JustinCEO Topic

Continuing discussion from Silent Spring - #19 by alanforr

Some more context around your quote from the book:

EDIT: THE BELOW QUOTE APPEARS TO BE A MISQUOTE. I AM LEAVING IT AS IS SO THE CONTEXT OF CRITICISM I RECEIVED BELOW IS CLEAR, BUT I AM PUTTING THIS WARNING UP SO AS NOT TO SPREAD A MISQUOTE.

An individual may have many different exposures to the same chemical. Arsenic is an example. It exists in the environment of every individual in many different guises: as an air pollutant, a contaminant of water, a pesticide residue on food, in medicines, cosmetics, wood preservatives, or as a coloring agent in paints and inks. It is quite possible that no one of these exposures alone would be sufficient to precipitate malignancy—yet any single supposedly ‘safe dose’ may be enough to tip the scales that are already loaded with other ‘safe doses’. Or again the harm may be done by two or more different carcinogens acting together, so that there is a summation of their effects. The individual exposed to DDT, for example, is almost certain to be exposed to other liver-damaging hydrocarbons, which are so widely used as solvents, paint removers, degreasing agents, dry-cleaning fluids, and anesthetics. What then can be a ‘safe dose’ of DDT?

I think Carson is expressing skepticism that there can be a safe dose of DDT in full context of the likely other potential things one is exposed to. I think maybe some people are reading her claim as a claim that there is no safe dose of DDT inherently - that even the tiniest possible amount of DDT is unsafe to humans, without considering the context of other things to which they are exposed. I think her language about “tip the scales” is key to interpreting her: she’s saying that DDT could push you above a critical threshold. It would have been clearer if she’d asked “What then can be a ‘safe dose’ of DDT [in this context]?”, but I think that’s what she was going for.