Eternity Async Tutoring

Adjectives can go after linking verbs, therefore you can check if something is a linking verb by making simple sentences with that verb and seeing if an adjective works with it.

By never used for another part of speech, I assume you mean rarely or never used as something else besides an adjective.

Ok. That makes sense.

Mmm, let me use pathetic.

Bob is pathetic.

Bob seems pathetic.

Bob smells pathetic. Ok, yeah that doesn’t sound wrong but it doesn’t make much sense to me, though I think this works kind of as a metaphor.

Bob has pathetic. Ok that doesn’t make sense. So has is not a linking verb.

1 Like

So for a few certain verbs a participle can act as an object?

Ok. I don’t know exactly what I was looking for. This sentence seemed pretty similar to “Lummox had obeyed.”:

Did you mean to put “if” there at the beginning? If not: take the words forming a tense and put them in one node. By putting them together it help avoids some grammatical complexity that could be unnecessary for philosophical analysis and having discussions. Do you mean something like this?:

Lummox had obeyed.

What do you mean by clause root?

I looked at the initial parts of their wikipedia entries and compared the information.

Non-finite verbs, Nonfinite verb - Wikipedia :

A nonfinite verb , in contrast to a finite verb, is a form of a verb that lacks inflection (conjugation) for number or person. In the English language, a nonfinite verb cannot perform action as the main verb of an independent clause.[1] Nonfinite verbs include infinitives, participles and gerunds. Nonfinite verb forms in some other languages include converbs, gerundives and supines. The categories of mood, tense, and or voice may be absent from non-finite verb forms in some languages.[

Non-finite verbs: lack conjugation for number or person (so they can conjugate in other ways?), they cannot act as the main verb of a sentence,

Finite verbs, Finite verb - Wikipedia :

A finite verb is a verb that contextually complements either an explicit subject or – in the imperative mood – an implicit subject.

Finite verbs: they complete the subject.

Here’s another tree in the meantime:

One afternoon was a mere nothing; Lummox could hold his breath that long.

I’m not sure about what to do with “that long”.

It should say “if you” instead of “if”.

the root of the subtree for that clause. the highest node in the tree that’s in that clause.

you know what the root of a tree is, right? a subtree is just part of a tree using a different root node with all its descendants.

your tree is good. yes “hold” is an infinitive.

“long” is an adverb modifying “hold” and “that” is an adverb modifying “long”. looking through dictionary definitions helps. you can try to find one that works for both meaning and part of speech.

that: adverb [as submodifier]
to such a degree; so: I would not go that far.

Here’s some writing to share and general updates:

I’ve been keeping up with Dface's Topic about Self-Help Books He's Reading and one particular post you made in the thread stood out to me that I thought was quite relevant to my life:

I think this kind of stuff applies to me. On most days I’m not a jerk and I’m not mean to people. I would say for the most part I get along with people quite well. However, if I’m tired (or hungry or something) I occasionally get angry and say mean stuff. I do genuinely apologize and feel bad, however I typically excuse it because it happened while I was tired and felt off. I think I take the bad thing I’m doing seriously but I don’t take it seriously that I am a jerk. Relatedly, I also don’t take fixing my anger seriously because when I do apologize and feel bad and acknowledge and all that stuff, I feel as if I’ve addressed the problem. I got angry. Said something mean. I apologized and recognize I messed up. It feels like, to me, the problem has been addressed. I think is true for a lot of other issues I have. I treat acknowledging and understanding a problem as addressing the problem.

Some writing I did today that I thought was related to feelings and stuff:

Thinking about it: I think it has been conflated that the being angry (or other negative emotions, but primarily angry) equals being a jerk. Anger is a feeling, so is happiness and so is sadness. So is pain, so is being tired. These are all things you feel. What you do in reaction to these feelings is not set. There are certain actions and behaviors you may do when you feel happy, angry, or sad. Those are not set in stone. Hmm. Lets go with some actions. Lets say your sad. You hear that your dog died. You knew it was coming. This makes you feel sad. Ok. Some people will get that feeling and start crying. Others can hear that and not cry. Others may go for a walk. You have control over how you act based on a feeling. If something angers you. You can choose to be mean to the person angering you (which can seem justified with that particular feeling) or you can choose to not say anything.

Last month I missed three days of writing due to a distressing event with a friend. So I wrote 28 out of 31 days.

Also due to that event I stopped playing Baba is You for a while. I recently (past week?) got back into playing it again. I don’t have my switch on me as I write this, but I beat around ~210 levels in the base game. One level in the base game I did look up a hint for, not a solution.

This past week I’ve beaten around ~60 easier levels from the other two level packs available to you.

After coming back into playing Baba I’ve realized I need a better method for approaching the harder late game levels (especially after losing momentum from my break). So I think I’ll try and use the method you shared in the Baba is You thread on some “easier” levels in the level packs before trying to the later game stuff in the base game.

What should you do to address the problem correctly?

So, to clarify, participles act as objects for certain verbs, such as “had” in this case. In “Lummox had obeyed.” Lummox is the subject, had is the action verb, and obeyed is the object.

Also here’s another tree:

From experience Lummox recognized this cycle as necessary and inevitable; nevertheless the immediate prospect was excruciatingly boring.

Ok that makes sense. I did look through the dictionary but I kind of confused myself when reading the definition. When I saw “to such a degree” I kind of read it as comparing it to something previously said. So in the sentence “that” seemed to me to be referring to the previous clause “One afternoon was a mere nothing” and I didn’t know if I should/could make note of that in my tree.

Mmm. So I’m answering this initially without researching. Here’s me brainstorming about it for 10 minutes:

• First of all I should/could actually research about how to deal with anger. I could look into how other people deal with anger. Maybe there’s different kinds of anger issues. I mean, I can get quite angry and I can yell quite loudly but I’m not violent. Others can be quite violent and may not speak a lot. I think I make the common(?) mistake that I already know how to do something, I just need to go ahead and do it. Subconsciously my anger management I already “know” how to do boils down to “just don’t be angry” and I feel like there’s no need to research this further. Well that hasn’t worked for me so far.
  • I’ve heard meditation is good for emotional management? Similar to how I mentioned I think I already know how to manage my anger, I started meditating a bit before I started doing CF tutoring. I’m ok about it. I do it 3 to 4 times out of a week. I thought/“knew” it would help with my anger, but it hasn’t. Its helped me focus when it comes to my studies, as I usually meditate right before doing CF (or any other studying). I should look into how meditation actually helps with managing your anger.
  • Maybe addressing some thoughts I have about anger itself? I do know that I’ve picked up over the years, quite chaotically, certain ideas about how to act when I’m angry. Part of me does think getting angry at people is cool in a certain way. Certain fictional characters get angry and I think their cool, so anger is cool. One example comes to mind as I write this: in the manga Kingdom there is a general named Kanki. From the wiki:
    • Rage. That is what drives Kan Ki. Rage that burns so strong it’s hot enough to melt even rock.

• The author writes him as this amazingly smart general. Some of the stuff he pulls off in warfare is cool as fuck to me. Part of me took the fact that he has all this rage as why he’s so cool, so me being angry is cool.
  • This isn’t related to how I would necessary deal with my anger but something that comes to mind. The only reason I’ve even become interested in addressing my anger is because, for whatever reason (though I could probably introspect and figure out), I didn’t get angry as much in high school with friends and stuff (I think) so it never affected my relationships too much. I did and still do get very angry with my parents. This never bothered me because they have been angry and mean towards me most of my life. Nearly everything with them becomes a yelling match even if I try to stay at a level voice with them. So I just didn’t care to fix my anger. As I’ve gotten older and its started affecting my relationships especially with girls its something I want to address. Hmm thats probably why. I had little to no interaction with girls in high school and (I think?) in high school my anger outbursts with guys was whatever with them.

You’ve got an error. See if you can find it.

Angry, loud yelling often threatens people with violence. It’s intimidating and scares people into backing down, giving in, deescalating, etc. They don’t know that you would never hit them. So basically you’re initiating force (by threat of force), even if you’re correct that you’d never hit them (which you might be incorrect about; that’s a hard thing to correctly and confidently know given bad signs like anger and yelling).

It’s way more complicated than that. Way more knowledge is needed.

What type of meditation?

People, particularly males, often hide weakness. Like if you yell at them and they cry, people would mock them and respect them less. It’s likely that some of the guys were bothered but pretended not to be.

I’m unsure. Some guesses I have:

• Prepositions need an object right? I labeled necessary and inevitable as modifiers and thought they were adjectives, but looking again at the dictionary they also function as nouns too. So I mis-labeled them?
  • Nevertheless doesn’t modify was? I’m not too sure on what it’s modifying, but maybe it’s not was? Maybe it’s prospect, since the prospect is being described as excruciatingly boring.

Oh that’s an interesting issue. I looked into it. I think it’s some sort of special case.

New Oxford for “as”:

preposition
1 used to refer to the function or character that someone or something has: it came as a shock | he got a job as a cook | they were treated as foreigners | as a dairy producer, you should evaluate and analyze your farm from many viewpoints.

This looks like the right definition, but “necessary and inevitable” don’t look like nouns.

https://www.websters1913.com/words/As

In two older dictionaries, “as” was not listed as a preposition.

OED doesn’t list “as” as a preposition today:

https://www.oed.com/search/dictionary/?scope=Entries&q=as&tl=true

Also, I found a claim that prepositional objects don’t always have to be nouns.

We know that noun phrase or noun clause function as object of preposition, but can an adverb fill that position. Yes, adverbs of place and time can.

Interestingly, in their examples, the adverb kinda looks/sounds like a noun intuitively, but then the dictionary says it’s an adverb (some are adverb or noun in the dictionary but others are only adverbs). I wonder if those words are really functioning as adverbs in those examples or if we just started using certain adverbs (places and times) as nouns sometimes.

Anyway, necessary and inevitable look like adjectives, and they certainly aren’t places or times. So I think “as” is just some kinda special case here that can have an adjective or group of adjectives after it.

@LMD

2 Likes

You got that right.

Does “as necessary and inevitable” make sense and work grammatically as a modifier for “cycle”?

That’s fair. I do yell at home, a lot, with my parents. I don’t really yell when I get mad with friends. The way I speak is clearly angry and I may say mean things, but I don’t typically yell outside of home. Hmm, though I may raise my voice. I don’t know if that can feel similar to yelling to someone. I usually am quiet. If I get angry I may speak at a normal volume and maybe a bit louder. The times I actually yell are mainly at home.

When it comes to the force stuff, that makes sense. I can see how someone wouldn’t know if I wouldn’t hit them.

When it comes to myself saying I’d never hit them, to clarify: I have gotten angry to the point of wanting to be violent many times. The only times I’ve ever hit people was a fight in elementary school, and in middle school. Twice that I can remember (I don’t think I’m repressing any memory of hitting anyone else). Most of the time I’m scared of actually getting violent. If I imagine, even for a second, a full on fight (with all of its consequences) my brain usually stops wanting to do anything violent. Hmm. So I guess I am violent. I just have (almost) never done anything directly violent.

As to why I’m violent. I think it’s two things: parents and media. My parents have beat me, each other, etc. I still remember my mom kicking me over disturbing her meditation when I was ~8(so much for the peace that brought her). When it comes to media I think I’ve just read a lot of stuff glorifying violence and stuff. A lot of action manga and stuff. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Berserk, but it’s a very violent manga and I like it a lot. People make jokes like “Violence isn’t the answer. It’s the question and the answer is yes.” Stuff like that resonates with me to an extent because I like these action series.

I agree. I was just sharing that I’ve come to notice that I have vague ideas about how to deal with some problems and so I don’t do research and stuff to properly address it. I have vague feelings about how to do a lot of stuff and kind of arrogantly(?) assume I don’t need to do further research.

I use headspace because I get it for free through Starbucks. From their help website:

Headspace combines techniques from both calming and insight meditation.

That’s fair. I’m still unsure of my angry interactions with guys, but I do know that in previous interactions with guys that guys pretend that certain things don’t hurt them. It’s kind of funny(?) how there’s a stereotype that guys who are close together will make fun of each other. The assumption is that typically the guys in that friend group are close and don’t mind it. I think that’s false. They act like they aren’t affected by the mean stuff that gets said in the friend group but they are. I know I’ve been and got made fun of for getting hurt. And I know that there’s usually someone who ends up blowing up over the mean stuff said at some point even though we all “knew” we were joking.

Hmmm. Maybe it’s modifying recognized? Its recognized as necessary and inevitable?

You didn’t answer my question.

Also, would it make sense and work grammatically as a modifier for “recognized”? What do you think? Why?

It often does feel similar.

Even if you don’t raise your voice, people can often intuitively tell when you’re elevated, annoyed, tilted, upset, angry, etc. In that case, the experience can feel similar to being yelled at even though the volume of your voice didn’t change. I think that’s because a lot of the negative experience from being yelled at is related to the yeller’s emotional state, not the physical fact of the loudness of his (or her) voice, so even if he controls his voice volume successfully (to keep it below yelling, or to keep it normal not raised) that doesn’t actually fix things. Angry people (and people experiencing other negative emotions) are often scary (and/or other bad things) whether they’re yelling or not.

1 Like

There’s always a first time. Getting angry like that is a big red flag that you might hit someone in the future.

You can find many examples of the first time online, e.g.: https://www.quora.com/My-boyfriend-hit-me-for-the-first-time-and-weve-been-together-for-2-years-Should-I-give-him-a-second-chance

My boyfriend hit me for the first time and we’ve been together for 2 years. Should I give him a second chance?

For two years, every day, he didn’t hit her. He had a long history of not hitting her. Then one day he did hit her.

There are also lots of ways to be abusive without hitting. Anger can cause or contribute to lots of bad things other than hitting.

Try reading some literature about women’s experiences. Besides search results like above, another option to read is: https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/search?q=he+hit+me&include_over_18=on

(Don’t comment on posts in that subreddit. Treat it as read-only.)

Men who don’t yell, and don’t appear to get very angry, and seem sweet, sometimes start hitting after years of not hitting. Sometimes the women are very surprised. There were often more subtle red flags and advance warnings. If you learn about how to see this kind of thing coming, you could evaluate if any more of those issues (besides yelling, anger and voice raising) apply to you.

If some of those articles or reddit topics interest you, then consider reading a book about domestic abuse. Or if you prefer videos, it’s possible to find many women sharing relevant stories on TikTok (don’t write in the comments).

1 Like

~yeah. Hmm. Thinking about it, I think part of me sometimes has the mentality I do from school where I just want to give what the teacher is looking for, instead of trying to explain. Explaining if it works grammatically requires effort (I was pressed on time when answering), assuming your just looking for the correct answer and just giving that is easier. Actually I think thats it. I think teachers, sometimes, ask stuff like does what your doing make sense as an indirect way to call you out on being wrong.

So let me try again:

Umm. Before checking anything, I’m not sure. I just kind of went off of the fact that “as necessary and inevitable” came right after cycle. Also if I’m understanding the sentence correctly its saying something like: this cycle has been recognized as necessary and inevitable. So “as necessary and inevitable” is giving more information about “this cycle”.

You shared:

Thats the definition I also used. So I’m assuming that the definition I used was fine. Trying to remember stuff about prepositions I looked at your grammar article again:

Prepositions are words like “with”, “to”, “in”, “about” and “of” which relate a noun to something else in the sentence.

So I’m still kind of unsure what it makes sense and if its grammatical to modify “cycle”. It doesn’t makes sense for it to modify “From”, “experience”, “Lummox”, since I don’t think we’re trying to give more information about any of those. Grammatically I don’t know.

Going off the definition of “as” I don’t think so anymore. My original reasoning was simply that Lummox recognized this cycle as necessary and inevitable. He recognized it as necessary and inevitable.

My only other thought is that maybe it’s modifying this? this particular cycle is being described “as necessary and inevitable”.