Grammar exercises 2

Project Summary

I have done the second set of exercises in Elliot’s grammar article.

Goal

What’s your goal? Why do you have that goal? How will you judge success and failure? What bigger picture goals or values are you pursuing? How is this relevant to CF?

Goal: The goal of this project is to finish the second set of exercises from Elliot’s grammar article.
Metrics: The relevant metric is whether I get the sentences done correctly or not.
Broader goal: I’d like to get better at grammar.
Values: The project has value for doing better philosophy.
CF relevance: Better understanding of grammar will help me discuss philosophy better.

Plan

What’s your plan? How big is the project? What resources do you expect it to require and what have you allocated for it? How confident are you about succeeding? What sort of errors or error rate do you expect and how will you deal with that? Got any error correction mechanisms? What are the risks of not finishing the project or failing and do you have any plan to address those risks?

Plan: Make a grammar tree for each sentence and ask for feedback on it.
Project size: Not very large, there are nine sentences in the first set of exercises.
Resource budget: The time to read and tree the sentences.
Asks: It would be good if I could get feedback, but I don’t expect it.
Offers: None.
Independence: I’ve done the sentences and if nobody comments that’ll be okay.
Confidence: I have done the sentences and I think I got them right.
Follow through: If I’m wrong then I’ll revise my understanding and use it for future grammar exercises.

Other People

What help are you asking from others? What value are you offering to others? Will you complete the project independently if no one else participates? Why are you sharing this with others? What sort of criticism do you want?

I’d like criticism of any mistakes I make on the grammar of the sentences but if nobody comments that’s okay. I will post these sentences in the grammar exercises section of my website so other people can learn from them once I am satisfied that they’re okay.

Context

What’s the context? What’s your relevant background and track record? Why are you prioritizing this over alternative projects? Why are you doing it right now? What have you already done?

Context: I’ve made mistakes on grammar before by doing stuff that was too complicated and involved too many problems, but I managed to do the previous set of exercises.
Background: I’ve made mistakes on grammar before by doing stuff that was too complicated and involved too many problems.
Track Record: I’ve tried to do grammar trees before and got them wrong.
Priorities: Successfully doing some grammar trees for sentences.
Progress: I’ve done the sentences and I think I got them right.
Problems: I didn’t understand how to do prepositions in grammar trees before.

Sentence 1: I work hard and I play hard.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex1

Sentence 2: If universities are full of uncurious professors, don’t attend one.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-2

Sentence 3: If universities are full of uncurious professors, don’t attend one.

Grammar tree:

Sentence 4: I write because I like good ideas.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-4

Sentence 5: The bully hit my buddy and me pretty hard.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-5

Sentence 6: I seriously think that Ayn Rand was wise.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-6

Sentence 7: Don’t chew quickly while your mouth is open.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-7

Sentence 8: My daughter likes big dogs, but my son likes adorable cats.

Grammar tree:
grammar-ex-8

Sentence 9: If universities are full of uncurious professors, don’t attend one.

Grammar tree:

Sentence 10: After you throw a small, red ball, while you sing, you should stamp your feet loudly, and you should clap your hands energetically, if it’s still daytime.

Grammar tree: