Eternity Async Tutoring

Initially had no clue how to approach it, so I gave myself 10 minutes to see if I could research and get an idea. I used this video for the math one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPIvOce_4w. The math one seemed similar to the trees I did when I learned how to do prime factorization. I just didn’t know how to put in the operations such as multiplication and addition in a tree diagram. For the sentence I don’t really have a good idea. I just glanced at the ones LMD did and see if I could gist of what was going on.

~12 minutes

Ok how about a tree with video games organized by genre.

I organized my most played games on steam and some random games I just know that existed like Pokemon. I used wikipedia to get an idea for the genres and sub-genres.

Yeah. Can you do a tree of animals

That’s good. Do foods next.

Retested on a 1-minute typing test and got 94wpm with 99% accuracy.

Great. Try practicing slower but going for 100% accuracy.

Looks good. Next time your image is too large to show up well as one pic, export to pdf.

Next let’s try trees where you aim for completeness: the parts you break something into cover everything. This can be exact but is often just approximate.

Birds, fish and canine is not approximately complete (and I don’t think you were trying to be complete). There’s nothing wrong with that, but learning to do more complete parts is useful sometimes, as is the ability to recognize what’s complete or not.

Try doing an animal tree with more complete sub-parts.

Animals (2).pdf (17.6 KB)

There are two in there. I only aimed to get one branch to completeness to see if I’m understanding this correctly.

It’s very hard to get completeness by adding lots of things. That tends to only work with small categories, like people say there are only around 10 species of bear, so you could list them all.

Instead, you want to think of a way of dividing up the whole thing into 2-5 parts. For example, animals could be done as big, medium, small and tiny. The parts should be themed, like here the theme is size. Using a theme lets you cover the whole theme (like from big to little). If you mix themes, you won’t get completeness. Another theme is what the animal eats. But if you used big animals and herbivores as separate categories on the same level of the tree, it wouldn’t work well.

1 Like

Animals (3).pdf (17.5 KB)

I spent around one hour doing this. That includes time spent on trying to better understand what was meant by completeness and looking at some other trees.

That’s good! There are multiple reasonable levels of organization. Let’s try a small one before another big one.

Can you make a tree showing how trees handle grouping? Include a “group A” node somewhere and include a “group B” that’s in group A.

How about a tree about something related to law or lawyers (you pick) with high completeness.

Civil Litigation.pdf (20.8 KB)

~1 hour, initially it was part of a more ambitious tree about the topics covered in a civil procedure legal class.

Yeah, I realized. I confused completeness with details. My thought process at the time was more complete means more detail.

Make 3 more trees in under 10 minutes each.

I set a timer for 10 minutes for each one and stopped when the timer went off.