Latest coronavirus developments?

I think of children and high risk people (and, by extension, their household and close contacts) differently.

My understanding is that unvaccinated children are at comparable or lower risk to vaccinated adults with regard to COVID hospitalization and death. I haven’t looked at any specific studies on this. But it’s been reported from the beginning of the pandemic that children are at orders of magnitude lower risk for serious complications or death from COVID compared to adults, and I haven’t seen anyone contradicting that narrative with anything other than anecdotes. Yes, children can get very sick and can die, but according to everything I have heard that’s very rare and usually the result of an underlying condition that puts them in the high risk category I’ll discuss below. So currently, I’m not considering children to be at higher risk or needing protection even though they’re unvaccinated. But if I should be, I’d be interested in the argument for that.

High risk people were a thing long before COVID. What I mean is, there have always been people who were immunocompromised for various reasons, and/or old, frail, etc. And until we figure out how to solve those underlying problems (which we definitely should try to do!), there will continue to be such people. For most of the people with a high risk condition, I don’t think COVID is significantly larger or different kind of risk from other communicable pathogens like colds, flu, pneumonia, tuberculosis, hepatitis, etc. If your immune system isn’t working well, you have to worry about everything. Or not, and accept a much higher risk of serious disease or death from such pathogens - which is what I think most of them do, as they have always done.

Of course most of the people at high risk have household members and other people who want to see them. Again, that’s always been true and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

So the way I’m thinking about high risk people is: Suppose it is the case that we all ought to wear masks indoors in public right now to protect high risk people - either directly or indirectly via their household members and contacts. I don’t see where that ever ends. It implies we should have been wearing masks to protect such people before COVID, we just didn’t think about it correctly. I don’t think COVID is ever going away completely, but even if it did there would still be a plethora of other things we spread that are really unlikely to kill a healthy person but much more deadly to a high risk person. So it implies we should continue to do so indefinitely.

If there is some objectively reasonable stopping condition for mask wearing with regard to protecting high risk people, I’m unaware of it. I’d be interested in hearing what it is.

I am also open to the idea that we should have been wearing masks to protect high risk people all along, and we should continue to do so indefinitely. I don’t know details, but I understand the practice of mask wearing was already kinda common in some parts of Asia long before COVID. I find it facially plausible that masks forever is the right thing to do.

But if masks forever is the right answer, I want to fully understand the reasoning behind that before jumping on board with it. For now I’m deferring to the pre-existing western tradition of not wearing masks to protect high-risk people except in settings (like medical) where such people reasonably need and are expected or known to be, and leaving intra-household and close contact protection a matter for the affected individuals to handle as they see fit.

Then we get to hospital-protective masking considerations:

Big picture, it needs to be said that widespread and ongoing hospital/medical capacity problems are a result of a century of government interference in health care. Not COVID, not Delta, not anti-vaxxers, and not anti-maskers. Initially yes, COVID was new and unexpected and it was reasonable to have some capacity problems in dealing with it. But left alone, people are remarkable at scaling up supply to meet demand. Even if it’s demand for dumb stuff that most people wouldn’t demand if they were smarter. Demand is demand. We’ve had over a year now. The government just doesn’t leave people alone, especially in regard to health care, and deserves way more of the blame than they get for hospital overload when it occurs.

With that said, I do recognize that we are where we are, with the health system we have, and it working as best it can is better than it not working as well because it’s overloaded.

I pay attention to hospital capacity in my area. Until recently, it didn’t seem like the hospitals in my area were overloaded or at much risk for becoming that way since early this spring. I think things have changed recently and now it is a substantial and relevant risk again.

One problem with making a clear assessment is there are multiple possible constraints:

• Beds
  • ICU Beds
  • Ventilators and other specialized equipment
  • Appropriately trained staff for any of the above
  • Supplies like oxygen, masks/PPE, or medications

Another problem is the matter of hospital capacity has been super politicized. Most people making comments about it aren’t just trying to give accurate information; they have an agenda they’re pushing. People will most often quote the status of one constraint at one hospital to make whatever case they’re trying to make. Ex:
Right-Winger: There is no hospital overload. We spoke to a nurse at Hospital A and she confirmed their COVID ward is nearly empty (meaning - they have plenty of open beds in the non-ICU COVID area. But you later hear another nurse in that same hospital saying the ICU was 97% full & if 2 people arrived in dire need of ICU at the same time they’d have to airlift one of them to another hospital).
Left-Winger: The situation is dire! Administrators at Hospital B say they have less than 3 days of oxygen left at current production and consumption levels, and are asking people to conserve water so some of the oxygen used in treating water can be diverted to hospitals. (except, you then find out Hospitals A, C, and E have plenty of oxygen and will probably ship some to Hospital B if Hospital B were about to actually run out).

Then there’s stuff like:

I don’t think it’s from my area but something similar plausibly could be. It’s anecdotal and I don’t know the whole situation. Of course it could actually be that the hospital in question is indeed overloaded with COVID patients. But hospitals were making up bullshit reasons to send patients home long before COVID, and this could also just be a convenient bullshit reason. Sometimes they don’t think the patient will understand the actual medical reason. Sometimes they know the patient has no insurance and can’t pay. Sometimes the patient does have insurance and the insurance contract incentivizes minimizing time in hospital. Sometimes the patient (or in this case the patient’s guardian) causes problems when they’re at the hospital. Sometimes there are established policies and protocols with specific criteria that don’t make sense in a particular situation but the staff are told to follow the protocol anyway. Bottom line, I wouldn’t take such stories as strong evidence that the hospital involved is actually overloaded with COVID patients even though it could be.

And lately there’s a big issue in my area about mandating vaccines for hospital staff. Supposedly there’s mostly enough beds, space, and equipment and supplies but not enough staff to actually use a lot of it in the hospitals in my area. And supposedly lots more of the staff they have are out protesting and threatening to walk off the job permanently because now that it’s officially approved by the FDA, the hospitals are mandating the vaccine for all staff unless they have a medical or religious exemption. One source quoted the current vaccination rate among staff at a local hospital as 41%, which just astounds me if true. WTF? Are a bunch of hospital staff really anti-vaxxers, and is walking off the job because staff don’t want to get vaccinated a significant cause of or risk of hospital overload? Or is this really about something else like pay/benefits? Or maybe it’s just a right-wing fever dream based on a few isolated instances? I don’t actually know yet.

So…a few summary points:

• The issue of hospitals being full is complex and politicized. When masking for the purpose of preventing hospital overload there’s a real risk of having our behavior jerked around for political reasons - either way.
  • I don’t know/agree that full hospitals is currently a widespread/pervasive condition, but I also don’t know that it’s not. Given the ambiguity I think it’s a risk worth taking seriously.
  • Since I wrote my first post about not masking unless requested/required, from the best I can tell conditions in my area have changed substantially with regard to overload risk and hospital-protective masking makes more sense for me to do now.
  • Unlike protecting individuals (children, high risk people) I think the hospital capacity concern is mostly area specific - city, region, perhaps state for small states. I still don’t agree with a blanket statement like people should always mask indoors because of hospital capacity issues.
  • Whatever the current state of hospital capacity, I expect it to change a lot over time. Both up and down. It wouldn’t surprise me if, for example, Delta subsides over September and with it hospital capacity issues, such that hospital-protective masking stops making sense in my area by October. But then a new variant comes around, or people just start traveling & getting together in November/December such that it’s a reasonable concern again in the winter.

When it’s long term sustained demand, yes. Temporary demand surges (or what might be temporary) can be harder to meet in a cost-efficient way. I understand hospital beds to be this kind of problem – expensive to have a lot of extra capacity to deal with variance/surges, and difficult to be flexible with. I don’t know how much of that difficulty is due to the nature of the problem and how much is due to bad regulations and other bad cultural context.

Regardless, we live in this cultural context and it must be taken into account, even if we can imagine a better world.

I think hotels have a similar economic problem to hospital beds. If there’s a popular event in an area or a disaster that displaces lots of people from their homes, it’s possible for all hotel rooms in an area to be full for a few days or (rarely) weeks. But there aren’t widespread and ongoing hotel room shortage problems except in locations that tax and regulate hotels heavily or otherwise interfere with supply incentives or market pricing.

This doesn’t make sense to me.

Like, I think the data we have is that COVID does hospitalize & kill elderly & immunocompromised people at higher rates than cold and flus.

Your argument is actually the same argument that I have heard from the anti-vaxxers - covid is basically the same as the cold & flu, sure some people will have a bad time with it, but those same people could also have a bad time with the cold & flu also.

Do you think you are saying something different than that?

(BTW, I didn’t read the rest of your what you wrote yet - my impression so far in this conversation is that you aren’t really interested in getting criticism or changing your ideas. You have seemed more interested in defending your existing positions. So I am not putting much effort into pointing out all the things I see as errors. If you would actually like a more thorough discussion & criticisms, then I think unbounded is the better place for that anyway.)

I thought covid was like 10x worse than flu (even worse if hospitals are full).

Yes I think I’m saying something different, and it’s specifically about the post-vaccine world.

The data I think you’re referring to applies to the situation (as in 2020) when all immune systems were naive with regard to COVID but experienced with regard to cold & flu (by prior exposure and/or vaccination). In that situation, absolutely COVID does hospitalize & kill immunocompromised people (and everyone else!) at much higher rates than cold and flus.

I’m saying that post-vaccination, an immunocompromised person’s risk from COVID then becomes similar to cold & flu.

For easy math with ballpark numbers, say a particular immunocompromised person’s risk of dying from any communicable disease is 100X what a healthy person’s risk is from the same disease. Their risk of dying from flu if they catch it is 1%. But their risk of dying from COVID if they catch it in 2020 is 10% - so COVID is 10X as deadly.

In 2021 that immunocompromised person gets a COVID vaccine. The COVID vaccine reduces their risk of dying from COVID if they catch it by 90%. They’re still 100X more likely to die from COVID if they catch it than a healthy, vaccinated person is. But post- COVID vaccination, their risk of dying from COVID is similar to their risk of dying from flu - that is, 1%.

Another way of saying it: COVID Vaccines are far from useless on immunocompromised people. In fact, they seem to be about as useful or more useful than they are for healthy people. They change the game for immunocompromised people too. They render COVID no more dangerous than flu, just like they do for healthy people. It’s just that flu is still super dangerous for immunocompromised people!

Does that make sense?

I’m interested in making my ideas on this topic more explicit. Pre-vaccination I thought I had a better grasp of the right things to do than I do now. I am interested in changing my ideas where they’re wrong in major/important ways, or circumstances have changed like I described with the hospital-protective masking in my area.

I write posts I’d be happy to have written even if no one reads/responds to them. I’m also happy to read what people are interested in saying about them.

I think I’m intimidated by unbounded. I don’t think pointing out every error (even if people were interested in doing that) would be productive for me on this topic atm.

And because this topic is pretty current / political it didn’t seem like a good candidate for friendly.

Sources?

I formed the idea from reading several stories over time. But when I went looking specifically I found:

Also related, the news for especially elderly (over 80, which I’d guess has the most immunosenescent of any age group) is good in the context that their risk was super high before vaccination.

I think you have major, fundamental mistakes in your thinking about this issue, in multiple different ways. I am not going to point them all out though because that’s a lot of unpaid work for me that I don’t expect anyone to appreciate.

What do you think those sources say? Can you summarize in terms of relevant numbers?

Unbounded (the forum category) doesn’t mean pointing out every error, let alone that you should respond to every error. It’s about making progress without doing things to block progress or put boundaries on progress. If there are many (potential, claimed) errors, then a strategy should be discussed for how to proceed, rather than just ignoring strategy and doing something that won’t work well for a participant. Prioritizing and focusing are good things to discuss and do. Being overwhelmed is bad and avoidable. (If someone wants to write about many errors for their own reasons, without an expectation of a response, that’d be OK though atypical.)

OK. I think I prefer to pursue topics of mutual interest casually for now.

If there’s something else about this topic you are still interested in discussing, I’m still interested. If not that’s fine too. I’ll also continue to think about the issue and look for errors on my own or with others that are interested.

FWIW, I think deciding to write something or not here based on whether I expect others to appreciate it would usually be a mistake for me. I try to cultivate an attitude of write what I’m interested in and people can take it or leave it. Your situation might be significantly different so it’s hard for me to generalize.

@Lebowski I’m curious what your reaction to that is. Like, do you disagree and think it’s not really credible, or does it kinda worry you but you think other stuff is more important right now, or what? I’m not trying to start a whole thread on it in the coronavirus thread. I’m just curious. Cuz to me what @ingracke said seems like a claim that is worrisome. Like it’s not a trivial issue, and you’ve actually put some time/effort into thinking about it, and here’s a pretty smart person saying you’ve got a bunch of major errors.

I used (made up, ballpark) numbers in my example to illustrate how I was saying something different from the anti-vaxxers who say COVID is just like the flu. The idea was not about specific numbers and I think a non-numerical statement in the first source is closest to what I had in mind:

This real-world data shows for the first time that most people who are clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 still receive high levels of protection after 2 doses of vaccine.

In the context of the article, I think “clinically vulnerable to COVID-19” is functionally equivalent to what we have been discussing as high-risk people and immunocompromised people. I prefer the terms we’ve been using to the term in the article, since I consider everyone “clinically vulnerable to COVID-19” and under ordinary circumstances I’d assume that term merely means that it’s possible for them get sick from it.

It’s credible and it worries me. I don’t expect to make progress on it as a work project, among other reasons because I expect the errors go much deeper than simply being wrong about something like how protective masks are or how overloaded hospitals are.

This claim, above, is significantly different than your original claim that I asked for sources for, which was:

[COVID vaccines] seem to be about as useful or more useful [for immunocompromised people like the elderly] than they are for healthy people

Do you think you read and understood the numbers given in the sources you provided, and that you know whether or not they agree with or contradict this earlier claim?

Yes, but to a lower / more fragile standard than I’d guess you expect.

No.

One problem is that I don’t know how to compare an effectiveness percentage for one group with an effectiveness percentage for another group when the two groups have different baseline rates to begin with. My intuition is that the same effectiveness percentage in a higher baseline rate group = more benefit (more infections, hospitalizations, or deaths prevented per population), and that to some extent a higher baseline rate offsets a lower measured effectiveness percentage. But intuition is all it is.

Another problem is that I don’t know and the sources do not give the baseline rate differential for infection, hospitalization, and death in the high risk group vs. the healthy population for either COVID or other infections I referred to earlier like colds, flu, and pneumonia. My intuition is that the baseline rates in the high risk group are all very significantly higher, on the order of 10X - 100X. But that’s also just intuition.

Another problem is that the first source only gives numbers for effectiveness at infection prevention, and not numbers I also consider highly relevant like hospitalization prevention and death prevention. The first source only makes non-numeric but positive statements about those, and implies that the numbers for those don’t exist yet. The second source does make numerical statements about hospitalization and death, but refers only to a subset of the population in my claim.

Another problem is that I don’t think I’ve thought about and settled on a concrete way to translate a complex set of numeric values (like comparative infection risk, hospitalization risk, and death risk) into “useful”. I believe there are multiple ways to do so, and that even if I had comparative values for all three across the populations in my claim it’s possible that some ways of codifying “useful” would result in the sources agreeing with and some ways would result in the sources contradicting my claim.

I just thought of another way to say what I think my idea / claim is about.
Claim: The initial vaccine rollout prioritized vaccinating medical workers and people in the high-risk groups we’ve been talking about: the elderly & immunocompromised. I generally agreed at the time and still agree with that prioritization. I think it made sense for the high-risk group to be among the first eligible to get vaccinated.

At some levels of abstraction that is absolutely a different claim. It is literally different and different in that it makes its direct assertions about policy rather than usefulness. Different sources and numbers would be relevant to agreeing with it or contradicting it. But I wasn’t thinking about my idea at those levels of abstraction. Should I have been?

It’s not some kinda special or obscure issue, at some particular level of abstraction, that these two things are different:

1. How effective vaccines are for different groups. (You claimed similarly or more effective for immunocompromised people.)
  2. Which groups to prioritize giving vaccines to.

The vaccine is less effective for e.g. the elderly because vaccines rely on the immune system and the elderly have less effective immune systems. So your claim about (1) is factually wrong. You also gave a source that says claim (1) is false after being asked for a source for (1) being true.[1]

You wrote at least three other things, besides claim (1) itself, that indicated you meant claim (1) not claim (2).

1. German study shows high protection from COVID-19 in over 80s with Pfizer vaccine

COVID-19 vaccine showed a 95% effectiveness

Vaccine effectiveness after two doses in the elderly population was 68.3%.

So the article says it’s 95% effective for everyone (I think that’s including the elderly, so excluding them would raise the number), but only 68.3% effective for the elderly, which is much less effective.

In other words, in simple numbers, suppose that among unvaccinated people the elderly have 100x the relative risk from covid, compared to low risk people. Among vaccinated people, the elderly’s relative risk is higher, e.g. 634x. ↩︎

My claim was:

And I later explained some about some problems in translating effectiveness into “useful”. So I don’t understand why you translated my “useful” claim directly into a claim about effectiveness.

That said, I also think I am / have been kinda defensive, and don’t want to be. The sources I gave were not sources for my idea, and it was an error to link them in response to your request. I now think they’re merely compatible with my idea in some ways I consider important.

I think the effectiveness numbers are missing something important about the way the world actually works.

Assume the effectiveness numbers are correct as well as the 100X baseline risk differential. I think that means if you take 100,000 random people and 100,000 old people over some study period something like the following happens:
If none of them are vaccinated, 20 of the random group get infected with COVID and 2000 of the old people group get infected with COVID.
If they’re all vaccinated, 1 of the random group gets infected with COVID (95% effective reduction) and 634 of the old people group get infected with COVID (68.3% effective reduction).

I think just quoting the effectiveness percentage misses the fact that vaccination prevents only 19 infections in the random group whereas it prevents 1366 infections in the old group, just because so many more of the old people were getting infected in the first place.

Or, we could express it as a rate. Vaccines prevent infections at the rate of 19/100,000 for the general population, but a rate of 1366/100,000 in old people.

Is there a specific term for that, since it’s not “effective”? Do you think it’s a reasonable to consider that as part of “useful”?