Justin's Miscellaneous Posts

I started using Apple Fitness+ exercise videos about 10 weeks ago. After trying different ones, I decided I liked the strength videos the most, so I have been doing those regularly.

I have gotten noticeably a bit stronger in just my day to day living (which is the point - the videos are focused on “functional strength” and not on building big muscles per se). I have noticed that things like bending down, stepping over things, or picking up objects seem easier than they used to.

I also do other stuff, like a bit of jogging or cycling (or occasionally using a SkiErg though I’ve had some issues with that and elbow pain), but the Fitness+ videos are the “main” thing that I do very regularly.

spoilery sept 14 apple event comments (focused on stuff of particular interest to me):

upgrades to ipad and ipad mini seem nice. regular ipad seems like a great value. ipad mini is more premium, which i thought was interesting. I think I’m more of an ipad pro guy (have a 2017 pro) but they both look nice.

watchOS 8 supports ebikes better re: calorie counting. that’s cool.

new series 7 watch looks nice. bigger display size. i think i’m due for upgrade (have series 4, use watch a lot).

they’re adding guided meditations to fitness+. They already had mindful cooldowns, which seems fine, but guided meditations kinda seems like it should be in a separate app to me - like I’m not sure it quite fits with fitness. whatever tho, i’ll try it, i’m already a fitness+ subscriber!

they’re doing group workouts in fitness+ so you can do group workouts with your bros. kinda cool.

new regular iphone has sensor-shift image stabilization stuff that was pro-tier on previous gen. pretty cool.

the cinematic mode video thing on new iphone is cool. i like that they give you more manual control as an option too. it sounds like you can change the focus even after the capture of the video.

main benefit of iphone pro vs regular seems to be ProMotion (higher refresh rate), higher brightness, better camera system (which can do macro photography), and bigger screen if you want to go with pro max. leaning towards regular iphone 13.

1 Like

from “The Obstacle Is the Way” by Ryan Holiday:

Edison once explained that in inventing, “the first step is an intuition—and comes with a burst— then difficulties arise.” What set Edison apart from other inventors is tolerance for these difficulties, and the steady dedication with which he applied himself toward solving them.

In other words: It’s supposed to be hard. Your first attempts aren’t going to work. It’s goings [sic] to take a lot out of you—but energy is an asset we can always find more of. It’s a renewable resource. Stop looking for an epiphany, and start looking for weak points. Stop looking for angels, and start looking for angles. There are options. Settle in for the long haul and then try each and every possibility, and you’ll get there.

(bold added)

I think that social dynamics stuff can play a role in giving people an unrealistic sense of how much effort is involved in achieving some goal.[1] People heavily downplay the amount of effort that they make. This creates a misleading impression of the amount of effort typically involved. Then if something is hard for someone (i.e. takes a lot of effort), they feel like maybe it’s not for them, that they are too dumb or untalented, or whatever. So under this hypothesis, social dynamics serves as a civilization-wide drag on people accomplishing stuff by misleading and discouraging people trying to accomplish something.

1. I think Elliot has talked about this, though I don’t have a specific citation - just trying to indicate that I don’t think this is my original idea ↩︎