Max Learning Objectivism (Spoilers for AS & FH)

I’ve been thinking about this frequently but am finding it hard. I think that’s probably due to a lack of structured practice. (Both not doing any and failing to allocate time to it.)

‘Hard’ is a cop-out word: I mean that I would need to change things (how I structure my time and what I prioritize) and that I’m not changing those things.
If I did implement structured practice – I have a plan wrt refreshing grammar, at least – then I could post stuff easily (copy paste or link to a new page on the old max-learning-fi site).

I am practicing where it’s low friction – like with work stuff.
BTW, often I find I save time (or there’s only negligible overhead) using CF techniques; that’s a major reason I consider it ‘low friction’ – practicing them is often free or profitable. (Is there anything with less friction than what is profitable?)
e.g., yesterday I solved a major problem I’d had with a software implementation at work. Mostly using: idea trees, brainstorming non-suppression, planning out breadth first exploration + noticing errors early and many little yes/no evaluations as I went, and goldratt’s inherent simplicity (probably more CF stuff, too). Basically stepping back and going at the problem from CF principles, including breaking it down, notes as I went, exploratory writing, etc.

Note: I guess that this type of practice, while convenient, is mb dangerous: there’s a lack of feedback outside colleagues; and there’s a lack of breadth without criticism, like I could over-specialize in on some topic/idea without realizing wider contradictions or criticisms with more reach (those particularly are powerful but might not be obvious).

The problem, ofc, is that work stuff isn’t very easy to share – not ideal. That’s one reason I’ve been focusing a bit on improving my self-error-spidey-sense feeling (à la Judging and Fixing Your Own Errors [CF Article]). (This is something I need to stay conscious of, which I haven’t been doing as much lately)

I’m not sure I want to add more atm, but practice and posting it is something I’m actively thinking about.

I want to add a little testimonial: I find CF stuff incredibly useful day-to-day. I’m far more capable with what I’ve learned than I was without it. Literally nothing significant in my life is untouched b/c of it, and I don’t think I’m worse off in any way that I value.
(I still feel this even knowing that I’m not making as much progress as I could – I don’t think that should lesson my appreciation for all the good it has done me.)

1 Like