Project - Learn CF + Note Down any Problems with Learning CF

It sounds like you’re not clear what happened. If you changed your mind about writing things a certain way due to arguments, I’m guessing you would remember the arguments (at least some, in a high level summary kind of way). So if you don’t remember such arguments, then it seems like you were suppressing.

I can think of a couple of other people who might be interested btw.

In my experience people aren’t actually that interested in doing learning activities. I have tried giving people activities before, and they generally will not do them. And I know Elliot has recommended activities, and for the most part people don’t engage with them.

I think that people use wanting a group as an excuse. They might also be partly fooled – they have noticed that they can get things done in school, and they think the thing that helped was having a group. But I think the thing that really helped the most is that school isn’t actually that hard for them. They did the parts of school that they found easy and could follow in a fairly mindless way. If you take something that is actually difficult for them, that makes them feel dumb, etc, then the group doesn’t really help them.

Also I think that actually facilitating a study group is difficult in general. It is its own skill. You need to know both how to study something successfully and how to facilitate a group of people. So if you don’t already know how to study something on your own, facilitating a study group isn’t going to be an easier task.

You’re giving him false hope.

You’re the veteran who could have started a study group at any time in the last decade. You didn’t and now you’re trying to get a newbie to take the reins and do the work. That makes no sense.

You just want a study group to benefit yourself, but you won’t take responsibility for making it happen. You want someone else in the group to make it work for you, somehow.

That’s the point of a study group in general: each person doesn’t take responsibility for his own learning and hopes other people make it work somehow. They are each hoping someone else will figure out how to do some leading and teaching. And will they thank that person? Nah. They will make it much harder for him. They will condescend to him, lecture him, debate him to derail what he’s saying, say he’s just a peer and his opinions are no better than anyone else’s, etc.

Study groups are basically a bad idea because the point is to abdicate individual responsibility. You have to do your own learning.

People need a plan to drive their own learning forward, not to find ways to rely on others and be able to fail and blame others.

Learn how to learn something yourself, alone. Start there. Interacting with other people is hard to do right. You need to be a functional person before interacting with others much. You need to be able to deal with one person – yourself – before scaling that up to deal with others. People skip getting that right and make messes of their whole lives. Some people never live alone and, worse, couldn’t – they’d hate it and don’t know how to spend much time by themselves. (Other people play video games alone, or with other people online, or watch TV, or listen to music, or whatever, and still have no idea how to be alone with their own thoughts without distractions.)

Before you know how to deal with others, you should have limited interactions (like playdates) and get some help from trusted advisors – e.g. parents, teachers, experts, mentors, tutors. A study group is a bunch of people who don’t know how to learn, and don’t know the answers, with no one there to help or correct them. People need to start primarily by learning what society already knows, which you get from older people not peers. Many older people are oppressive and tyrannical when in that role, but that isn’t an inherent flaw in the role itself. One of the things people sometimes do with study groups is try to get some kinda mentor or teacher in the group without acknowledging what they are, without giving them credit or thanks, etc. More broadly, people seeking help online often want customized bits of mentoring, without admitting what they want, without paying for it, without offering some bargain that makes sense, and then they’re super flakey about it. Parents help because it’s their kid. Relatives help for similar reasons. Teachers are paid. Tutors are paid. Mentors get respect, recognition, social networking, to influence the next generation, and some possibility of concrete benefits – e.g. if some of the people you mentor get high positions in companies they can get you a paid position on a board of advisors. And there’s an actual deal to how these things work where the student puts in significant effort over time or things fall apart. Wasting the help doesn’t work well for anyone. Not acknowledging what’s going on helps enable wasting it without anyone knowing what happened or why. Anyway you have to either be independent or ask for help and offer something in return – pay, take on some responsibility and be exceptional, be blood relatives, something. If you’re unable to think and learn independently, you should know it, face it, take it seriously, and try to organize your life around dealing with it ASAP.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

When I was doing some Simply Scheme stuff, I found some value in looking at @AnneB’s work and using it as inspiration for my own. But we weren’t actually working as a group. She had done some stuff on her own initiative, and then I did some on my own initiative, and there were public records of both. So like, the publicly available records of thoughts related to a learning project was useful, and being able to talk to the person who made those records was useful, but there wasn’t a group dynamic that was useful. And like, if we had been doing some sort of Simply Scheme study group at the same time - like, assuming that could have even been made to work with schedules and what not - i guess I don’t have a reason why that would have worked better than what we actually wound up doing (working on own schedules/initiative and communicating about it).

That makes sense.

Yeah that sounds like a reasonable criticism.

So study groups are kind of for learning what committees are for decision making?

Some. Not all. Some are kinda like a defense mechanism against school. That’s not about learning much either.

Just read all the responses, thank you all for writing them. Will write a quick update before I start replying to responses individually with quotes. I have some time to spend on this as New World’s servers are in maintenance for the next ~3 hours or maybe less. I have not been tracking my timesheets on paper well at all, and more like roughly noting to myself what I’ve been prioritizing in practice and just how extreme my priorities have been pushed towards New World. I’ve had that idea of being willing to try less hard rather than just give up stuck in my head but it still feels bad to lower my standards so much by e.g. just summarizing some priorities instead of having a more detailed timesheet I maintained at least once or twice per day. I think I can be much more biased if I’m just going off my rough memory instead of something I updated on paper in realtime. Once I stopped updating the timesheet, it got harder and harder to update it because I felt like more and more work was piling up, so I began to avoid looking at the timesheet template or going back to that file in google sheets.

My priorities since about last Tuesday (Sept 28, 2021) have revolved around New World to an extreme. I’ve noticed I’ve even kind of naturally shifted my sleep schedule to e.g. guarantee that I wake up early morning, around 1-3 AM PDT when the server queues for the east coast servers were usually nonexistent. By now the queue problems have been massively reduced by Amazon, but I’ve also gotten used to e.g. hanging out with the other people in the Upper Echelon discord who play around that time in the morning, so might continue to a similar schedule for a while. I also had the thought: when I tried to sleep at 8pm and wake up at 5 am and do philosophy in the morning, I struggled with it, but it very easily and naturally happened with New World, which indicates something about my real priorities and preferences.

My approx daily routine has been like:

Sleep at 8 to 10 pm, wake up at 1 to 3 am, Play New World until training/work starts at 8 am, and then do some low intensity stuff in New World that can be multitasked, like afk logging trees or other stuff while doing training/work on my laptop on the same desk as my desktop. On days where I did not have work I basically just played New World with very few breaks or distractions, sometimes for 12-14+ hours straight, and usually the amount of total time I spent on the game has been 18-20 hours per day, especially when queue times were large and I wanted to stay logged in throughout the day since if I got logged out, it would take me 6+ hours to get back into the game. This meant that I had to do some in game action at least once every 25 minutes to not get kicked by the AFK system. Most of this is outdated now that Amazon has taken some steps to reduce queues and even during peak hours yesterday queues did not exceed 1-2 hours.

I’m sharing this stuff primarily so that you guys can see how extreme my priorities seem to be towards this one thing that I’m focused on. I have not really ever focused on a game this hard and consistently for as long (a week so far). I have done it for shorter stretches but I tend to burn out quite fast. At first I was focused on levelling ASAP because I wanted to catch up and play with the highest level players in our group, including the Upper Echelon Youtuber. But I quickly realized I was not as efficient as them and was not going to catch up since I was only able to join on their server on day #2 of the game’s release. I’ll only be their level once they’re level 60 (max level) and I eventually hit max level too. In the first two days I gained a lot of levels, but after that I started to slow down and I found other things that interested me over doing efficient levelling. I think that’s a good thing because if I kept trying to push myself the way I was with levelling, I would have burnt out eventually and maybe even quit the game, which I know is not the level of unsustainability they want anyone to feel pressured to follow just to keep up or stay in the company or w/e.

I think part of why I am spending so much time on the game is because I’m surrounded by people in the company/guild who are dedicated similar levels of time and focus to their goals in the game, and I’ve never really been part of such a large group of hardcore players. I feel like taking things as seriously as them or I don’t really deserve to be part of the group. I know if I told them that, they’d tell me I shouldn’t feel that way and don’t need to pressure myself to belong. That idea is slowly changing as I spend lots of time in their discord and chat with people a bunch while playing. It’s hard to describe what I like about the culture, but it feels like I can really be myself and don’t have to change too much to fit in. I talk a lot, and ramble on about stuff I like, and people don’t tell me to shut up. They respond with their own thoughts and disagree and share their own ideas, but there’s this culture of like: each person can do what they like, and the guild or others in the community won’t pressure them to change themselves as long as what they are doing is not hurting others. If others don’t like something, they can speak up about it or just move to a different discord channel to not hear about it etc.

I think I can basically act in FI the same way I’ve been acting in the UE discord/community and nothing really bad will happen. I think I might get criticized or judged but also the FI culture seems to understand that wherever I’m at is where I’m at, and it’s only if I choose to stay stuck and not make incremental improvements that I’m messing up consistently. I think most or maybe all of the pressure I feel from the FI culture is me self-pressuring myself based on my interpretation of what FI wants. re: the lol example, I vaguely remember some example in discord of someone (maybe curi, but not sure) criticizing the word “lol” or saying how people use it in sentences but if asked why they used it or what it meant in some specific sentence, they usually cannot explain or defend their use of it. That had some kind of impact on me where I thought to myself that it made sense, but probably I changed myself without fully understanding it and I was being rationalistic instead of realizing that using the word fulfills some goals for me and i have to change naturally by growing out of it and replacing it with other words or ideas that fulfill the same goals for me. I didn’t make that change sustainably or properly so I think I ended up resenting the change that happened in me, and that coupled with other changes led me to feel like I was messing something up. I also tended to blame myself for most things rather than think it was an FI issue just because I viewed it as important to take responsibility, and I kinda had/have this self-esteem problem where FI seemed to be doing so many things really well and at a level way above anything I had seen anywhere else, that if there were problems I automatically assumed they were my fault and not FI’s. I think this was unhealthy because it meant that I didn’t do problem solving or bring up the issues because I was afraid it would look like I was either attacking FI or that I just didn’t get it and wasn’t a good fit for the FI culture. It was a bunch of trying to fit in to what I assumed was FI, instead of just realizing that FI is probly very flexible and can accomodate me if I’m just honest, myself, and curious and willing to learn without changing myself until I really, really, really, agree with the change I’m making, on every level (conscious, unconscious, emotional, whatever) and pay full attention while making the change to detect if there are problems i’m hitting.

Anyway, I stopped using lol in other communities too for a while, but it came back a few months after I left FI, where I started using lol in conversations with people on discord and stuff. So I don’t fully understand what happened but I know now that if I spot changes like that in myself, it’s important to bring it up or at least write it down for myself and maybe date it so that i can consciously observe the change over time and find ways to reduce the pressure im putting on myself to change (if that’s why I’m changing)

I went on a big tangent up there but I wanted to share: After the first two days playing New World with the UE people, our guild started running into some problems. Our highest level players hit a new tier of tool, Starmetal tools, and two high level people came to me and others and asked for all of our iron and steel ingots. The way the game works is that every low level resource is used in higher level resources. I resisted at first because I knew plenty of our low level players were just levelling into steel tools and we needed the steel to make them tools. I did not like that we had not planned for this starmetal progression and now we were forced to make a zero sum choice that would either deprive our high level players of the newest tools, or deprive our low level players of their next tool progression. I didn’t want to pick either option and I wanted a win/win to exist. So I pushed back a bit and asked some questions, voicing my concern that we would be neglecting the low level players and this wasn’t fair to them since we had a responsibility to helping them too and they were much more reliant on our help to make progress than higher level players who could be more self-sufficient (bit of a tangent, but this reminds me of some idea that it’s better to help the best people, who are already doing the most to propel themselves forward, rather than to help more helpless people. not sure if it applies here, but maybe i was wrong to think this way about who to help or who we as a company would benefit most from prioritizing. there are some other factors to consider but details can come later). the other issue was this weird contrast, where to wield Starmetal tools, people have to be core level ~37+, and to wield steel tools, people have to be core level ~20. Core xp is gained by doing all sorts of stuff, from questing, to gathering, to crafting, to even exploring new landmarks. But by and large, the majority of core xp comes from quests, and gathering is a very slow activity for gaining core xp, which makes it a low priority for those who are rushing core xp to get to the level cap of 60 ASAP. So the very people who wanted these great tools to speed up their gathering speed (doesn’t increase how much you gather unless you roll an enchantment on the tool for that) were also the people who were least likely to be cutting a bunch of trees or hitting a bunch of trees. On the other hand, of the people who were lower level who were still spending a similar amount of time on the game as the higher level players, they were actually the ones hitting lots of trees and rocks and harvesting all the herbs they saw etc. So they were putting their tools to much more use, AND many of them were contributing lots of the resources needed for these tools such as iron ore and wood to the guild since they were gathering so much and could not store it all in their personal storage sheds. Meanwhile the higher level players were not contributing many resources and were just gathering as they went along but primarily prioritizing rushing as many quests and dungeons as possible. Something felt off to me about our prioritzation, but I gave them 75% of my steel ingots and told them I’m keeping 25% for steel tools for our low level players. I did not like that I had to do that, and I did not like that we had to ration at all. I thought about it and realized that I needed to do some analysis to figure out exactly what opportunity cost we were paying and what the tradeoffs were.

Intuitively, I thought that for every starmetal tool I was making for a high level player, we were losing out 5-10 steel tools for low level players. I ended up discussing the issue with some others who also had similar concerns to me and were there in the discord voice chat when I gave a bunch of my steel and iron ingots to the high lvl ppl, and they didn’t like what had happened either. I ended up asking one of them who had been in the guild a bit longer about our guild’s goals and strategy, and how we could plan for the future to prevent something like this. Part of why I asked was I did not know the culture very well yet and I was worried that if I did what I wanted to do, people would not like it (I wanted to do a deep dive, write a project proposal, and make a spreadsheet to basically just start an internal logistics system to track resource gathering, consolidate the resources into the densest material possible to take up the least storage weight per gold value, and plan for specific future events that would be likely to put us into shortages if we were not prepared in advance). The guy I spoke with assured me that that’s not what the culture is like, and that UE does not rule with an iron fist or anything like (he does not rule at all) and it’s more like he facilitates people to achieve their own goals and tries to unearth and encourage win/wins between players and the company itself. He doesn’t believe in forcing or pressuring people to do things and wants individual liberty to be a core value, or so it seemed from what the person I spoke with told me. So I told him what I was thinking, he liked the idea and gave me some suggestions (e.g. keep it very simple and user-friendly if I’m gathering data from people, so that they can give us their info like what skills they are prioritizing, what extra resources they often have and want to give away to save storage space etc. without having to jump through hoops. Ideally it should be an intuitive input spreadsheet with simple fields and take like 2-3 minutes to fill out at most.)

First thing I did was write a long series of discord messages doing an analysis of material cost scalings in the game as we go up tiers (from flint to iron to steel to starmetal to orichalcum) and to write about the problem we ran into, what a potential solution might look like, and the system i wanted to try prototyping. I wanted anyone to feel free to contribute ideas and made it clear that the solution just needs to address the issues we’re facing, and it doesn’t matter what tools it integrates, whether it’s stuff like google sheets or trello or discord bots with specific roles and functions we design or customize etc. I wanted people to feel free to suggest anything they thought might help us get closer to a tentative solution and not feel bound by my initial ideas or boxed in by whatever is traditional

As soon as I was done the initial analysis of material cost scaling though I was surprised and my intuition had been way off. I was glad I had done it because it showed me that to craft 1 starmetal tool, we were sacrificing two steel tools. I’ve quoted the analysis below from the discord thread I made, which was titled UE Company Long-term Resource Allocation Planning Thread:

The Initial Situation: Transitioning from iron to steel was relatively easy for us, but now that we’re transitioning from Steel gathering tools to Starmetal gathering tools for our highest level players, the resource constraints and exponential curve inherent in New World’s crafting progression system is becoming more intuitively clear. Steel ingots already require 4 iron ingots each (which takes 4 iron ore each, so 16 iron ore for a single steel ingot) and higher tiers follow a similar exponential growth pattern, requiring more and more lower end resources. (More specific math in The Problem Section below)

As an example to illustrate the current problem we face, I’m using the recipes for pickaxes to compare apples to apples, and using iron ore as a base material for all of them to show the growth curve. For simplicity’s sake and to illustrate the problem more clearly, I will initially only focus on the metal cost of these tools, not the leather or wood costs, even though those also scale in a similar way:

**Illustrative Example of Crafting Progression Curve:
** An Iron Pickaxe takes 12 iron ingots to craft. This equates to 48 Iron Ore for a single Iron Pickaxe .
A Steel Pickaxe takes 13 steel ingots to craft. As mentioned in the previous section, a single steel ingot takes 4 iron ingots to craft, and each iron ingot takes 4 iron ore to craft. This means that a single Steel Pickaxe requires 208 Iron Ore to craft. I’m excluding refining bonuses for simplicity’s sake, but at higher refining levels we will get a bit more efficiency out of each iron ore. This means that a Steel Pickaxe requires 433.33% more Iron Ore than an Iron Pickaxe.
A Starmetal Pickaxe takes 14 Starmetal ingots to craft. A single starmetal ingot takes 2 steel ingots to craft, which means that 28 steel ingots go into a single pickaxe. This means that a single Starmetal Pickaxe requires 448 Iron Ore to craft. This means that a Starmetal Pickaxe requires 215.39% more Iron Ore than a Steel Pickaxe.
An Orichalcum Pickaxe takes 15 Orichalcum Ingots to craft. A single Orichalcum ingot takes 2 starmetal ingots to craft, which means that 30 starmetal ingots go into a single pickaxe. This means that a single Orichalcum Pickaxe requires 960 Iron Ore . This means that an Orichalcum Pickaxe requires 214.29% more Iron Ore than a Starmetal Ingots.
I didn’t know the progression curve accurately until I looked up the recipes and did this analysis, but this roughly means that resource costs double for each tier after Steel, i.e. a Starmetal pickaxe = 2 Steel Pickaxes, and an Orichalcum Pickaxe = 2 Starmetal Pickaxes, or 4 Steel Pickaxes.

This isn’t nearly as bad as I expected , and should actually be a manageable growth curve for us with some decent planning. I initially intuitively thought the growth curve was going to end up being much higher, especially at the Orichalcum tear, but I’m glad to prove my intuition wrong. My initial concern was that for every starmetal tool we make for a high level player, we may need to delay or temporarily deny multiple lower levelled players 5-10 steel tools. However, I see now that we will only be missing out on two steel tools, which is perfectly reasonable and only leads to a very temporary shortage/issue right now. I’m confident we’ll mine enough iron and gather enough wood and leather overall that we can equip both higher level and lower level players with Starmetal and Steel tools respectively, although we may need to ration tools a bit at first to start with (i.e. start by equipping specialists first, e.g. UE with a Starmetal Sickle since he does more harvesting and doesn’t do much mining, so he can do with a Steel Pick until Starmetal tools are abundant. Similarly, we can equip a high level player who does mostly logging with a Starmetal Axe and so on) and only upgrade them to full Starmetal tool sets later on, when Starmetal ingots are abundant and will not interfere with us equipping low/mid level gatherers with Steel tools. These rationing measures should be very short-term and temporary (Likely less than a day or two, and if we plan correctly for Orichalcum progression, we should require no rationing once we reach that point since we will have stockpiled in advance by learning from this current situation)

However, the problem we still face is that we have extremely dedicated gatherers such as @Ralphlac (sorry to pick on you as an example Ralph, you’re awesome) who are constantly asking: “What can I gather that will help the guild most?” I’m sure there are other gatherers who have not asked this question but would love to know the answer because they want to help but don’t know how. We are currently unable to give them a satisfying answer because we are not tracking the necessary parameters to know the answer ourselves . We also need to plan better in advance for Orichalcum so that we don’t run into any temporary shortages or rationing requirements at all, such that we’ve stockpiled exactly as much as we need to equip exactly the right people with exactly the right tools for our company goals and plans (with of course some extra slack room to account for our plans being inaccurate, which is always something we should prepare for)

I think what I ended up writing was too big and nobody read the whole thing (It’s like 3 more paragraphs like this but less math and got more rambly), but in voice chat I spoke about this analysis part multiple times when people had questions about the progresson curve, and when I linked this to people they liked the analysis. I felt good about that. I also felt good that I had done some actual math and corrected my intuition instead of blindly following it without looking deeper first.

Anyway, long story short, it was extremely fun to do this for some reason, and it only got more fun as I kept doing more of it. I just really liked making spreadsheets, gathering people’s info, trying to figure out goals and planning, asking people questions find out their individual goals and how we might do win/wins with the guild, and just trying to implement systems and plans to solve upcoming problems.

Right now, a few days later, players are just hitting level ~57-60 and can wield Orichalcum tools, and I have a spreadsheet where I put in the higher level player’s names, their levels, and i interviewed them to ask how soon they expect to hit level 58, and which tools they believe they will use most. So I have 150 Orichalcum ingots already stockpiled, and 110 of them are accounted for for tools that people want when they get to that level. We’re significantly better prepared for the incoming demand and we I have plenty of steel and starmetal ingots set aside so that we do not have to deny help to lower levelled players just because we planned poorly. I feel really proud of this and I want to do more things like it, and I am doing more things like it and it’s actually just more fun to do this stuff than play the game and level up and stuff. Idk why. On the one hand I feel a bit weird about it, like am I doing something wrong because it’s so odd, or like why am I turning into a spreadsheet simulator like Eve, but I never liked Eve really and for some reason this game is actually fun to make spreadsheets about for right now.

P.S. I had a sort of urge to somehow write this post in a Friendly category because I feel like I’m doing a lot of stuff wrong and much of it is to do with project priority and how im spending my time. But when I noticed that urge, i just sat with it for a bit without running from it or distracting myself, and after a few minutes I knew that I’d rather receive unbounded criticism from people here and find a way to handle it well or at least bring up problems with it, as opposed to just trying to insulate myself from some categories of criticism by posting in Friendly, which tbh is also kind of going to just make it harder for some people to be honest or write the reply they might have wanted to write if it was in unbounded. So I’m genuinely glad this is in unbounded, even though some responses might be difficult for me to take emotionally, I want to at least have the option to improve my resilience/thick-skin and capability to learn from what people honestly want to write about my situation rather than some socially normal, constricted version of stuff. This doesn’t mean I think I can take unbounded criticism without breaking, it just means I want to get better at approaching that point, even if I’ll never necessarily be great at taking all criticism without feeling bad or whatever. I think I can get to the point eventually where even if I react badly in the moment, I can learn introspection and skills to not make permanently bad choices based on reacting badly, and instead sit with it and come back with a less emotional and more measured response that’s win/win. To that end, some of the stoicism ideas J has been sharing may help me handle criticism better in the long run, but it’s not a priority or something to throw my current plans or schedule into disarray for of course.

Also I’ve updated the CF promises sheet and put stuff on hold temporarily. I was feeling some kind of guilt for having not done what I said, and not reminding myself daily or trying daily like i put in there, but i want to keep being honest about my failures and keep updating my standards. I don’t like lowering my standards but i’m realizing i need to start with high standards long term but keep my short-term standards more realistic to my current capabilities, so that i can improve on them incrementally and not keep falling short of too ambitious short-term standards and feeling bad everytime it happens.

I got distracted in the middle of this post and worked on some new world spreadsheet stuff and discussed things with guild members in discord for an hour or so, so the servers are hopefully about to come up in 9 minutes. I’ll do some specific replies whenever I feel like I don’t want to really be playing new world/working on the spreadsheet stuff for it. I’ve also put the startup stuff on hold temporarily and my cofounders were perfectly fine with that because they know I’m… weird, and they know that if I don’t throw myself completely into new world the way I want to, my psychological health will suffer and i won’t be very productive at the startup either. They don’t expect much from me during the week since I work fulltime anyway, so it’s just that i requested the last weekend off and they said OK, and then we had a longer discussion where my friend who’s leading us on the game design and long term company goals basically said that he understands what i’m like and has already planned and designed my contribution to the company to be very elastic based on my own personal needs/failings. Basically even if I get hit by a bus, the company will be fine, and they value my work but the project isn’t going to fail if I can’t do everything I said I would do. I like that somewhat, but I don’t fully know how to process it yet. Will write more about that convo eventually.

Talk to you guys again soon.

I wonder, could I learn goldratt stuff and project management and planning and all that by trying to learn bits and pieces of it to solve relevant problems we’re facing in new world and trying to design solutions for them? Like could I discuss New World problems here and post the solutions I’m trying to implement, and the reasoning behind them, and try to improve my philosophy skills that way? Idk if it would be efficient or effective for philosophy, but i know my motivation would certainly be higher because it’s in something i’m currently deeply interested in and prioritizing both consciously and unconsciously too

Also some of the marketing stuff I’ve been learning from seth godin and J. stark and chris do has been useful, things like thinking from the target customer’s perspective, designing systems or content for a specific target niche or person in mind, shaping the storytelling/perspective of things so that it resonates with whoever i’m trying to help etc.

Been a lot of fun to see real world applications for that stuff and be able to actually use it and see immediate positive feedback from people or results

New CF promises thing currently:

lemme know if i forgot to add anything or should anything to it as like priorities. I think i am pressuring myself less to try to do these all immediately or deliver results super quickly or something. I’m OK with getting distracted as long as i can come back to this and pick it up again, while noting down my real current priorities based on my actions and working on building self-awareness and honesty that way

Just skimmed but: Why don’t people farm/gather their own tools? It seems like you personally farmed extra stuff and also leveled and also are doing manager manager stuff. You’re putting in more time than others, not the same. It sounds like you’re being taken advantage of by people who want free stuff in the game and are likely to quit within a few weeks. You don’t appear to be designing guild (company) strategies or policies around the actual bottlenecks like retention over time (and tbh you’re probably going to burn out and quit yourself, just like over 80% of the current group will probably quit or dramatically reduce playtime within 3 months, and probably over half within a month). You’re handing out goodies to people who haven’t made any kind of long term commitment – low level players even! – and aren’t worrying about how to make sure they give you more than you give them. You should be getting wealth from the random UEG fans, not giving it to them. Make a profit off players who might quit, not a loss! Your generosity makes you seem low status, low value, and actually easier to treat badly. It’s actively harmful. And it fails to distinguish between the players who are putting in more effort and the leeches.

Life is now. If not now, why would later actually be better? The broad theme is later is worse and you don’t actually get unlimited chances in life. Every chance is precious. If you don’t see and treat it as precious now, you won’t later either.

1 Like

While that kind of thing is theoretically possible in general, you can’t do it. It’s too hard for you. Too advanced. You basically need to start with learning anything at all, not a more complex project.

Even if you had the skill for this kinda thing, it still wouldn’t work because of the time pressure. You’d need a self-paced project that lets you take breaks to read books or do learning between steps, not a fast paced project that takes lots of time and involves other people.

That’s a major red flag with the startup. You are not being treated like a real cofounder. (It’s problematic that you have equal stock but are not acting like a cofounder – i’d be worried they will ask for stock back and socially pressure you after a few things happen so that it seems fair and reasonable to you b/c you see for yourself that you let them down in some concrete ways. maybe they were willing to giving you equal stock b/c they are confident in being able to control or manipulate you). You are letting them down and are irresponsible. You’re flakey and they don’t like it but they don’t know how to prevent or fix it.

Similarly, you’re making it clear that you value new game launches more than learning philosophy. You’re a bad student to invest help in. And you’re saying basically that people who know you can easily predict stuff like that and you’ve been flakey long term about many things. A good student would be someone who sees learning philosophy kinda like you see the new game launch or social climbing opportunity – someone who was actually highly motivated. (It’s unclear if the thing driving you is the new game launch or chasing the minor internet celeb UEG.)

yeah. it’s good that you noticed that. but why are you here? you don’t seem to value it much. you’d rather be an entertained gamer than a rational or productive thinker.

there is presumably some reason you’re here. some kinda value, drive or motivation. what is it? can you build on it, expand it, amplify it, etc? can you understand that helps or hurts it, what is risky for you, etc? it’s like you have a spark of philosophy interest and need to tend it and make it into a bonfire or at least a fire. but you haven’t said what it is or actually planned around it at all.

My bold.

The whole post up to here is about changing to fit in, and even this paragraph begins with stuff about changing to fit in, feeling pressured to do things in order to deserve group membership, not telling them something, etc. And then, in full contradiction, the conclusion is about being yourself.

CF needs to haze new members and pressure them to spend 50 hours a week on it minimum… And tell them they don’t belong, and don’t deserve to be on the forum, if they don’t do that. People mostly only do stuff when pressured to fit in to a group they want to join. You have to take people early on, when they are the most needy/desperate/chasing, and exploit the hell out of them ASAP while they are still willing to try.

This proves most of the other people are putting in way less time, care way less, etc. Otherwise they’d be willing to spend more than 2-3 minutes on guild stuff.

You having to explain things on voice is you fitting in and not being yourself. You wrote text. People didn’t pay attention. You changed for them. Then you repeated yourself a bunch on voice to fit in and get attention.

You don’t even know when you’re changing to fit in.