Justin's Miscellaneous Posts

Mac dictation software someone mentioned on an email list I’m on. Looks interesting and Mac Desktop dictation software is an underserved space atm. No idea how good it is though.

Thought this was interesting - scientists realized that previous studies on diets hadn’t addressed a possible factor:

Pak and Lamming were inspired to conduct the study because researchers began to realize that previous studies had unintentionally combined calorie restrictions with long fasts by providing animals with food just once a day. It was difficult, then, to distinguish the effects of one from the other.

“This overlap of treatment – both reducing calories and imposing a fast – was something that everybody saw, but it wasn’t always obvious that it had biological significance,” says Lamming, who has long studied the effect of restricted diets on metabolism. “It’s only been in the past few years that people started getting interested in this issue.”

To untangle these factors, Lamming’s group designed four different diets for mice to follow. One group ate as much as they wanted whenever they wanted. Another group ate a full amount, but in a short period of time – this gave them a long daily fast without reducing calories.

The other two groups were given about 30% fewer calories either once a day or dispersed over the entire day. That meant that some mice had a long daily fast while others ate the same reduced-calorie diet but never fasted, which differed from most previous studies of calorie restriction.

It turned out that many of the benefits originally ascribed to calorie restriction alone – better blood sugar control, healthier use of fat for energy, protection from frailty in old age and longer lifespans – all required fasting as well. Mice who ate fewer calories without fasting didn’t see these positive changes.

1 Like

Posting this bit of a federal govt job website as an object for criticism. Do you see anything wrong with it? I mean anything - conceptually, grammatically, whatever.

I don’t think my complaint was that Rand failed to be complete in one of her subpoints. I was quibbling with a wording choice cuz I thought my proposed alternative actually fit her point better. Thinking someone should have used X wording instead of Y wording seems like a writing/wording disagreement, whereas in my thinking, a completeness disagreement would be something more like “They brought up points A and B but they should have brought up C too.” I could be wrong though. (I’m disagreeing with you AND Ayn Rand now so I probably am! :smiley:)

BTW i deleted the version of Atlas that had the messed up quoting so that I didn’t accidentally use it again.

The Fountainhead scene with Keating (emphasis added):

It was obvious that Shlinker could never hope to equal his own appearance or ability; he had nothing to doubt; he would always beat Shlinker and all the Shlinkers of the world; he would let no one achieve what he could not achieve.

I thought it was interesting that Keating thinks in terms of not letting people achieve what he can’t. The wording here seems significant. Like, Keating doesn’t even think in terms of beating others with his own achievements (which would still be secondhanded and bad if beating others was his primary motivation). The wording means that he won’t let others achieve that which he, Keating, can’t. So like, he’ll limit others to the limit of his own abilities. Gross :frowning:

https://tklglaw.com/when-is-an-alteration-a-material-alteration/

The Kinder Law Group was handling an issue today for a client who had filed a trademark application, but had made changes to the underlying trademark and wanted to “update” the application. The Trademark Office issued a preliminary refusal to the request to amend on the ground that the change allegedly constituted a “material alteration.” The Kinder Law Group has handled many of these types of changes and responded to many such refusals in the past, however, it had been about a year since the last one. Therefore, we decided to update our research records to prepare the argument. In doing the research, we noticed a profound lack of visual samples on the Internet. Therefore, we decided to consolidate as many cases (both precedent and non-precedent) that we could find and stick them into a chart. We believe it helps to visually perceive the alterations that have been allowed versus those that have been denied. We hope you enjoy and/or that it helps.

Lots of visual examples of changes to marks along with whether the mark was approved or denied and a case reference. Thought it was interesting.

I tried AirPods Max cuz Amazon had a good sale. Hated them after an hour or two and returned them immediately.

Downsides:

1. Hurt my ears
  2. Ears felt sweaty
  3. Sound wasn’t that impressive compared to AirPods Pro

Upside:

1. Noise cancellation unsurprisingly seemed very solid

Did you think they were worse than other over-the-ear headphones?

good question.

I thought they were probably about average or maybe a bit better. I’ve definitely tried headphones that hurt my ears more quickly (though I’ve had some that were better than AirPods Max as well). The noise cancellation seemed better than average.

I may be holding Apple to a harsh standard (I only bothered to try out over-the-ear headphones again in the first place cuz they were from Apple).

Oh, ok, your post didn’t really get they across. The way you wrote it sounded like you maybe thought they were worse than average.

If you normally don’t like over-the-ear headphones at all, then yeah, I think your standard is harsh. You are basically expecting Apple to make their headphones significantly different from other over-the-ear headphones in such a way that you would like them. I didn’t think the AirPod Max was specifically meant to appeal to people who normally don’t like over-the-ear headphones. I thought they were meaning to make a headphone option for people who specifically wanted over-the-ear headphones.

Fair criticism

Yeah fair.

Sometimes Apple does super amazing things (M1) or makes a product that gets me to use something I didn’t use before (Watch) but you can’t reasonably expect such things to happen all consistently

anyone know if there’s a tool on Mac that lets you select and OCR text on your screen (in e.g. an image or a PDF) with styling so that you can e.g. paste stuff with styling into a Word doc? @Max

TextSniper is a similar idea but just outputs plain text.
MathPix is a similar idea but just outputs plain text + latex formatting.
FineReader will convert PDFs to Word with styled text, but you have to convert a whole doc instead of just screen-grabbing a selection. It seems to be the best current solution if you want styled text output but is more heavyweight than I’d like.

re: finereader, you could take an image of some text, scan that, and export it to word. so you don’t need to convert an entire PDF. still kinda heavyweight

you can screen grab part of the doc, or crop it, and then finereader that so you only convert the part u wanted

article about trademark dispute

don’t really see a likelihood of confusion issue here

Abbyy has a screenshot reader but only on windows :expressionless: Convert Screen Content to Editable Format with ABBYY Screenshot Reader

OwlOCR isn’t quite what i was looking for but may be better than TextSniper for more basic purposes (more configurable)

This lets you make fonts smoother. I was having issues with font blurriness on external monitor (tried different display settings and whatnot) and it helped.