Fav Quotes

Just discovered a mic drop one. Wanted to share.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think.

Socrates

Edit: I attributed this quote to Socrates. This was a mistake. I don’t have any valid source which attributes this quote to Socrates.

A goodreads page (user created, I think, which is even worse) with no source given is not a source for a quote.

If you try to google the quote you will immediately discover e.g.:

I didn’t even have to put “source” in my search to get that on the first page. The first answer begins:

That’s probably not a quote.

As explained by both Critical Rationalism and Objectivism, you can’t make people think.

1 Like

how can I find out if a goodreads page is user created?

Question: I guess you are telling me that citing this and attributing it to Socrates is incorrect. Am I right?

when I first read your reply I though you were ganging up on me for making a mistake. It doesn’t look like that to me now.

1 Like

Can you share some Critical Rationalism quotes which say this? Some mic drop ones.

A source would be what book it’s in. You have no source. You linked a page which doesn’t even try to make any claim about what book it comes from. Based on a cursory glance, the quote is likely fabricated.

I think so too. The phrasing is of modern times.

I didn’t even consider that goodreads might have user created pages or misattributed quotes. I though all quotes were correct there.

Edit: spelling mistake. I meant to write thought not though.

I still like the quote very much. I don’t know why. Maybe because very concise and to the point. The reader already needs to know enough Critical Rationalism ideas to get the point.

verbatim quotes of Socrates would need to be translated, so the wording might not tell us much compared to like a middle-english quote. e.g., this is a pretty famous thing attributed to socrates that has modern grammar:

The unexamined life is not worth living
ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

(I might not have the ancient greek right there, but it’s illustrative enough I think)

True. I was actually thinking that the quote will look fancier and intellectual because that’s how intellectual people write.