Eternity Async Tutoring

Look for a simpler solution to output T or F.

Always false:
(x & !x) | (y & !y)

This is saying that for any set of inputs, the inputs for x and y have to be both be “x and y” and “not x and not y”. That doesn’t work.

Always true:

(x | y) | (!x | !y)

This is saying that it could be “x or y” or " not x or not y" . Any x or y works.

Is this fine? I just thought of the simplest ways to get always true and always false.

Closer but there is simpler. Let me know if you need a hint.

Mmm. If your saying their is a simpler way to write always false and always true for two inputs then I need a hint.

I don’t know if maybe the simpler part is just focusing on just one variable. So x & !x = always false, or x or !x = always true.

Do you think there’s something about this that doesn’t work? Or do you think it isn’t simpler?

You can try evaluating x & !x for all values of x and y to see if it works.

I do think there’s something about this that doesn’t work. I don’t think it would work for two inputs. I do think it’s simpler. In the sense that it’s simpler to deal with one variable (x) instead of two (x and y).

Ok.
(x & !x)
x y
TT = T & F = F
TF = T & F = F
FT = F & T = F
FF = F & T = F

Hmm. I guess that works. I just evaluated the truth table using x and ignored y but it still worked? I think I did this right?

1 Like

It’s also simpler by being shorter and having fewer elements (fewer variables, fewer operators).

Using all inputs is not required. Have you done graphing algebra equations at all? On an x,y plane, you can do the equation x=3 and get a straight vertical line. You don’t have to write x=3+0y and don’t have to make the y more useful somewhere in the equation.

yes

1 Like

Huh. I like that comparison a lot. Yeah I have. That makes sense.

Construct some logic trees (arithmetic is fine too). Just make them up arbitrarily, not based on an expression. Then convert some from tree form to prefix expressions and some to infix expressions.

Trees.pdf (26.8 KB)

You did trees first, expressions second, right?

Assignment: Play the video game Baba Is You (currently on sale on Steam).

It’s a puzzle game with unlimited undo so you don’t have to start over if you mess up. It’s safe to do trial and error. It uses logical thinking and words.

Determine if you like it and/or think you’re learning something. If so, replace some of your other video game time with playing it.

If you’re interested, there’s also another puzzle game I particularly like, which is Toki Tori (1 not 2), so feel free to try it, but it’s more like a regular game and the puzzles aren’t based on words and logic as much.

1 Like

Yessir.

I tried looking for puzzle games that uses logical thinking previously with no success, so that’s cool. Tbh my strategy was to just do puzzle and logic and nothing that really looked like a logic game came up. I didn’t want to get a game and figure out if it’s a logic game.

Ok. Both games are available on switch so I went ahead and got them both to try out.

I work soon and late today, so I will share how they go tomorrow.

Does “do” = “use the search terms”?

Good.

Extra parentheses aren’t needed with prefix like they sometimes are with infix. If you’re unclear on this, show me a simple example where you think they’re needed.

I don’t normally use minus or divide with more than 2 inputs. I’d generally rather use addition with negatives or multiplication with fractions. One reason is that “subtract all the later numbers from the first number” is not a super common thing to do and it’s a less intuitively obvious meaning than the multi-input meanings that addition or multiplication have.

Do you play or know much about poker?

Yea. After I wrote it I realized it wasn’t too clear what I meant by do here.

Nope. I know pretty much nothing about poker.

or(or(or(x,y), z), z). Hmm. That makes sense I think. I’m not too sure though. For some reason after you told me they aren’t needed I can’t think of examples where I would need them. I put in extra parentheses as I go along, so maybe that’s why its hard? I can’t think of a simple expression where I would need them.