Justin's Miscellaneous Posts

it’s interesting how far modern usage of some philosophy-related words winds up from the original meaning. e.g.:

Cynicism (Ancient Greek: κυνισμός) is a school of thought of ancient Greek philosophy as practiced by the Cynics (Ancient Greek: Κυνικοί; Latin: Cynici ). For the Cynics, the purpose of life is to live in virtue, in agreement with nature. As reasoning creatures, people can gain happiness by rigorous training and by living in a way which is natural for themselves, rejecting all conventional desires for wealth, power, and fame, and even flouting conventions openly and derisively in public. Instead, they were to lead a simple life free from all possessions.

modern definition:

1. an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism.

42 posts were split to a new topic: Gaslighting discussion

big change

Apple seems to be doing what people want more. Another example is heavier laptops with tons of ports. These changes (both repair stuff and less heavier laptops with more ports) seem okay to me. I hope they’re the result of Apple coming to a new, reasoned judgment though, and not a sign that Apple is trying to please the crowd more.

They were actually facing potential legal issues for the right-to-repair stuff

The FTC also reiterated its findings from its earlier report on how manufacturers preventing or limiting the right to repair hurt consumers and small businesses.

In May, the FTC released a report to Congress that concluded that manufacturers use a variety of methods—such as using adhesives that make parts difficult to replace, limiting the availability of parts and tools, or making diagnostic software unavailable—that have made consumer products harder to fix and maintain. The policy statement notes that such restrictions on repairs of devices, equipment, and other products have increased the burden on consumers and businesses. In addition, manufacturers and sellers may be restricting competition for repairs in a number of ways that might violate the law.

“These types of restrictions can significantly raise costs for consumers, stifle innovation, close off business opportunity for independent repair shops, create unnecessary electronic waste, delay timely repairs, and undermine resiliency,” FTC Chair Lina Khan said during an open Commission meeting. “The FTC has a range of tools it can use to root out unlawful repair restrictions, and today’s policy statement would commit us to move forward on this issue with new vigor.”

The newly approved FTC policy statement will “target repair restrictions that violate antitrust laws enforced by the FTC or the FTC Act’s prohibitions on unfair or deceptive acts or practices.” And the FTC also asked for help from the public via submitting complaints about offending companies.

Apple is likely to be one of the companies impacted by this change along with future changes that the FTC may decide on.

As we previously noted, in its May report, the FTC specifically called out Apple over its authorized independent repair program and locking hardware components to its logic boards making repairs uneconomic or sometimes impossible.

macOS text replacement works okay, but it seems to want you to type a space after the trigger text to activate. this is annoying if you want to type something right after the replacement text with no space.

Keyboard Maestro (KM) lacks this problem.

I made a couple of text shortcuts in KM to insert math emojis, e.g.:

For basic math stuff I’m going to try this, and try limiting my use of LaTeX to more complicated expressions where it’s actually necessary.

KeySmith markets itself as being easier and more beginner friendly than Keyboard Maestro; might be worth checking out

i left the previous DisplayLink driver stuff in the Gaslighting thread as context, but I’ll follow up here with new, purely DisplayLink stuff

So right now I’ve got this set up with two 4k displays:

I’ve also got a 1440p connected directly to the MacBook Air, and I’m using software called BetterDummy in conjunction with that monitor (since HiDPI for sub-4k monitors is apparently broken in macOS now natively so you gotta do workaround).

I had an initial hiccup with the 4URPC product. It has a 60hz DisplayPort out and a 60hz HDMI out. In the initial configuration, one of my 4K monitors was flashing black periodically. But I switched which monitor was connected to DP and which one was connected to HDMI, and that appears to have totally fixed it.

BetterDummy has a setting called “Use mirrored dummy sleep workaround.” That was causing me stability problems, so I shut it off. Now everything is stable, though the 1440p monitor doesn’t go to sleep lol

Overall everything seems good now. If nothing breaks I think I can happily run this setup for quite a while

noticed some of what i take to be compression artifacts but nothing major

I was previously using my 2015 iMac as a Plex server to serve content to my iPhone that I would watch using the Infuse iPhone app. With that setup, I would sometimes get a “buffering” pause while watching videos. The design of the Infuse app (which does “direct play” video playback that eliminates the need for transcoding) is supposed to be particularly good for avoiding that kind of playback issue, but I still had problems. In any case, I switched my Plex server from my iMac to my M1 MacBook Air, and now I don’t seem to have any playback issues anymore.

From an interview with Ayn Rand in “Focus on Youth”, a radio show hosted by Garth R. Ancier, 1976, as presented in Objectively Speaking - Ayn Rand Interviewed[1]

Ancier: You seem to hold the view that if man reasons out his values, his emotions will
come into perfect accord with them. You believe that he will never have conflicts—an
emotional desire to do something that is contrary to his intellectual goals.

AR: That’s right.

Ancier: In view of the efforts of behavioral psychologists to alter behavior by unblocking people’s emotions, how can you scientifically support your assertion that
emotions accord with reason?

AR: The simplest way would be for me to say, “Here I am.” Scientifically test
me and you will find that in my whole life—and I am quite old—I have never had an emotion that I couldn’t identify or that clashed with my reason for
longer than perhaps a day, at most. If it’s a very complex emotion, the reason
for which I don’t readily know, it will take me a day to identify it.

A day seems pretty fast (I believe her, I’m just noting the speed, which is impressive given that people struggle with emotional conflicts for years and die without resolving them)

Skipping ahead in the quote:

On the positive side, let me briefly answer your question about how to
prove the relationship between reason and emotion. Define what you would
take as proof and then conduct any experiment you want in regard to correlating human knowledge and emotional response. Teach people first of all
how to introspect, and your experiments will discover the correlation very
simply. I will borrow one example from the experience of a very good friend
of mine, Dr. Leonard Peikoff. He is a philosopher, and he told me that when
he would teach in universities, even to freshman classes, he would proceed
to explain the Objectivist theory of emotion. Then, without any warning, he
would distribute examination books as if he were suddenly going to give the
students a test. They were horrified and indignant, saying, “You didn’t warn
us that there was going to be an exam.” He let them indulge their emotions
for a while, and then explained that this incident should prove to them, by
introspection, that their emotions come from their knowledge and their
values. They thought that an exam would be dangerous to them and so they
felt angry and frightened. The moment he told them it was only an experiment, their thinking changed and their emotions vanished. That’s a simple, experimental proof.

I see Peikoff’s point but it seems mean and unethical to me to intentionally cause your students distress in order to prove a point. I doubt that there was a disclosure the students signed when signing up for the class that they’d be participants in psychological experiments.

Also Rand frames it as the students thinking an exam was “dangerous”, but, were I in the situation of the students, I’d be thinking that a surprise exam with no warning was unjust. I wouldn’t be thinking it was particularly dangerous, because my guess is that the other people in the class probably wouldn’t do super great on a surprise exam either, and there are often curves involved in such things, so…

1. Based on the disclosure of editorial changes made in the preface of Objectively Speaking, I would not treat this as a transcript. ↩︎

1 Like