Learn Dependency Grammar Trees [CF Video]

I unlisted the original video due to a color flickering issue.

Here are a sample of other people’s grammar videos.

Grammar 101 Introduction to Dependency Grammar - YouTube

Grammar 103 Verbs - YouTube

Greek Relative Clauses - YouTube

That’s from a classicist. Most dependency grammar material in YouTube searches is oriented towards computer parsing of sentences (which IME tends not to put enough effort into trying to explain/teach grammar itself). Like:

Lecture 6: Dependency Parsing - YouTube

Constituency grammar was much more popular until people started trying to write code. When writing software that actually works, instead of just talking and theorizing, they started figuring out that dependency grammar is better so it’s gained popularity recently. Slide from the video:

Note in this slide that the conjunction and prepositions are both handled differently than I would do it (the verb(s) too). There are disagreements among experts about how to do it.

Week 5.3 Syntax III: Constituency and Dependency - YouTube

SUBJECTS, PREDICATES, AND TREE DIAGRAMS - ENGLISH GRAMMAR - YouTube

[Syntax] Constituents - YouTube

i found a guy doing constituency grammar tree practice

Been watching several people. They make mistakes sometimes but it’s usually not too bad. Example error:

(that’s my dictionary in the screenshot, not part of the video)

“unfortunate” is an adjective complement for “is”, not an adverb. This seems standard/common/intuitive to me (linking verbs can link to a noun or adjective, and also they need to link to something, though some of them have a non-linking definition for the same word, but those are uncommon). Maybe he just doesn’t know the word “unfortunate” well enough to know it’s part of speech offhand and didn’t look it up. it wasn’t instantly obvious to me what part of speech “unfortunate” is – i got suspicious because i expected “is” to have a complement, that’s what my intuition noticed first.

besides looking it up, I could figure it out pretty quickly using example sentences. just try putting it in different roles and see which sound right or wrong. e.g. “the unfortunate event really sucked.” sounds right and has “unfortunate” in a clear adjective role modifying “event”. similarly “i met an unfortunate person” is another adjective use. but “i unfortunate ran to the store” sounds wrong because i tried to put it in an an adverb slot. the adverb version is “unfortunately” (which fits the common pattern of “ly” endings for adverbs). “i met some unfortunates” is ok though a bit uncommon – that’s a noun usage.

another error i saw, which was much worse, was someone else saying that adverbs only modify verbs and you can remember that because the word “verb” is contained in the word “adverb”. despite his incompetence, he got far more views than any of my videos, and some very positive/friendly replies in comments, which probably means something important (feel free to comment with what you think it means).

The videos I’ve found tend to do sentences that are a bit repetitive for my taste but that may be good for most viewers. I want to find them handling some coordinating and subordinating clause-conjunctions but haven’t yet. I have found them handling some complementizers/subordinators (some uses of “that”, some stuff called “relative X” like “relative pronoun)”. I also found some with “and” to join phrases.

Practice grammar problems and solutions by Max:

https://xertrov.github.io/fi/ex-parsing/index/

Justin’s grammar study/notes/practice (not a lot of trees):