the sentence and higher in the tree), similar to the earlier sentence where “is” was more important (verb vs. object) and earlier than “believing”. Also, if the modifier applies to the group, then it should be on the word that’s higher in the tree. So if a modifier makes sense for all members of a group, so you’re unsure, then probably apply it to the root node of that group’s subtree.

@lmd

yes

yes, “while” is the conjunction.

It’s not the most standard case, but it’s a common case. You see it most often with “If X, then Y.” The conjunction there is the “if”. You can do it with other subordinating conjunctions, like “X because Y” is the most standard but “Because Y, X” is correct too.

Oh maybe you meant a different type of special case than I answered. It’s also a less common case in a second way. Yeah “misquote” is a verb with no stated subject. Search for “imperative sentence”.

1 Like

Is it something like this?: If you say Seeing is <not believing>, you are saying something along the lines that the subject here, Seeing, is this thing “not believing”. While if you say Seeing <is not> believing>, you’re saying that the subject, Seeing, is not this thing “believing”. I don’t know if this makes 100% sense, just sharing my thoughts on it.

From Grammarly:

Imperative sentences are how you communicate the things you need others around you to do.

When you make a request, offer advice, issue a command, or give an instruction, you use the imperative mood. Sentences that use the imperative mood are known as imperative sentences.

Typically, the subject of an imperative sentence is implied.

Hmm. “Close the door.” So when analyzing is there a need to add an implied word somewhere or is it fine without?

So:

While you’re having a discussion, never misquote anyone.

• While you are having a discussion, never misquote anyone.
  • While {<you> <are> <having a discussion>}, {<never misquote> <anyone>}

yes

you don’t need to add implied words but you can. if you don’t put an implied subject in the tree, and don’t put a “[no subject]” node, then you should probably put an “object” label on “door”, otherwise it’ll look like door is the subject.

Hmm. Is there something for me to still work on from the grammar article or should I go ahead and move onto reading the comma article you have?

Assuming you finished reading it, go ahead.

I did. I just finished reading the comma article. I think it all made sense to me. I don’t know what to do for practice or whether I should do any.

Try some grammar trees. Maybe from The Star Beast? Avoid dialog.

I watched this video:

I tree’d most of the sentences before seeing you do them in the video. I didn’t do the first one (so I could see how they were done) and I didn’t do the last one (I didn’t know how to tree it). So I did seven trees from that and got them all right. I did the color coding stuff but it was kind of annoying to do it in Mindnode (I had to do it one-by-one). Do you know of a way to easily color code in that program?

For The Star Beast I just looked for really easy sentences that I think I knew how to tree. I just did three so far. Here they are:

I didn’t have a set method of labeling them.

I did a bit harder one today. For semicolons, should I do something to show one was used in the tree? I just treated it as treeing two separate sentences.

“The latter was a normal state; creatures of Lummox’s breed were always ready for a little snack, even after a full meal.”

You can select multiple nodes at once then change the color. Hold down the mouse and drag a box to select multiple nodes. And/or command-click to add individual nodes to current selection. And/or command-drag-select to add a group to current selection. @LMD

This one? Do you know how to tree it now?

For

Lummox had obeyed.

“obeyed” cannot be an infinitive. An infinitive is always one specific form of a verb: the one that sounds intuitively correct with “to” in front. In general it’s the plain (unconjugated – no added ending) present tense form. Whether a word can be an infinitive or not can be checked in the dictionary and I don’t think infinitives ever end with “ed”. Like “walk” is the form that can be an infinitive; “walks”, “walked” and “walking” cannot be.

Does this make sense? If you’re not confident about this, you better look through some online resources about infinitives.

Also, can you figure out “obeyed” now?

PS In the future for tree images, please quote the sentence before the image.

In general I’d make a node for the semi-colon and treat it like a conjunction root node that joins the two clauses.

Don’t put quotation marks (") around text and also blockquote it, unless it actually had quotation makes in the original. You’ve added two types of quoting which makes it look like a quote of dialog or a quote of a quote.

The “even” part is tricky so I’m going to assign it for @lmd to try. @lmd what would you put as the parent and children for “even” here and why?

There’s an error somewhere else not related to “even”. Look around and see if you can find it @Eternity. Looks like you’re getting these mostly right.

Yes.

Yes.

Mmm. After searching around I’m confused between two options:
1.) had is a linking verb, obeyed is a participle, Lummox is the subject.
2.) had is a past participle, obeyed is the main verb, Lummox is the subject.

Kk

Ok.

~yeah, I know. I think I need to be more careful of double-checking stuff. That happened because the Apple books app automatically puts quotes around anything you copy. Double-checking, Kindle doesn’t do that. So I think I’m just not used to that and just pasted and went with it. Regardless I need to work on being careful with that kind of stuff. I wonder if there’s a way to turn that off?

Hmm. On the left side “a” should be modifying “state”, not “normal”.

Have you looked up any lists of linking verbs? Have you found “had” on any lists? Or did you find a definition of linking verb that you think “had” fits?

Are your two options based on thinking that a participle can’t be an object, therefore had can’t be an action verb?

yes!

I usually copy/paste quotes out of rtf or txt files, not from the Books or Kindle apps, because I don’t like extra stuff being added to my clipboard.

The software I usually use to convert books to other formats is https://calibre-ebook.com

2 Likes

I didn’t look up any lists initially, no. I just google if “have” is a linking verb and I got this, from here https://www.albert.io/blog/linking-verbs/#:~:text=Auxiliary%20verbs%20cannot%20exist%20in,is%20used%20in%20a%20sentence :

For example, the word have can be an auxiliary verb or a linking verb depending on how it is used in a sentence.

Looking up “had” I got this:

I take it auxiliary linking verbs are not the same as regular linking verbs. Also, while I don’t trust them, I do glance over the AI generated answers and it confused me:

yeah

You can put adjectives after linking verbs. One way to check if something is a linking verb is to consider simple example sentences with adjectives. For testing, you want to use a word that’s rarely or never used for another part of speech, like “frail”. If you can’t come up with a way to make a verb work with an adjective after, it’s not a linking verb.

Here are examples of the kind of test sentences to consider:

Joe is frail.

Joe seems frail.

Joe has frail.

Some linking verbs require specific types adjectives.

Joe smells frail. [doesn’t really make sense although it doesn’t intuitively strike me as grammatically wrong, just the content is weird. after “smells” you should have an adjective describing a smell, or maybe some sort of metaphor, but not just any adjective.]

Joe smells awful.

Joe has awful.

So, a short, simple version is that participles can be objects for a few verbs.

But also look at the chart “Active participle usage versus passive participle usage” at Participle - Wikipedia

The standard view is that participles are used to form certain tenses.

For trees, if take the words forming a tense (“main” verb + “auxiliary” verbs) and make them a single node, that will avoid some grammatical complexity and be adequate for doing philosophical analysis and having discussions. You can just learn to do that and move on if you want to. (And actually that way may be better for most discussions because the other people in the discussion will probably know less about grammar than you.)

If you put the words in separate tree nodes, the finite verb must be the clause root, not a non-finite verb.

You can find grammar teaching/help pages for specific tenses that tell you stuff like:

The formula for the past perfect tense looks like this:

Subject + had + past participle of the main verb

The so-called “main verb” is not grammatically main. Grammatically, the finite verb is main/primary. Conceptually, it kinda depends what you mean, like “main” in what sense, but calling the participle conceptually-main is reasonable.

The mainstream view pays inadequate attention to finite vs. non-finite verbs and has some problems. What they teach is mostly usable for understanding the sentences but it’s more based on special cases (one per tense) and it’s problematic to tree it with one node per word using their concepts. But it’s also useful to understand this stuff in terms of tenses and know what each tense means (native speakers tend to already intuitively know what all the tenses mean).

@LMD