I’m thinking about working on a plugin for improving anonymous account stuff. I think I read somewhere (on the discourse meta) that doing multiple anon accounts would be hard with the current architecture (or maybe just that it wasn’t going to be something that the devs cared to implement). With that in mind, I think there could be some good features that are easy to code if there’s interest:
- anonymous account names: don’t label accounts sequentially. Instead append something random. If there’s somewhere on the forum that shows when anonymous accounts were created, that should be hidden.
- anonymous account timeouts: instead of having a single timeout for when new anonymous accounts should be created, give users a button to generate a new anon account (probably under a new section in user settings and hidden for ppl who can’t enter anonymous mode).
Potentially harder features:
- Switch anon accounts: (1) track which anon accounts have belonged to which ppl (I think this happens already). (2) I suspect that any user that has entered anon-mode before will have exactly 1 anon account associated with them. An easy way to implement switching anon accounts would be to let users select an anon account from (1) and set (2) with the appropriate anon user_id.
If ppl think these sort of features would be useful I might start work on a plugin.
- Yes, these features would be good
- I don’t care
- No, anon accounts are fine