SENS, Aubrey de Grey, and Harassment

LOL this guy is incredible. He denies the particular statement but then validates that he thinks in a compatible way.

Atlas Shrugged:

ā€œMother, Iā€™m running a steel plantā€”not a whorehouse.ā€

Aubrey: Proudly wanted to turn his research laboratory into a whorehouse for donors by pressuring young women.

1 Like

I thought SENS should focus where they had a competitive advantage ā€“ intellectual stuff ā€“ but AdG 1) turns out to be a bad intellectual 2) explicitly wanted to use any and all non-intellectual tools. One context for my opinion was donation campaigns and marketing, that I thought should try to stand out intellectually instead of trying to blend in with the same pandering that other charities use.

He likes being the general in such a major cause. It glorifies him and he thinks it justifies stuff, like non-intellectual methods, that would otherwise be bad. Ironically he thinks trying to do something so important justifies him worrying about rationality less.

But he doesnā€™t see it as a responsibility to live up to. Heā€™s never like ā€œThis is a big deal, and Iā€™m the general, so I damn well better make the SENS newsletter and website be good. I need to get some website and internet marketing experts.ā€ Doing a shitty job at some stuff is fine with him, and then he brings up being a general when it suits him.

The six-week investigation into [Complainant #2ā€™s] allegations against me has concluded. It was conducted by someone named Sue Ann Van Dermyden - look her up - good luck to anyone who tries to paint her as a whitewasher. It has found not only that those allegations are 100% fictitious

The consequence (other than my reinstatement, obviously) is that a new investigation is being launched, again by Sue Ann, but this time investigating SRF so as to identify the actual villain. The existence of that new investigation is going to be made public tomorrow afternoon - unless, drum roll, it is obviated/aborted by new information.

this guy is just off on another planet, spinning ridiculous fantasy stories

itā€™s common that ppl with high social status stop being responsive to critical feedback.

pplā€™s mechanism for listening to others and accepting corrections is generally mostly a social mechanism thatā€™s not great at truth seeking. some people with very high social status stop seeking approval and trying to get approval, cuz they have enough, so then it breaks their ability to get corrections and stay tied to reality.

oh thatā€™s interesting

so if you win at second-handed status competitions the ā€œprizeā€ is an even looser tie to reality than you had before

Next, we find Dr. de Greyā€™s message an attempt to distract from his own conduct ā€“ part of which he admitted (sending a sexual message to underage mentee Complainant #1) ā€“ and to point to another individual as the ā€œactual villain.ā€ Regardless of anyone elseā€™s motives or conduct in pursuing an investigation, the fact remains that Dr. de Grey is responsible for his own conduct, regardless of how it came to light.

Indeed.

solid report

The part where he implied both saving someoneā€™s career and also ending their career in the same email was ominous to meā€¦

The consequence (other than my reinstatement, obviously) is that a new investigation is
being launched, again by Sue Ann, but this time investigating SRF so as to identify the
actual villain. The existence of that new investigation is going to be made public
tomorrow afternoon - unless, drum roll, it is obviated/aborted by new information.

I probably donā€™t need to spell out anything more. [Complainant #2ā€™s] career is absolutely
over as things stand, and the only reason it actually isnā€™t is because I am a man of honour
who refuses to let somebody (especially a meteoric rising star) be burned at the stake
while an actual villian [sic] gets away scot free and is thereby emboldened. Yes she will
have to take some lumps for being so gullible, but thatā€™s not such a big deal. BUT, what
will completely torpedo my rescuing of her is if she is seen to be resisting the
identification of the actual villain. So now, as in tomorrow (Thurs) morning, is the time
when [Complainant #2] needs to find her mojo and spill the beans. As of now, a few
people are in the frame as the culprit. [Complainant #2] needs to name names, and fast,
so that no one gets to know that this new investigation is happening as a direct
consequence of her insincerity to Sue Ann and the world.
And you need to tell her so, as probably only you can. Go to it.

Heā€™s so condescending in this tooā€¦

Like:

Yes she will have to take some lumps for being so gullible, but thatā€™s not such a big deal

Heā€™s like offhandedly insulting this personā€™s intellect while asking her for help while threatening her while offering to ā€œrescueā€ her careerā€¦ What a rollercoaster

This reminds me of something AdG wrote to Celine:

https://www.sens.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/SENS-Executive-Summary-For-Public-Release-FINAL-091021-00323152xC0E95.pdf

Iā€™ve just been told that youā€™ve been tweeting a low opinion of me, though without any explanation. I had no idea that you had any reservations about me, and I hope you know that Iā€™m not scared of criticism and donā€™t ever take it personally. Iā€™d really appreciate knowing what Iā€™ve done that has caused this. Happy to skype/zoom/whatever if you prefer.

My first thought, when I read this, is that heā€™s a liar, and such lies are common and give ā€œopen to criticismā€ a bad name. People ā€“ rightly ā€“ donā€™t trust it. ā€œTell me what you really thinkā€ said the emperor ā€“ and then I did ā€“ and then he didnā€™t like it and had me executed. ā€œTell me what you really think, I want to hear criticism and doubtsā€ is often a trap to try to trick enemies into exposing themselves.

But my thought now is: AdG isnā€™t scared of criticism, and doesnā€™t take it personally, because if he doesnā€™t like it he just assumes itā€™s wrong. He holds frame and doesnā€™t let threatening stuff into his reality. Like Rami.

People find criticism scary because they remember it and think maybe itā€™s right, but if youā€™re fully arrogant and donā€™t care about facts then you can just dismiss stuff you donā€™t want to hear ā€“ be like ā€œoh itā€™s cute that you have that misconceptionā€ and just try to correct the critic (or think that and donā€™t reply since you arenā€™t very approval seeking cuz you have so much already and/or think you do). There were signs of this in DD communications with me and others where he was pretty openly saying he deals with disagreement by trying to think of how to explain to the other guy that they are wrong, not by considering that he might be wrong himself. That arrogance makes criticism an annoyance (correcting ppl takes work and sometimes they resist corrections) rather than leading to actually doubting yourself. This stuff works best if you already have lots of status so if some critic doesnā€™t like you and fails to be corrected that isnā€™t a big deal.

heart ā†’ hear I think

And good points. Iā€™ve said Iā€™m open to criticism in the past but was often lying to myself. However, if people give me real criticism then, I do my best not to respond negatively because Iā€™ve just asked them to do specifically that, so it would be weird to respond poorly to a thing I specifically asked them to take a risk to give me.

AdG FB posts. Before report released:

https://www.facebook.com/aubrey.degrey/posts/6689637291061723

After:

https://www.facebook.com/aubrey.degrey/posts/6690833170942135

Doesnā€™t say much.

First comment on that second facebook post begins:

The report denies the most serious part of the accusation - cutting funding as retaliation.

Is that really the most serious part? I guess retaliation would be more serious than harassment (maybe) but this kind of diminishes the seriousness of the acts the report found him actually guilty of.

Rest of the comment:

In spite of this, the language of the post is quite harsh. I am really scared by the behavior of the people in SRF board, the way they behaved is simply unacceptable! Starting from unanimous firing up to using very harsh language that harms reputation of Aubrey.

Edit: Many of the FB comments seem supportive of Aubrey. People seem to think that this didnā€™t constitute harassment, asking people for sex is OK, and that if he didnā€™t corner someone or do something more than email them, then itā€™s not that bad.

If itā€™s not that bad, but Laura and Celine told the truth, then why are they so mad at Laura and Celine for revealing true, minor stuff? Hell, even lying about accusations that arenā€™t a big deal would not be that big a deal, right? Like if I lied that my boyfriend ate the last cookie after I said I wanted it.

I imagine this would lead to so much self-deception over time. If he canā€™t be corrected on stuff where he just discards the criticism, heā€™d basically be stuck with those errors ~forever.

Good point. If I lied about someone stealing half a sandwich from me 10 years ago in elementary school, nobody would really care. Although maybe lying in general should be a bigger issue than people make it out to be, because if Iā€™m willing to lie about that, what else am I willing to lie about to achieve my goals?

If itā€™s such a big deal to do whatever it takes in the war on aging, and specifically to act in ways donors like, why doesnā€™t AdG do that himself and lead by example?

He has a reputation for being drunk. Thatā€™s gotta turn off some donors. Plus, if he didnā€™t drink at dinner events, heā€™d have his wits about him better, and make better decisions about what to say to donors. He could think strategically better.

He wants women to use their femininity with donors, but he wonā€™t even spend a day sober. And then, while drunk (and while emailing women that they should use non-intellectual asserts), he wants people to donate because they believe in his mind and intellectual vision.

1 Like

Whether he would or wouldnā€™t, I think his analogy reveals something nasty about how Aubrey views actual or potential SENS donors.

I think there is enough similarity between trying to solve aging and a war to not dismiss the analogy itself out of hand. Most notably, if we fail to defeat aging the consequences are a fuck-ton of suffering and death. I think there are problems with the analogy too though. Aging isnā€™t creatively plotting against us; it canā€™t be negotiated with or persuaded; it doesnā€™t have the kind of secrets that could be revealed by pillow talk.

Nevertheless if we go with the war analogy, I think it is possible sometimes to use sex as a weapon against someone on an enemyā€™s side in a war - to get access, information, or money to do something the person wouldnā€™t want done.

Is that also true if the person is already on your side? Like, did/could Brits have slept with Americans in WWII so weā€™d help out more in the war? Seems like a stretch, and it definitely wasnā€™t the analogy Aubrey chose.

Similarly with neutral parties: Did the allies send women to sleep with Swiss politicians in hope that theyā€™d come into the war on the allieā€™s side? Would that have worked? I really doubt it, and Aubrey didnā€™t use that analogy either.

Aubrey used sleeping with Nazis in his example. So it sounds to me like Aubrey views his actual/potential large donors as being on the side of aging in the war. He thinks itā€™s necessary to use sex as a weapon to get them to help the anti-aging side, cuz otherwise they donā€™t want to. The donors are an enemy to be defeated - with sex if necessary - rather than an ally who wants to help.

It kinda fits with Aubreyā€™s pro-aging trance idea. I just didnā€™t think he extended that all the way to people seriously considering a large SENS donation.

2 Likes